Motion detection/email

shawnek

n3wb
Reaction score
I have put a couple of these into a test environment, and I believe I have them set up correctly. However, I cannot get either to trigger the motion detection email. The selector is set to enable, the active time is always.

The test email does work (received) but it doesn't ever seem like motion is detected and nothing is ever sent. I drew the square box over where I was expecting to capture motion.

Questions:
Is some sort of NVR required? I just have the cameras, and I was under the impression that the cameras could send snapshots on their own.

Video quality is excellent, but was hoping to use this feature. Any input would be appreciated, or a place to look to start.

Firmware is 5.2.0 150126

Magnus357

n3wb
Reaction score
I have put a couple of these into a test environment, and I believe I have them set up correctly. However, I cannot get either to trigger the motion detection email. The selector is set to enable, the active time is always.

The test email does work (received) but it doesn't ever seem like motion is detected and nothing is ever sent. I drew the square box over where I was expecting to capture motion.

Questions:
Is some sort of NVR required? I just have the cameras, and I was under the impression that the cameras could send snapshots on their own.

Video quality is excellent, but was hoping to use this feature. Any input would be appreciated, or a place to look to start.

Firmware is 5.2.0 150126
Under the linkage tab, do you have "Send Email" ticked on?

Another thing to check is the camera log. See if the motion events are being capture. I'm not positive that cameras without SD cards can do logging though as mine logs to the NVR.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What email provider are you using? I had my emails stop working with GMAIL not too long ago. I had to log into the GMAIL account and change a setting to allow third party access to send email. Otherwise it just failed to send anything.

shawnek

n3wb
Reaction score
What email provider are you using? I had my emails stop working with GMAIL not too long ago. I had to log into the GMAIL account and change a setting to allow third party access to send email. Otherwise it just failed to send anything.
What was the setting? I did tell google to allow nonsecure apps to access. Was it something else that needs set? If you're not using google, what do you use instead? I can trigger events but nothing ever gets sent. I did get the test emails to send with no problems..

If I access through NVMS instead of the web client, I do see that events are triggered. But no email is sent, and in the log it says Error Code 2. Failed to add attachments.

- - - Updated - - -

Under the linkage tab, do you have "Send Email" ticked on?

Another thing to check is the camera log. See if the motion events are being capture. I'm not positive that cameras without SD cards can do logging though as mine logs to the NVR.
Yes, send email is on. No log, as there is no storage in the camera as far as I am aware.

--This really shouldn't be this hard. If I can't get this basic function to work, these are going to have to go back.

Last edited by a moderator:

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is another thread like this somewhere around here where I give a link and a little more info, but I currently use yahoo and no issues with it.

shawnek

n3wb
Reaction score
There is another thread like this somewhere around here where I give a link and a little more info, but I currently use yahoo and no issues with it.
I am really starting to wonder if there is a bug in this firmware for email or if there is a problem on how emails are done with attachments. I can't get anything other than a gmail smtp connection to even test (gmail tests with test message, but not with anything for events.) and I can't get anything else (yahoo, outlook, gmx, etc.) to even connect at all to send a test message. I've blown way too much time on this and frankly I'm to the point that if it's not going to work I'm going to return these and buy something else. The cameras seem to be of good quality, and the image is good, but the email/motion detection so far isn't working and I'm not very happy.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am really starting to wonder if there is a bug in this firmware for email or if there is a problem on how emails are done with attachments. I can't get anything other than a gmail smtp connection to even test (gmail tests with test message, but not with anything for events.) and I can't get anything else (yahoo, outlook, gmx, etc.) to even connect at all to send a test message. I've blown way too much time on this and frankly I'm to the point that if it's not going to work I'm going to return these and buy something else. The cameras seem to be of good quality, and the image is good, but the email/motion detection so far isn't working and I'm not very happy.
Post images of your network settings as well as motion settings .. It is likely a settings error...

Sent via Taptalk

shawnek

n3wb
Reaction score

I'm hoping these are clear.

Note: I also installed the ivms4200 software. It registers the motion events, but also will not email. Gives Error Code 2, failed to add attachments.

Test emails from web interface as well as ivms4200 come through.

Attachments

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Because you can send a test email, I don't think its this but you could give it a try (may explain why you can't use yahoo and etc). For the username it seems you only have your actual first part of the email. For my setup anyways and what gmail says you have to use your full email address in the username field.

shawnek

n3wb
Reaction score
Because you can send a test email, I don't think its this but you could give it a try (may explain why you can't use yahoo and etc). For the username it seems you only have your actual first part of the email. For my setup anyways and what gmail says you have to use your full email address in the username field.
Have done both ways, and with all services.

- - - Updated - - -

yes, use full email, because for yahoo emails some can be: username@yahoo.com or username@ymail.com
It won't know the exact login you are attempting.
Yes. When attempting yahoo I used the full email address as the username. Was never able to get it to successfully email the test email. Only the gmail one sent the test email correctly through.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On mine, I use yahoo to send my emails, and they're sent to my gmail address.
GMAIL gave me some problems, I got it sorted, but it's easier for me to use yahoo

smtp.mail.yahoo.com

ssl

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How is this camera connected to the network?
How is your network setup?

Sent via Taptalk

shawnek

n3wb
Reaction score
How is this camera connected to the network?
How is your network setup?

Sent via Taptalk
The camera is on the internal network on PoE, which is behind a NAT router. Not sure what else you're looking for for information. I send email out from other points on the internal network with no issue. There is no port forwarding set up.

- - - Updated - - -

On mine, I use yahoo to send my emails, and they're sent to my gmail address.
GMAIL gave me some problems, I got it sorted, but it's easier for me to use yahoo

smtp.mail.yahoo.com

ssl
Tried this, Yahoo mail would not ever pass the test email. Gmail seemed to be the only thing that would pass the test e-mail.

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
pic attached in the e-mail is very very small. hardly tell who.I wish it can send a full size image to my email.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How big are the pictures?

I have mine recording in 1080p/2MP and the screenshots are 2MP.

shawnek

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you know if the motion detection is actually triggering or not?
There is something strange about the box drawn for motion detection...its looks like a simple four line box, when it should look like a grid.
http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/File/2014331154743485.pdf
Try redrawing it...
It will not draw a grid. The only option is to draw the square.

When I use the iVMS software, it has a grid and will capture motion events. But that's not pushed to the camera, as I'm not looking to run an NVR, just have the cameras and the events emailed to me when they happen.

- - - Updated - - -

How big are the pictures?

I have mine recording in 1080p/2MP and the screenshots are 2MP.
I'd be happy with any sized pictures, it's just not sending anything at all.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Something is wrong with that camera or firmware.. It should draw a grid..

Sent via Taptalk

ADCS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This probably isn't your issue but I will post it anyways. I had the same issue, with the same firmware. I could receive test emails but that's it. In my case it was Mac filtering on my router. The camera Mac addressees were not on the allow list. Once added to the list or if Mac filtering was turned off, the emails worked. I could never figure out why the test email worked regardless of Mac filtering.