More cameras or better cameras?

Howar

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it better to have more cameras or better resolution. I probably could cover what I need with 3-4 cameras. If I went with 2MP cameras, I could probably buy double the number of higher quality 8mp cameras. The longest distance I need to identify is 35'

Howard

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it better to have more cameras or better resolution. I probably could cover what I need with 3-4 cameras. If I went with 2MP cameras, I could probably buy double the number of higher quality 8mp cameras. The longest distance I need to identify is 35'

Howard
your premise that 8mp is better than 2mp is flawed.

Howar

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you expound upon that? I know that some of the 2mp cameras have superior low lux performance. I just put up quantity 3, two build flood lights with 15watt LED bulbs that will go on photcells. Plus there is a streetlight at the other side of my 30x28 driveway pad

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I vote more cameras. :D

To @fenderman 's point, more MP doesnt necessarily mean better for every need. Seems the 2MP Starlights are still king in low light for the buck performance. Dont know about your environment but more Bad Things (tm) happen around my place at night.

I think too many folks often try to get by with too few cameras. Around an average home in an average neighborhood, you have lots of choke points and corners, bushes, cars in driveways, doors, windows, trees... and lots of places you want positive facial recognition. I could "cover" the 4 sides of my house with 4 big MP cameras. But I doubt I'd be happy with the "coverage".

I think its more about choosing the right camera for the right job in each location. A good 8MP cam may be a good choice for your 35ft ID need, then again a 5X zoom 2MP Starlight may accomplish the same thing with better low light performance..

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
If you need ID at 35 feet, look at installing a PTZ. The zoom will give you the pixel density you need for a good facial shot whilst giving you the advantage of 2mp night vision. Needs partnering with a wide angle camera though to avoid anyone slipping in under the zoom whilst it's focused on another subject.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you need ID at 35 feet, look at installing a PTZ. The zoom will give you the pixel density you need for a good facial shot whilst giving you the advantage of 2mp night vision. Needs partnering with a wide angle camera though to avoid anyone slipping in under the zoom whilst it's focused on another subject.
I second the vote for more cams
Sorry, you don't need a PTZ for ID at 35ft.
Study this>> cliff notes.
And notice the IPVM lens calculator in the notes.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Whereas I defer to your knowledge on this subject, when I put the figures through the IPVM using your target of 100pf, I found that with a 2mp camera to achieve 100pf at 30 ft, the max lens angle could be 35 degrees (using a 7.5mm lens). Whilst it achieves the pf target, it is a narrow angle of view so I'm presuming you have in mind having this plus a wide angle. The reason I suggested a PTZ + wide angle was because it has subject tracking so can zoom from wide angle to zoom for close up identification when a target is detected, whereas with a fixed 35 degree view, someone could easily be out of the side of the fixed focused view at 30 feet. I'm happy to be corrected though as I'm far from an expert.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thus "more cameras"... Does your PTZ auto-track correctly 100% of the time? Day and Night? Curious as I have read that most dont.... partially why I dont yet own one..

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thus "more cameras"... Does your PTZ auto-track correctly 100% of the time? Day and Night? Curious as I have read that most dont.... partially why I dont yet own one..
Yep, only in rare case's, and only after LOTS of tweaking has been performed. Mine still likes to look at the trees, the ground, the sky instead of it's intended target 80% of the time, so tracking is turned off.

As @jmcu puts it, "auto tracking will piss you off, so don't depend on it" or something along those lines. :)
And he has enough PTZ's to know first hand. ;)