More marketing BS or is there a sliver of truth?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
More hype than truth. 1/2.5 sensor tells the real story. Low light performance won't be very good at all.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
And lower than 30fps gives you a slide show, not video. Where do these "responsible" people come from? They do more harm than good. I also guess a camera can't be hacked because it's not a computer, either, just a camera.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow. So with the "big discount", this camera is $277?!?!

You can get a 4K Dahua varifocal turret for around $200, and a 4K Dahua fixed-lens for around $150. Like @awsum140 mentioned, low-light image quality (esp motion) on these 4K cameras with 1/2.5" sensors isn't nearly as good as it is on the 2MP Dahua Starlight models.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @myipcam

Note their calling this a "dome" camera is similar to Lorex terminology and imho we should really call them turret or eyeball cameras as they do not have domes.

Back Street compared to others - I have also seen enough of their videos to have less trust in what their representative states in the videos.

In general, I'm certain that this is a decent product - however at the price they are listing it for $326.00 ( $277 w/the discount ) I think you can find a better buy for what you maybe looking for.

I suspect that particular camera will perform about as well as the lastest Dahua OEM IPC-HDW48xx as it does appear to have the same sensor and close to the same specs ( 15 fps at "4K" ). I did note the Back Street camera has 3 main streams - so it some some decent processing capability.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I spent last evening with a DEA agent and his Corrections officer wife, no, this was a social gathering. ;)

They like to talk about their jobs, and security cams came up sometime during the evening, and I was pointed to as "that guy" for cameras by my BIL.
He and his wife were discussing adding cameras around their home. They both have had a lot of experience in viewing security footage. From banks, pharmacy's, jail with a population of 800+, rings, nest, etc. She mentioned if something occurs in the cell block, that retrieving the video was a nightmare, and that they hoped the camera that they needed to view from was actually working. This jail was new 15 years ago.
Can't get replacements, contractor that installed all the equipment when the jail was built is long defunct.

Anyway, I demoed my setup from my phone. It was 9pm and very dark....to say the least, they were blown away.
Their experience was mainly with Diebold and Pelco stuff.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
looney, ya gotta know if the Government was involved, bid process, that it was over priced and below par. Our tax dollars hardly work.
We go through this where I now work. For all my adult life, I owned a small business, or worked for medium sized ones. Now I work for a small municipality.

The way we are forced to do "business" by state and local law as well as the perceptions of many city employees is shocking to me. To say we get ripped off constantly is an understatement. Anything over a certain cost must be designed by the town's engineering firm. Then that hot mess goes out to bid, and the work goes to the lowest bidder.

All of this, mandated by law, to make sure everything is on the up and up, and to assure the town gets the best deal. Yeah, right!

We never get what we really want or need because the engineers (god-like creatures who are not to be questioned) have no working knowledge of the technologies in question, or the actual needs of the town, and it would be beneath them to actually listen to any lowly town employees. We spend approximately three times what we should. And we are stuck working with these badly designed, shoddily-built messes for years to come.

No actual business would tolerate this or operate this way. It's so sad to see the town's meager resources squandered this way, but there is no way out of it due to the ridiculous laws under which we must operate.

At a certain point, you get tired of banging your head against the wall, and just roll over and take it. My wife works for a federal agency. It's even worse where she works.

Your tax dollars at work, indeed!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I worked for the County Government for a year and couldn't stand it. The waste is mind boggling, plus they can't fire anybody. There was a clerk who passed out drunk at her keyboard at 9 in the morning, after dropping her kids off at school on the way in! That was her fifth or sixth similar incident. The solution was "counseling" and "retraining" which had been done in all the previous cases. They did start the ball rolling to fire her, but that was going to take at least five years assuming the union didn't object too much.

My wife works for the State and that's even worse. I warned her before she took the job but her supervisor was a nice lady and actually had a semi-working department in spite of everything. Unfortunately, she, the supervisor, passed away and everything has gone downhill in a spiral that's constantly speeding up. It's to the point now that work might get done between idle conversations, as long as those conversations don't interrupt watching movies, reading books, texting or talking on the cell phone. Doesn't leave much time for actual work. Heck, they don't even answer the business phone most of the time.

Like I said, our tax dollars hardly work.