Mobile App Playback Question

Chuck Claunch

Banned
Reaction score
I've got a couple of cameras on the way and am going to use BI to record them. The computer running BI will be headless most of the time so I'll be largely using the mobile app to access the system, view recordings/live feeds, etc. What I want to know from current users is, is it pretty quick and easy to open the mobile app and instantly play back the last 1 minute or so of a specific camera? This is probably our most desired feature. I.e. sitting at home late at night and hear a noise, I want to be able to quickly load up the corresponding camera and see the last minute or so of video.

Chuck Claunch

Banned
Reaction score
Just for clarification to anyone else reading this. So the mobile app does not actually have a feature which allows you to quickly rewind a camera. It does let you quickly see motion events. So if your plan is to turn off motion detection don't count on being able to quickly see the last few minutes of video.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just for clarification to anyone else reading this. So the mobile app does not actually have a feature which allows you to quickly rewind a camera. It does let you quickly see motion events. So if your plan is to turn off motion detection don't count on being able to quickly see the last few minutes of video.
You can absolutely review the last few minuets of video. Simply drag the time bar. Regardless, why would you disable the motion detection?

Chuck Claunch

Banned
Reaction score
Ok I see now. Those area all the files available in that calendar listing, not just alerts. That was the key. You still have to kind of fidget around to get what you want but it works. Might be a nice feature to suggest (30sec/1min "instant replay"). I will probably leave motion detection alone, I just didn't want to have to rely on it to quickly get a previous few minutes of video.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I see now. Those area all the files available in that calendar listing, not just alerts. That was the key. You still have to kind of fidget around to get what you want but it works. Might be a nice feature to suggest (30sec/1min "instant replay"). I will probably leave motion detection alone, I just didn't want to have to rely on it to quickly get a previous few minutes of video.
the alert give you an instant reply. Use it. Set it up right and it will work just fine.

Chuck Claunch

Banned
Reaction score
What if there was an animal that didn't trip the motion detector I wanted to see but normally don't want alerts for? I see it as a perfectly valid idea.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What if there was an animal that didn't trip the motion detector I wanted to see but normally don't want alerts for? I see it as a perfectly valid idea.
Knock yourself out and send a suggestion... won't be implemented... there is limited room in the app interface for nonsense like that...you can use the calendar view if you are dying to see it..

Chuck Claunch

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah... instant replay... such a "nonsense" idea that every TV DVR in existence has it. Thanks for your help... kinda.

Chuck Claunch

Banned
Reaction score
By the way, the interface is cluttered because there's a bunch of useless buttons on it. Why do I have PTZ controls wasting my UI space when my camera doesn't have it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah... instant replay... such a "nonsense" idea that every TV DVR in existence has it. Thanks for your help... kinda.
TV dvr is completely different concept and use case....like i said, knock yourself out...posting the idea here and wishing really hard is not going to get it done..you need to email support.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
By the way, the interface is cluttered because there's a bunch of useless buttons on it. Why do I have PTZ controls wasting my UI space when my camera doesn't have it?
What if you have a ptz cam and want instant replay on it? Since you have all these great design ideas, why dont you email support and ask for changes. Once again, wishing for them here is useless.

Chuck Claunch

Banned
Reaction score
TV dvr is completely different concept and use case....
I hit a button to replay something I missed. It's exactly the same thing.

like i said, knock yourself out...posting the idea here and wishing really hard is not going to get it done..you need to email support.
I wasn't wishing for features here. Don't whine at me about it if you're going to defend them tooth and nail as if it's the greatest piece of software ever developed. I asked a very clear question in my original post before I purchased BI. Your answer was not very precise. Instantly playing back the previous minute or so is much clumsier than what I asked in my question. Depending on file size you have to go drag the slider around to a specific time. Not the same thing. Would you be ok with doing that on your TV? Drag a 2" long slider with 6 hours of video to a precise minute and let me know how that works out for ya. Heck I'd take a simple rewind button. Play/pause/rewind, all very basic controls concerning video of any kind.

What if you have a ptz cam and want instant replay on it?

Then customize the interface. Dropping every possible control into the interface is lazy development. Especially when there's about 300 tabs worth of settings for each camera already in the main interface. How about we put a cruise control button in a car that doesn't have it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I hit a button to replay something I missed. It's exactly the same thing.

I wasn't wishing for features here. Don't whine at me about it if you're going to defend them tooth and nail as if it's the greatest piece of software ever developed. I asked a very clear question in my original post before I purchased BI. Your answer was not very precise. Instantly playing back the previous minute or so is much clumsier than what I asked in my question. Depending on file size you have to go drag the slider around to a specific time. Not the same thing. Would you be ok with doing that on your TV? Drag a 2" long slider with 6 hours of video to a precise minute and let me know how that works out for ya. Heck I'd take a simple rewind button. Play/pause/rewind, all very basic controls concerning video of any kind.

Then customize the interface. Dropping every possible control into the interface is lazy development. Especially when there's about 300 tabs worth of settings for each camera already in the main interface. How about we put a cruise control button in a car that doesn't have it?
I remember your last post...thats why my responses are the way they are. There is no "they" in blue iris. Its developed by a single user - HE IS VERY LAZY PUMPING OUT FREE UPDATES TO YOU EVERY TWO WEEKS WITH NEW FEATURES. You are an idiot!!!. You seem to have better ideas than the developer an think you can do better. So either write your own software or use one of the MANY other VMS packages. Milestone will be free for 8 cams beginning October 10. That app has almost no functionality compared to blue irs mobile. Or why dont you try hikvisions mobile app, you'll come running back to blue iris.
Dont make your file size huge!!!! cut it every hour, the slider is just fine. If you turn your phone into landscape it becomes larger.
Before ranting..LEARN the app, there is a rewind button!!!!!! Are you blind? Not only can you rewind but you can go back 1/4 speed up to 4x and fast forward up to 64x.... My god did you spend more than five minuets with the app!!!!
Seems like blue iris is not for you. Look elsewhere.
MY answer was very clean, go back and read the post. Set your alerts PROPERLY. You will catch every event. Then you will OPEN to the alerts window as I CLEARLY explained. But i guess you were duped by me to purchase this useless software. Oh well. Live and learn. You know there is a trial version which your could have tried, then you would have been only out 60 dollars. I challenge you to try and use the hikvsion mobile app and see how that works for ya.

Chuck Claunch

Banned
Reaction score
-So you hold grudges/hard feelings towards people who don't agree 100% with you. Good to know.
-No need to call anyone names.
-I didn't call the developer lazy. I said it was lazy development. Huge difference. Kinda like if you say someone did something idiotic, vs calling them an idiot.
-The app is not free. It's only right to provide updates to an app you continue to sell (especially for $50 + $10 for the mobile).
-I don't want that many files.
-I didn't rant at all, you did. All I did was ask a simple question to which you gave an imprecise answer.
-I'm not blind at all. There's not a rewind button. There's a skip button. Skips ten minutes in my files. A rewind button plays the video backwards (usually at varied rates)
-I was asking questions about Blue Iris before buying *because* I wanted to see if it was for me. Your answer did not help. Your fanboyisms don't help either.
-Do yourself a favor and just ignore my posts if you're going to act like this every time. It's not worth my time to sift through all the pointless garbage you spew if anyone does something other than what *your* "nominal" case is. It's certainly not worth your time.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
-So you hold grudges/hard feelings towards people who don't agree 100% with you. Good to know.
-No need to call anyone names.
-I didn't call the developer lazy. I said it was lazy development. Huge difference. Kinda like if you say someone did something idiotic, vs calling them an idiot.
-The app is not free. It's only right to provide updates to an app you continue to sell (especially for $50 + $10 for the mobile).
-I don't want that many files.
-I didn't rant at all, you did. All I did was ask a simple question to which you gave an imprecise answer.
-I'm not blind at all. There's not a rewind button. There's a skip button. Skips ten minutes in my files. A rewind button plays the video backwards (usually at varied rates)
-I was asking questions about Blue Iris before buying *because* I wanted to see if it was for me. Your answer did not help. Your fanboyisms don't help either.
-Do yourself a favor and just ignore my posts if you're going to act like this every time. It's not worth my time to sift through all the pointless garbage you spew if anyone does something other than what *your* "nominal" case is. It's certainly not worth your time.
Its not a grudge. Its the sense I got from your posts that you are BETTER than the developer and dont understand why BI operates in a certain manner.
There is no huge different, lazy development means the developer is lazy. Nothing could be further from the truth. Stop with this idiotic parsing of words.
You believe you are entitled to FREE updates with new features? See here is the entitlement. In general software developers include NEW functions in NEW versions which they charge you for. In the VMS industry you get 90 days of support and updates, YES 90 even if you pay 50 dollars PER CAMERA. When you jump to 100 per camera you can get ONLY 1 year of FREE updates. You are entitled to NOTHING.
THERE IS A REWIND BUTTON-----SEE THE MINUS SIGN. Not only can you rewind but you can go back 1/4 speed up to 4x and fast forward up to 64x.... My god did you spend more than five minuets with the app!!!!

I will not ignore anything since you post misleading information. LEARN THE APP.
Yes we fanboys scammed you and lied. If you are so particular why didnt you download the DEMO, you would have only been out 10 dollars. Now you are out 60..oh well. Now PLEASE go find a better app and let us all know about it. What a moron.

Chuck Claunch

Banned
Reaction score
-You call it an "idiotic parsing of words" I call it correctness. Saying something was done in a lazy manner does *not* call that person lazy. You can post in font size 75 all day long it doesn't make you any more correct.
-A child can pick up a remote and find the rewind button. It sure as heck won't have a minus sign on it. It's not even remotely intuitive to have the user "play" the video with a negative multiplier.
-You posted misleading information to my initial question. It's obvious that you post from a skew that this software is the best thing since sliced bread. It's also obvious to anyone reading this thread. IMHO that achieves a correct unbiased answer with facts, if people care to sift through all your ranting to find it.
-I'm not out any money, I will use BI and probably like it just fine. Just don't act like the guy you paid $60 is doing you a favor to maintain the app you purchased.
-Making suggestions does not make any implication of being "better" than anyone. They are just that, suggestions.
-You know far more about the app than I do and I would welcome your help if it didn't come with so much baggage and pompous disregard for anyone doing anything different from you. It appears there's a lot of intricacies to this app that require "more than five minutes" as you say to learn. That's disappointing. My intended use of this app was to monitor my home not spend hours pouring over settings (which is why I ask questions on this forum instead of doing just that). An open mind to various uses of a piece of software helps the developer improve their product (which is why I emailed them/him already).
-I am a software developer and will tend to look at software I use with a critical eye. No need for you to take that as a personal attack on the shrine that is your BI setup.