Motion sensor to control 24" monitor?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I currently have 24" monitor which I use to live view my cams, it draws 16 watts which isn't bad, but it still bugs me when I am away and it's on. I have it connected to a timer which turns it off at night and on at the morning, but looking to improve this with motion sensor. I found one item, but it's limited to 20 minutes, I'd like at least 30/45. Any other options? It would be nice if monitors had motion sensor builtin.

http://www.amazon.com/Westek-Indoor-Activated-Control-MLC12BC-4/dp/B0128U0GOY/ref=sr_1_91?ie=UTF8&qid=1459959764&sr=8-91&keywords=wall+motion+plug

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Nifty little device there. I actually have a monitor rigged to turn on and off, triggered by Blue Iris motion detection. It is a little app which runs a small web server and Blue Iris just has to send it a request every time the motion sensor for a particular camera is triggered, and that will wake the monitor for as long as I want, then put it back to sleep. If this is something you would find useful, I can share the app. It runs only on Windows since it uses a Windows API call to control the monitor's sleep state, but you could use it with any home automation program that can send an HTTP GET request.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I am looking for something that would keep the monitor on all the time when I am around and turn off when I am not. I'll try this sensor if I don't find anything else that could extend the timer.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Combo? Are you talking about the IFTTT recipe? or the hardware?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
hardware, there are other options besides wemo, just not sure which one works best and allows you to configure timings.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are plenty of options for hardware that can turn a device on/off, but unless you are willing to spend some money on a home automation hub or server, WeMo is the least expensive way to go that I know of. And using the IFTTT recipe, you can do all sorts of things with WeMo - https://ifttt.com/wemo_switch

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Actually looking around not find any other options that might be worthwhile.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Looked through all the options with those smart plugs and most of them are expensive and bad reviews. Another thought came through my mind, is there a way to utilize alarm output from Hikvision 2432 camera to wire to a plug, so when motion detected then turn on display?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are sorting heading towards something like @nayr is putting together with his RasPipC project for the Pi. I think he is going to implement something like that when a feed gets triggers it turns on the monitor.

Last edited by a moderator:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had good luck with these:
http://us.banggood.com/Wholesale-Warehouse-WiWo-S20-Wi-Fi-Smart-Remote-Control-Timing-Socket-USEU-Plug-wp-Usa-953743.html?currency=USD&createTmp=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_content=jason&utm_campaign=wpla-sh-us&gclid=COOzsYvl_8sCFVBhfgod100K7w
dunno if they are WeMo compatible, but i use a perl script on a raspberry pi to toggle them on/off...
https://github.com/franc-carter/bauhn-wifi
seems like some geofencing app on a smartphone could be used to control 'em pretty easily...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah I have the GPIO's on the RPI turning the monitor on/off, planing on putting a motion sensor up to it and making it use HDMI CEC to turn it on/off via power saving.. but I need to swap a new monitor out into the mudroom as the one there does not shut off when you turn off the HDMI port.

im actually using domoticz for the monitor on/off, it has a geofencing app.. this would be easy on the raspipc

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I am plan on doing similar thing but in a different way.

Right now I am ordering stuff and building up my first home automation. I am hoping to find a way to connect a motion detection with a device that can do CEC trigger. So when a motion is detected, it send a signal to a CEC supported device to wake the monitor and change the source to where the cameras is plugged into at.

I hoping to find a way if we are at home watching TV and someone trigger a motion at our door, the CEC device will trigger TV to the source where the camera is on (Our shows both live and recoreded is always on DVR so we can pause it anytime) interruping what we are watching or even turn on our TV if it off etc.

Bill

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just plugged my dahua NVR into my pioneer AVR, and we use a Nexus Player for live tv, plex, netflix.. nice thing about nexus player is it auto pauses when the input is changed.

my AVR is hooked into home automation system and it can turn tv on and change inputs/volume/etc.. a few things will change to the nvr when triggered, such as door bell ringing.. mail/parcel box opening at odd hours, and opening my bedside gunsafe.. same tasks also turn on the raspipc in the mudroom.

The next TV I get Picture in Picture is a requirement, really wish I had it right now.. id rather not even change the input, just open the PiP window via automation.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I just plugged my dahua NVR into my pioneer AVR, and we use a Nexus Player for live tv, plex, netflix.. nice thing about nexus player is it auto pauses when the input is changed.

my AVR is hooked into home automation system and it can turn tv on and change inputs/volume/etc.. a few things will change to the nvr when triggered, such as door bell ringing.. mail/parcel box opening at odd hours, and opening my bedside gunsafe.. same tasks also turn on the raspipc in the mudroom.

The next TV I get Picture in Picture is a requirement, really wish I had it right now.. id rather not even change the input, just open the PiP window via automation.

I doubt there are any Tv in market that CEC are program to only trigger picture in picture. I would check TV setting menus to make sure that such option exist before buying one

We use a Nexus player as well too and TinyCam Pro if we need to quickly bring out cameras on our screen. Best camera app I ever use.

Bill

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no I would not be using CEC to turn on PIP but the RS232 port on the back, which would also be required heh.. or at least an IP API via Ethernet.

and of course I would research it, my avr and tv took weeks of research before I got em.. Tinycam pro is too slow FPS, even on ethernet, but it is nice.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
no I would not be using CEC to turn on PIP but the RS232 port on the back, which would also be required heh.. or at least an IP API via Ethernet.

and of course I would research it, my avr and tv took weeks of research before I got em.. Tinycam pro is too slow FPS, even on ethernet, but it is nice.

RS232 is outdated, I'll be surprised if there a TV with this port today on the market unless it inside and intended for factory use to service it. However a IP API is possibility as long the TV firmware support it. That why we have DirectTV STBs, our HTPC controls it via IP Ethernet tuning into different network when it ready to record something and know what network it currently on. No need to fumble with IR STB tuning and one IR spill over to another STB IR giving us headaches etc.

TinyCam Pro is only used when our doorbell light flashes or our cats show signs of noises around outside of our house so we would quickly switch to it to see what up outside without having to leave our recliners. It not our daily monitor viewing that why I am looking forward to your RasPipC.

Bill

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nah, they are still quite widely avilable with them.. outdated not really for command and control where you want no latency.
a quick google search landed this 4k ips display with rs232: http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-65UF7700-4k-uhd-led-tv

both my current tv and nvr have serial ports, they are not that old.. They have IP Control too but when you program in a USB Turn knob to control the volume you need better latency than IP.. I tried but abandoned it back for good ole RS232.

I dont have any IR remotes anymore, just the nexus remote, an android tv app I wrote for changing inputs and my usb powermate volume knob for turning up/down volume and on/off tv.. all controlled via serial ports and works like magic.

alexvas

tinyCam Developer
Reaction score
tinyCam Monitor has low performance on x86 Android devices like Nexus Player. This is because of Android 6.0 feature/bug which does not allow running ffmpeg library (h264 decoder) on x86 devices with assembly optimization.

There is no such issue on ARM devices like NVIDIA SHIELD.