Missing frames & Ghosting in Recorded Video

Trifecta

n3wb
Reaction score
Try using find inspect to pull the onvif profile...The rest of us don't have your problem and our video does not look like shit...Try recording to the SSD to eliminate the drive as an issue.. You did not properly test the disk.. Moving files around is meaningless.. Windows reporting is meaningless... Disable hardware acceleration..If the problem goes away try updating the Intel HD driver
No change. I changed the New folder to the SSD, restarted BI, walked in front of the cam, and the recorded video has the same ghosting. Looks exactly the same as it does on the HD. This is a frustrating issue.

Trifecta

n3wb
Reaction score
You might also try dropping your bitrate to 4096..Yours is set way to high for 10fps at 1080
I've been trying to fix this for a few days, and I have tried setting all cams set to 3072 Kbps, 10fps, and lowest video quality, and it doesn't affect this issue in any way. Ghosting just the same.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been trying to fix this for a few days, and I have tried setting all cams set to 3072 Kbps, 10fps, and lowest video quality, and it doesn't affect this issue in any way. Ghosting just the same.
Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Also match your iframe interval to your fps..In the image you posted they do not match

Trifecta

n3wb
Reaction score
Email support
I emailed support before I came here. They were able to help me solve another issue, but for this ghosting issue, the last reply I got was that the only way they will be able to help customers with this issue will be to add in a new kind of log to BI. I guess I'm hopeful that this new update I just downloaded implements this new log...

Trifecta

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration?
I tried it now. No effect, still pixelated ghosting in the recorded video. (Actually, there was one effect - my CPU usage now looks like a sawtooth wave in Task Manager, swinging between 30% and 80% with about 8 peaks per minute.)

Also match your iframe interval to your fps..In the image you posted they do not match
I've tried every combination of FPS and iframe... matching one another, iframe lower than fps, fps lower than iframe. This issue is completely unaffected.

Trifecta

n3wb
Reaction score
Fenderman, I really appreciate you trying to help. I'm calling it a night but I'll be back tomorrow. I'm going to keep at this, I retain some hope that there's just some obscure setting I have wrong that will fix this completely...

Thanks again.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
try disabling/removing half your cameras and see if your bottlenecking something, tearing like this is often an indicator of iframes being dropped.. there can be lots of causes, from hardware to software to network

is there any way to force TCP RTSP Streams in BI?

Trifecta

n3wb
Reaction score
try disabling/removing half your cameras and see if your bottlenecking something, tearing like this is often an indicator of iframes being dropped.. there can be lots of causes, from hardware to software to network

is there any way to force TCP RTSP Streams in BI?
I'm not sure about forcing TCP RTSP streams. There's a checkbox where I can select using RTP/UDP ports, which is unchecked. Right now I believe it's already using RTSP port 554.

I disabled 5 of 6 cameras, lowered the frame rate and bitrate again, and I still get the ghosting.

I'm going to uninstall and re-install. If I can't get this working today I'm going to try some other software. This shouldn't be so hard.

Trifecta

n3wb
Reaction score
@Trifecta To properly test the HD, you need to go to WD's site and download Data Life Guard diagnostic and follow the instructions.
I would do that if I had a reason to believe the HD was the issue, but I experience the same issue when I don't use the HD at all, and write to my SSD.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
One more thing to try is uncheck use rtsp timecode.

Trifecta

n3wb
Reaction score
One more thing to try is uncheck use rtsp timecode.
I uninstalled, then spent some time going through all my device drivers (graphics driver, NIC, BIOS, chipset, everything) to make sure everything is fully up to date. I reinstalled. Somehow it's even worse now. It has the same issue on recorded video, but now, the live view freezes, jitters, and shows what looks like compression artifacts on motion.

I also tried unselecting the RTSP timecode, and it didn't change anything.

I'm about at the end of my rope here.

Trifecta

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe this will help with debug?

I've been accessing the Hikvision cameras directly via the Web Browser using their "Webcomponents" plugin. Up until now, I've only been accessing it via a different PC than the one running BI (I'm controlling my server that runs BI via remote desktop).

Anyway, I went ahead and tried to view the camera via browser on the other computer, and I can see that the live stream isn't nearly as good as it is on my desktop. The video is a little choppy and has those compression artifacts or whatever on moving objects.

So I don't think it's a Blue Iris setting at all that's causing the problem, and I'm sure that abandoning BI to start over with some other program wouldn't help. For some reason my new computer that I installed BI onto isn't able to properly receive and decode the stream from the camera, even via the live stream from the camera itself.

Any idea why this might be the case?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe this will help with debug?

I've been accessing the Hikvision cameras directly via the Web Browser using their "Webcomponents" plugin. Up until now, I've only been accessing it via a different PC than the one running BI (I'm controlling my server that runs BI via remote desktop).

Anyway, I went ahead and tried to view the camera via browser on the other computer, and I can see that the live stream isn't nearly as good as it is on my desktop. The video is a little choppy and has those compression artifacts or whatever on moving objects.

So I don't think it's a Blue Iris setting at all that's causing the problem, and I'm sure that abandoning BI to start over with some other program wouldn't help. For some reason my new computer that I installed BI onto isn't able to properly receive and decode the stream from the camera, even via the live stream from the camera itself.

Any idea why this might be the case?
Try disabling all antivirus and firewalls running..I just watched the video in the OP and that is by far the worst i have seen. Move the BI pc to the same switch as the pc that has no issues to further troubleshoot..

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try disabling all antivirus and firewalls running..I just watched the video in the OP and that is by far the worst i have seen. Move the BI pc to the same switch as the pc that has no issues to further troubleshoot..
Just a thought, don't use RDP. Use a monitor connected directly to the bi server. Shut down Rdp on the bi machine. Minimize the bi viewing window.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
might have a junk network card in that device, check it for errors.

Trifecta

n3wb
Reaction score
I previously added exceptions for every executable I could find related to BI into Windows Defender. I don't have any other AV running. I can temporarily disable real-time scanning with Defender but Win10 turns itself back on. In any case, temporarily disabling Defender, and disabling Windows Firewall, didn't help.

The computer that's running BI and having problems is hard-wired to my router/Wi-Fi access point. The other computer (my desktop) that works much better is only connected over Wi-Fi, from that same access point.

The 6 cameras are connected to a PoE switch, and one of the ports on the switch is connected to one of the ports on the router/AP.

Trifecta

n3wb
Reaction score
might have a junk network card in that device, check it for errors.
The NIC is integrated in my Asus MB. I have been using the latest driver from the Asus Website. In response to this comment, I allowed Windows to update the driver, and Windows pulls a different driver. Not sure which one I should use. In any case... both seem to work OK, and neither changes the video issue.

I'm not sure how to do other tests. I have transferred many TB of data onto another HDD on that PC that's running BI, and didn't have any issues. I've even gotten it to max out at a gigabit per second and didn't seem to have any issues with the data.