Mountin camera in soffit

Myotape22

n3wb
Reaction score
If I mount a camera directly behind a soffit light will it hurt me at night or benefit me?

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Mounting it directly behind the light isn't a good idea. Too much chance of that light blinding, even temporarily when the light is turned on. I'd go no further back than the light, keeping it on a center line of the light either to the left or right of that light.

fstfrd50

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try mounting the camera temporarily at the edge of soffit to prevent IR light reflection or adjacent to the recessed light. I get that you want to avoid perhaps fading of the dome plastic from the suns rays. This way you avoid making unnecessary holes.Adjustments.jpg

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
My preferred mounting method is to use aluminum flat stock. I cut a piece long enough to span the full width of the soffet from "wall to wall". I add a couple of ears cut to match the diameter of the camera base when added to the flat stock and use a piece of scrap aluminum to mount them to the flat stock. The flat stock gets drilled with a 1" hole in the center and drilled and tapped for mounting screws. The assembly then gets scuffed and washed with dish soap to remove the aluminum oxide, two coats of aluminum primer and two coats of semigloss to match the soffet color.

By locating the camera carefully the cable can be routed behind the flat stock and in a groove of the soffet to get into the attic, but it may be necessary to remove a piece of soffet to do this. The end result is a clean, stable, mount with no holes, at all, needed in the soffet. Removing a piece can be a bit of a PITA but the end result is worth the effort.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think that is a full time color camera. If the lens cannot even see the light or anything reflected closely off it I think you’ll be just fine. You could test with a temporary mount—eg tape the camera to a thin piece of ply that is wedged between the flashing across the soffit.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I would have suggested one of these, but if you're soffit mounting, then probably no way to mount it in the same plane as the camera.

I'm a little suprised some other members haven't used them for near floodlight wall mounting but it could be no-one was aware of them. There is a more expensive white Hikvsion branded version as well.

I'd try the camera in position, but I think a bright light shining down directly in front of it, even if it doesn't reflect directly on the lens, may cause some haze to the picture.

Last edited:

Myotape22

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll have the rest of cameras mounted by noon today. Would it cause any issues if I got nvr online before I changed all the night time settings? I'm trying to get the app on my phone asap