Monitor 2 Locations with 1 BI installation?

rowdyplace

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a 2 camera system running smoothly on my home dedicated PC system using 192.168.xxx.yyy camera addresses.

Can I/how can I cause this installation of BI to connect to 2 other cameras at my vacation home 450 miles away using their external ip address (172.223.xxx.yyy:port)? I have high speed internet at both addresses. I have port forwarded the 2 individual ports on the 2 distant cameras and can verify they are open using "canyouseeme".

"I need a little help from my friends..."

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 2 camera system running smoothly on my home dedicated PC system using 192.168.xxx.yyy camera addresses.

Can I/how can I cause this installation of BI to connect to 2 other cameras at my vacation home 450 miles away using their external ip address (172.223.xxx.yyy:port)? I have high speed internet at both addresses. I have port forwarded the 2 individual ports on the 2 distant cameras and can verify they are open using "canyouseeme".

"I need a little help from my friends..."
Port forwarding is a huge security risk, don't do it. Be sure to turn off UPNP on all network devices, including routers and cameras.
Best option is to setup OpenVPN on both the home and vacation router. Setup the home router as server, and vaca as client.
Then you just use the internal IP's of the vacation home cams in BI.
VPN Primer for Noobs
Randy : OpenVPN on a Asus router
Also, click on the "wiki" at top of the page and read the cliff notes.
If you don't have OpenVPN capable routers, Ausus is a good choice for replacements.

Reaction score
I did this exactly, but it's a 2nd home on a cable internet connection 1000 miles away, and I didn't want to use port-forwarding (tons of nightmare threads on that already).

Also checkout: VPN Primer for Noobs that whole thread is great info.

I had an Asus Consumer Router at the old house [REMOTE] (your vacation home), it supported OpenVPN. At the primary residence [PRIME] I setup a pfSense mini computer to be router/firewall but another consumer router that supports OpenVPN might work (although a pfSense appliance would be only $150 and a full blown consumer router might run a little bit more). For me the PRIME router opens a persistent OpenVPN connection to the REMOTE. When the power or internet goes down at the REMOTE I lose camera feed, which could be addressed mostly by a UPS (usually power outages are 1min-4hrs and internet are 4-6 hours when they happen). Maybe there is a way to wire this all up, get it working, then pack one device in your luggage to deliver to the vacation house but not how I did it?

The Blue Iris server is at the PRIME location and records over the VPN connection 24/7, and I can monitor it Blue Iris on a 21" monitor at my work desk.

The tricky part to navigate is the Open VPN setup (at least for me it was my first time setting up VPN). And the second tricky part was configuring the two routers since I could never be at both at the same time (they are 15 hours apart).

Having been through this I would do the following:
  1. Before the next time you go to vacation house - setup your home with OpenVPN support on your phone and laptop. This will allow you to "call home" so you can work on both endpoints from either one. Also while you are in there change your home network away from 192.168.1.x which both my consumer routers had for default.
  2. If you have a dynamic IP on one or both ends, you will have to setup a DDNS service on the router(s) so they can find each other (each will report their IP changes to the DDNS service) then the DDNS provides the correct IP every time you use the name.
  3. test your home OVPN before you leave - best to know that's working before the trip.
  4. Read up on a bunch of OpenVPN tutorials and make sure the consumer router(s) you have/buy can both do OpenVPN.
  5. Whichever router is the server (the other will be the client), the server can generate an ovpn file which you'll have to transport/email to the other endpoint. I set the remote house as an OVPN server to accept incoming connections from the primary house. I ended up using a TUN-style connection and AES-256-CBC encryption because it was supported by both endpoints.
  6. The routing (to me was confusing) but when you get to troubleshooting identify routing issues by pinging using the router built-in tools, first to the opposite endpoints public IP (the one on the internet), then to the VPN endpoint IP (I used 255.255.255.252 netmask, this gives only two endpoint addresses) then finally to the router internal network IP, and ultimately from the occupied house to the camera ip and back.
Using this approach, I could expand to several cameras at remote location before I approach the 6MB/s upload and 1000 GB/month limit of my cable provider. Since downstream is usually bigger pipe, at the PRIME location you will be downloading all day and using some bandwidth -- I have a 1Gbps symmetrical fiber connection at the PRIME location, so it didn't really matter so much.

Some really smart people around here might have better options (or simpler), but I can tell you this one will definitely work, if you have the time/effort to give the OpenVPN setup. I've been recording like this for about a year because I was always stressed that I couldn't know if anything was happening 1000 miles away, unless I made a plane/car trip back and visited. Next time I travel back I plan to add 3 wide-angle 2MP Dahua starlight on the outside, so can hopefully 1. see if the sidewalks need shoveled or the grass needs cut or 2. spot any would-be criminals before they break into the house so I can call the cops.

Other lessons learned:
  • Insurance company will charge you a higher rate for unoccupied property even with 24-hour surveillance.
  • a $3 digital thermometer setup just at the edge of the camera frame can make sure the house is staying above freezing, I travel back and forth so I didn't winterize it, maybe you do so it isn't a concern, or maybe your vacation house is somewhere nice and warm.

Last edited:

rowdyplace

n3wb
Reaction score
looney2ns & crw030:

Thanks for the responses.
Being somewhat lazy and thoroughly retired, I was hoping for a simple(er) solution...
Looney2ns - thanks for the reading materials.
crw030 - I appreciate all the step by step details.
Looks like I now have an opportunity to learn just what VPN means.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's not really difficult setting up in an Asus router.
Your current router might already support OpenVPN.
A VPN is a Virtual Private Network, it securely "tunnels" through the internet from point A to point B.

Routers with OpenVPN can be had for $100, no Pfsense mini computer required.
You can remotely access routers for setup issues' if need be. Be sure to use a very good password.
Once you get the hang of it, a VPN can be setup in minutes.
It's no harder than forwarding ports.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-RT-AC66U-802-11ac-AiProtection-Optimization/dp/B008ABOJKS/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1523977998&sr=1-7&keywords=asus+router

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
@rowdyplace Although looney usually gives very sage advice, I would caution against opening up the WAN admin access.

If you must open up the WAN admin access, do it for the absolute minimum time required to complete the setup, the WAN is a dangerous place, and with enough time you are bound to have your router compromised if you aren't careful.

This was the first time I setup a VPN, so I struggled through it a little, but there is a lot of help out there for something as common as OpenVPN, and specifically related to Asus OpenVPN setup also. You can do it, and as looney states without anything more than a couple consumer routers that support OVPN!

awahl101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wouldnt recommend pfsense for the average user, its more work but it does work well. I run this at my house however. I would do a basic ipsec vpn if neither ends support open vpn currently.

something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L0KZP22/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1524013970&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=router+ipsec&dpPl=1&dpID=31RLBgeaDWL&ref=plSrch

then create a free no-ip account for ddns.

you would have to change your internal ip range if both are using 192.168.1.x etc

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldnt recommend pfsense for the average user, its more work but it does work well. I run this at my house however. I would do a basic ipsec vpn if neither ends support open vpn currently.

something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L0KZP22/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1524013970&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=router+ipsec&dpPl=1&dpID=31RLBgeaDWL&ref=plSrch

then create a free no-ip account for ddns.

you would have to change your internal ip range if both are using 192.168.1.x etc

that cisco is end of life...no more security updates in a few months...its worth 0 dollars.

awahl101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
that cisco is end of life...no more security updates in a few months...its worth 0 dollars.
something like that, was more of a cheap example. netgear has some decent ones for fairly cheap. all depends on the budget, open vpn is usually going to be the cheaper option as its found on more consumer gear.

rowdyplace

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the assistance!!!

There is little in life more exhilarating than a steep learning curve!

Getting my practice field ready. My home router is Netgear Nighthawk R7000. It seems to have a VPN capability. Also, about a block away from my home is an office system that I maintain (a camera system) and it has a Linksys WRT 1900 PF router that has it's own VPN function. Neither of these sites employ a VPN. I plan to "practice" on these two just so i can make my initial learning mistakes locally.

Any negative comments on either of these routers for VPN?

Reaction score
@rowdyplace Just make sure before you start you know you have ONE router that can connect as a VPN client to the other router. A quick check shows either of those routers can be the OVPN server with built-in firmware. I don't see anywhere on those where either can be an OVPN client. There might be LT2P or PPTP VPN client on your Netgear R7000 stock firmware, but not sure if the Linksys can be a server for either of those.

Some quick googling it looks like some third-party firmware (possibly DD-WRT?) might support OVPN client functionality, but flashing a firmware (and potentially "bricking" the router) wasn't something I was prepared to try. Maybe someone here knows more, just scanning the manuals I didn't find it, but as I said I am a VPN noobie!

Forget I mentioned pfSense, I can confirm the learning curve is SIGNIFICANT compared to consumer router firmware I have seen (mostly Asus/Netgear/Linksys). That was just the setup I went with to learn more about networking and because my Tomato flashed Asus router died after just a few months so I needed something new anyway.

CanDoThis

n3wb
Reaction score
what should the second routers IP address be assigned to avoid conflict with 192.168.1.x...?

Reaction score
Literally any other private network subnet, see: Private network - Wikipedia

I used 192.168.77.x and my current network is divided as 192.168.20.x (LAN) , 192.168.21.x (wifi lan), 192.168.30.x (av lan) , 192.168.31.x (camera lan, really just blue iris now because I ended up doing network separation with dual nic).

The separate network with poe switch that all the cameras are plugged into is 192.168.1.x default network.

LOTS OF OPTIONS MORE OR LESS COMPLICATED!