Motion Sensor Set Up?

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been toying with the Motion Sensor settings in BI and have excluded the street in front of my house but when I view video recorded that whole area is masked off too. I'd like to have the whole picture and thought this was for setting the area where motion will trigger a recording and send me a text. BI is still sensing cars on the street in front of my house but I get this (screen shot) as the video although the snapshot shows the full scene. I'm not sure what I did wrong. I'm still getting motion detected outside the zone.

Blue Iris Recording.jpg" data-xf-init="lightbox" data-lb-single-image="1" data-lb-container-zoom="1" data-lb-trigger=".js-lbImage-attachment15381" data-lb-id="attachment15381">
Blue Iris Recording.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are not setting it up properly...blue iris does not use masks (with latest versions) you select the area you want to record..they are called zones.

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I posted while you were replying. I do not have the mask button checked. The last shot is the only zone I have set up but I also have a hotspot across the walk and the driveway.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I posted while you were replying. I do not have the mask button checked. The last shot is the only zone I have set up but I also have a hotspot across the walk and the driveway.
there is no mask option, what are you using to mask the image.

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In the motion sensor screen there's a check box for "Black-Out Masked Areas" which I have not ticked.. I set up exactly as seen but am getting the areas outside Zone A blacked out in my recordings.

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmm.. I just checked a couple other recordings I have and it isn't masked as above???

I'm still getting a lot of false positives though. It is recording when nothing is moving inside the Zones I've set. I even tried excluding the trees that move around with the wind. I'm perplexed

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
your make time is WAY to high..set it under 1 second...I am surprised you are getting any triggers..

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is an attempt to stop there being so many triggers.. Our street is a feeder street to a few other streets, one that goes through to another neighborhood and nearby school which causes a lot of pass through traffic. I'll tone it down a bit but I did catch a cat strolling across the lawn earlier today so it is working.

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My cameras are Monoprice PID12443 (Hikvision Bullet Camera DS-2CD2620F-IS) BTW.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is an attempt to stop there being so many triggers.. Our street is a feeder street to a few other streets, one that goes through to another neighborhood and nearby school which causes a lot of pass through traffic. I'll tone it down a bit but I did catch a cat strolling across the lawn earlier today so it is working.
its impossible for it to work correctly with that setting...that object must be in the frame and moving for more than 5 seconds before it triggers..you will miss something...
Do not use hotspot, that will ignore all other settings and trigger for ANY movement...that is what is causing your false positives.

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK. I set the hotspot to a smaller area than the zone figuring I was going to catch a thief but I probably have it getting an occasional wind gust blowing branches into the hotspot. I will set the Make Time down to a minute or less and remove the hotspot and see what happens, reporting back the results either way. THANKS!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK. I set the hotspot to a smaller area than the zone figuring I was going to catch a thief but I probably have it getting an occasional wind gust blowing branches into the hotspot. I will set the Make Time down to a minute or less and remove the hotspot and see what happens, reporting back the results either way. THANKS!
Make time has to be a second or less not a minute

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's what I meant.. Sorry, still new to these systems. Thanks very much. I've made those settings and haven't had a text or email since. I'm monitoring the screen via RDP as I'm at work right now but I will see soon what happens when cars pass by and more importantly when my wife pulls in the driveway/garage. The other camera on the other side of the driveway should pick that up real quick like.

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
New issue. I haven't had any alerts all afternoon. Now that it is dark and the cameras are in night vision IR mode, they're going off from the headlights of the cars coming around the corner down the street.

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How to set the black and white mode to come on when the cameras are in IR mode and how to set up Black and White mode?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't need black and white mode...Read the help file thoroughly

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will check into that more tomorrow. Going from memory, I thought this was what I needed to do. I have read the help file but need to go through it again.

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You don't need black and white mode...Read the help file thoroughly
Black and White.JPG

So I was specifically following these instructions in the help pages. Is there something else I should do like define the street as another zone and then trigger when crossing zones? Does doing this end up precluding motion originating within a particular zone, IE: Motion originating in Zone A being inside the property that doesn't cross into or out of Zone B being the street will not trigger the motion detector?

TIA