Motion Sensor Set Up?

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Maybe it wasn't windy yesterday but I'm getting these false positives today. I think I need to bump up the pixel size for detected motion but am not sure..

TIA

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fenderman @nayr

I have read through the help pages in the Blue Iris Program but am still trying to dial these things in. I either don't get detection at all or I get a trigger every 5 minutes or so when a car drives by. I've tried making it so that the street is Zone B and the yard is Zone A and enforced crossing zones but then if I walk out the front door and don't cross zones nothing is detected. I have played with the object size and number of pixels it has to move. I have tried Black and White as indicated in the instructions. I still am getting too many false positives in order to pick up anything at all. Is this just part of being on a busyish street or am I not getting something right? Any help would be greatly appreciated from the experts around here. Thanks in Advance!!

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you get alerts when ever someone is walking by on the sidewalk? That would be annoying. My zones are away from the sidewalk and street and purely focused on my yard... Can't you review a video and test the highlight motion to see what is going on during the alert?

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The motion being picked up outside of zone A, in the street. Getting notifications for this is excessive. I'm just going to keep on tuning the sensitivity. I'm getting it a bit better but still have a way to go.

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not sure what is going on. I either don't get any notifications or I get notifications for every single thing happening in the street. Zone A is for the yard only and I removed the HotSpot zone and all other zones. I have it set to pick up motion in Zone A only but not in the street. Cars driving by are still triggering notifications pinging my phone. I will post my settings in a bit.

MEZERR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
To answer your original question about the black masked area when viewing a recording, try right clicking on the recording, and uncheck "Test run video through motion detector"

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes. I did do that. It doesn't block it out like that anymore. I have also run a few through it and I see the little red and green (sometimes not so little) on the screen where it is detecting motion. Sometimes these are outside the zone that I am focusing on (Zone A, inside the walk) yet still are triggering notifications and recordings. I'm perplexed.

MEZERR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Post screen shots of your settings again. I'm online for another 20 minutes and can try and help.

My suggestion is to removed ALL zones except zone A. Make that your front lawn, and drive way. Then, your trigger settings should look like this:

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay. I'll need to remote in on my laptop to get em. Which are most important?

TIA

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure why those loaded up so many times but the ones with less sensitivity are for at night because headlights shining across the front yard and on the bushes trigger motion when not desired and I was trying to limit that. The other thing is that I only have Zone A. I deleted Zones B and C which where split down the middle of the street.

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The hotspot zone has been removed too. I only have Zone A.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You still have the hotspot enabled...that is your problem...
Also why do you have alt/timelapse checked?

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's an old screen grab that I just reposted real quick to show Zone A. I have deleted the hotspot zone now.

As far as Alt/Timelapse goes.. IDK why it is checked. I will un-check it and report back.

MEZERR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok. Are you sure the cars shadow isn't casting anything in Zone A when it drives by? Or when it drives by does it cause leaves to start blowing or something? If you don't have a zone on the street, then it won't be included in the motion rules.

One other thing, I don't have much luck with Cancel Shadows. I find that sometimes when someone walks into the frame, it thinks it may be a shadow and doesn't alert me. I would suggest turning off that feature.

Also, you have Object Travels (pixels) to 400 in some cases. This means that the object has to travel 400 pixels before generating motion. That might be too much for your front yard. I see sometimes you have 100, and 400 on others. I'm not sure what camera is what since. Just note this setting.

The make time means there needs to be 1 second of constant movement for it to alert you. Which is why it was suggested to turn it down from 5 seconds to 1.

Why do you have Alt/timelapse Framerate checked on the Record screen? It seems that shouldn't be checked.

I would also untick Black and White.

One other thing I suggest. In order to see exactly where the motion occurs, while watching the video clip, Turn on "Test run video through motion detector". This will run the recorded clip through the motion detector, and it will highlight where it's sensing the motion. You can use this to test any setting changes to see if it still trips the motion detector.

Gotta run. Hope that was some help

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok. Are you sure the cars shadow isn't casting anything in Zone A when it drives by? Or when it drives by does it cause leaves to start blowing or something? If you don't have a zone on the street, then it won't be included in the motion rules.

One other thing, I don't have much luck with Cancel Shadows. I find that sometimes when someone walks into the frame, it thinks it may be a shadow and doesn't alert me. I would suggest turning off that feature.

Also, you have Object Travels (pixels) to 400 in some cases. This means that the object has to travel 400 pixels before generating motion. That might be too much for your front yard. I see sometimes you have 100, and 400 on others. I'm not sure what camera is what since. Just note this setting.

The make time means there needs to be 1 second of constant movement for it to alert you. Which is why it was suggested to turn it down from 5 seconds to 1.

Why do you have Alt/timelapse Framerate checked on the Record screen? It seems that shouldn't be checked.

I would also untick Black and White.

One other thing I suggest. In order to see exactly where the motion occurs, while watching the video clip, Turn on "Test run video through motion detector". This will run the recorded clip through the motion detector, and it will highlight where it's sensing the motion. You can use this to test any setting changes to see if it still trips the motion detector.

Gotta run. Hope that was some help
The 400 pixels is only at night to try to make it so car headlights, which cover a lot of the image, don't trigger motion.

Everything else I agree with but when the wind blows it is picking up the shadows of trees and triggering motion. I know this is supposed to be for shadows of objects in the scene but I'm trying to tone down my false positives so I gave it a try. I will take that out too.

Not sure about the Alt/Timelapse setting. Guess I don't need that on at all. I'm not sure why it is available but maybe for specific applications I guess.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure about the Alt/Timelapse setting. Guess I don't need that on at all. I'm not sure why it is available but maybe for specific applications I guess.
You need to read the help file. It will help you with all of this.

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You need to read the help file. It will help you with all of this.
RE-READ then RE-READ again, I suppose I'll pay more attention to that section this time. Thank you for bearing with me as I'm still getting the hang of this..

(BTW, Maybe this topic should be in the troubleshooting section of the forum?)