Motion detection and clip recording

Gas75

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I am an happy user of Blue Iris on a very simple setup.
I have 2 cams an hikvision and a Foscam which are set to record on motion detection.
I have question regarding how the motion detection algorithm works. Now motion gets detected but often i find that the recorded clip doesn't catch the whole action. Sometimes it fails to record the first seconds and if the motion continues it often stops before action completes.
I would like to record the entire action when it happens so i tried changing the "End trigger unless re-triggered within" and the "Pre-trigger video buffer" parameters by giving it more seconds.
Unfortunately that didn't help much. I still get videos tht starts later than i want and often ends too soon.(When the action continues longer on camera)

Is there something i am doing wrong?
Can you help me?

Thanks
Gas

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Gas,

Are you doing continuous recording?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am an happy user of Blue Iris on a very simple setup.
I have 2 cams an hikvision and a Foscam which are set to record on motion detection.
I have question regarding how the motion detection algorithm works. Now motion gets detected but often i find that the recorded clip doesn't catch the whole action. Sometimes it fails to record the first seconds and if the motion continues it often stops before action completes.
I would like to record the entire action when it happens so i tried changing the "End trigger unless re-triggered within" and the "Pre-trigger video buffer" parameters by giving it more seconds.
Unfortunately that didn't help much. I still get videos tht starts later than i want and often ends too soon.(When the action continues longer on camera)

Is there something i am doing wrong?
Can you help me?

Thanks
Gas
when using direct to disk recording, it starts on the iframe. in your camera match the iframe interval to your fps.
also make sure your MAKE time and other detection settings are not set too high otherwise it will detect late...
set the BREAK time to at least 30 seconds, from the default 10.

Gas75

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Gas,

Are you doing continuous recording?
No i am recording on motion.

when using direct to disk recording, it starts on the iframe. in your camera match the iframe interval to your fps.
also make sure your MAKE time and other detection settings are not set too high otherwise it will detect late...
set the BREAK time to at least 30 seconds, from the default 10.
You are right i am using direct to disk recording because my "server" is very low power so it's impossible to reencode.
I checked and found that iframe was already matched to fps which were both 6 (in hikvision) now i have moved all cameras to 15 fps constant but i cannot set iframe on the foscam. (does framerate or cbr vs vbr change anything?)
Found the MAKE parameter and it is set to 0.7 seconds on both and changed the BREAK value to 30 sec..
I'll try it this way.
Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No i am recording on motion.

You are right i am using direct to disk recording because my "server" is very low power so it's impossible to reencode.
I checked and found that iframe was already matched to fps which were both 6 (in hikvision) now i have moved all cameras to 15 fps constant but i cannot set iframe on the foscam. (does framerate or cbr vs vbr change anything?)
Found the MAKE parameter and it is set to 0.7 seconds on both and changed the BREAK value to 30 sec..
I'll try it this way.
Thanks
you dont want to reencode anyway, you just need the proper settings...

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here ya go bud, hope this helps.
This guys vids are pretty nice and easy to find on google.