Mini-Review - 5442-Z4E-S3 AKA B54IR-Z4E S3 - Replacement to the 5442-Z4E

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I received the IPC-HDW5442T-ZE S3 (from Andy's lottery) and I have it temporarily next to the 'old' one. With the exact video settings the image is indeed a touch brighter.
But I haven't dialed in exactly, so...

The new UI finally looks like something from the 21st century but of course you have to search sometimes to find things.
Drawing IVS lines isn't working correctly (after a few lines it only clicks again if you draw the next line to a certain side of the previous line(s) or something, very weird.)
Also, still frequent video drops (black image with circle loop) when editing video/image settings. Works a bit better in Pale Moon than Chrome, but still...

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I received the IPC-HDW5442T-ZE S3 (from Andy's lottery) and I have it temporarily next to the 'old' one. With the exact video settings the image is indeed a touch brighter.
But I haven't dialed in exactly, so...

The new UI finally looks like something from the 21st century but of course you have to search sometimes to find things.
Drawing IVS lines isn't working correctly (after a few lines it only clicks again if you draw the next line to a certain side of the previous line(s) or something, very weird.
Also, still frequent video drops (black image with circle loop) when editing video/image settings. Works a bit better in Pale Moon than Chrome, but still...
In the camera, change it from h265, to h264 and see if that helps.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
is the new interface compatible with the original models?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Great, might have to consider one of the newer models by end of the year :rofl:

Nope different chipset, so you can't flash the new GUI firmware on the older model and vice versa.

But we know you like the newer, younger models :lmao:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Drawing IVS lines isn't working correctly (after a few lines it only clicks again if you draw the next line to a certain side of the previous line(s) or something, very weird.)
Not on this camera but in UI3 generally, I found you have to draw continuosly. Otherwise you cannot draw much before it says no. Also there is a limit to the number of lines you can draw (not sure if that was a thing on the older cameras). That said, you draw quite a few with continuos drawing and if not enough, can add another trip wire and add more.

At the rear of my house - 2 trip wires here a ground one and the one covering the bay top / fence top - plenty of lines. I'll try and post a pic later. Another thing to beware is the direction of the lines and the fact that you can't make a mistake. If you let go and set the lines, from memory, you have to delete and start again. You can stretch line ends after the drawing is finished if not satisfied but adjustment is limited. Mine took many draw attempts before I was satisfied on coverage and trip direction. Also beware trip wires to walls. It's very easy to leave a non visible gap that someone can walk behind without going through the trip. One of the biggest issues, lack of 3d drawing / no proper anchor system to ensure wall to wall coverage.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Update on Andy's IPC-B54IR-Z4E-S3 camera located in the pine tree AKA LP4. I am still fighting the same issue with some of the close in plates getting too much light and doing a white out. Shielding the security camera has helped some and also the LP3 location which is doing great. I think I have figured out the problem. I think the problem is that this camera does not like plates close in depending on the angle of the plate. The North bound cars on the other side of the street showing their front plates are doing just fine. Most of the South bound cars showing their rear plates are doing fine but a bunch of them are whiting out. Nothing I have tried is working. So, I think I will move the camera over to the edge of the tree and above my 6B camera and that way I can focus the camera a little further down the street and get more distance in. That is what I will be working on today.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Here are two pictures from last night to show what I am talking about. You can see that the plate is completely washed out. However, by the time the car starts to leave the view of the camera the plate starts to come into focus. On some cars they never come into focus and stay washed out. I moved the camera today and will see how that turns out. I gained some distance but not as much as I would like. The tree in the sidewalk is giving me problems for the field of view. You can see it in the far right of the picture. Another problem is the 1/1000 shutter speed seems to come and go. I do not see it at all when the camera is set to night and day. In the Self-Adaptive setting it comes and goes. Today that option was back on my LP3 Camera but not on my LP4 camera.

12223 White Out Plate Middle..jpg

12223 White Out Plate Far.jpg

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Update from last night. Still the same problem. I even went to color because of the light, but that did not work. What I am going to do is move this camera to my LP2 position as that is the longest yardage I have to a license plate. I am going to make an extended hood for it to try and cut down on the light reaching the camera. Even going to a 1/10000 shutter speed does not work with this camera. So, IMHO this camera only likes certain locations. I would say low light is better. With the current LP4 location there is a streetlight nearby on the other side of the tree. I did not think that would be a problem, but maybe so. This camera is getting too much light from somewhere. The possibilities are there but I think Dahua needs to make some adjustments for license plate reading.

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
A few updates. Seeing as this is a new thread I need to post a couple of pictures of Andy's IPC-B54IR-Z4E-S3 camera at my LP3 location. This camera works great at that location. I have the mode set at Self-Adaptive, shutter at 1/250, both the near and far IR settings are zero. I also have the HLC set at 100. Now I am moving the IPC-B4IR-Z4E-S3 from my LP4 location to my LP2 location. For some reason there was just too much light hitting the camera for good license plate gathering. So, I have made an extended visor for this camera and hopefully that will cut down on the light hitting the face of the camera. I will post a photo of it. I will be installing it today and tuning it tonight. Here are the photos.

Extended visor

12323 Extended Camera Visor.jpg

Rear plate at the LP3 location.

12323 LP3 Tesla Rear Plate.jpg

Two rear plates at the LP3 location

12323 LP3 To Rear  Plates.jpg

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Wait, what? There’s an S4 version now?

A few updates. Seeing as this is a new thread I need to post a couple of pictures of Andy's IPC-B54IR-Z4E-S4

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, I have the same nighttime license plate glare problem at the LP2 location as I did with the LP4 location. It is either a problem with this camera or a firmware problem. I will send Andy a private message and see what his contacts at Dahua have to say. By the way, having BLC on helped a tad. HLC at 100.

12423 LP2 License Plate Glare Self Adapt..jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These do so much better letting light in, try increasing the shutter speed.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At 1/10,000 your image isn't completely black at night?