Mounting Bullet Cameras To Rafter/Truss Tail

Reaction score
Hello,

First off, I just want to express my appreciation for the content on this site as well as the support from all the moderators/contributers.

I'm finally planning on mounting some POE cameras next week and was originally thinking of mounting them (using 4 small screws... probably about 4mm in diameter and 1-1.5" long) to the overhanging rafters/trusses like such (sorry for the crude drawing, I took the image from a similar house that already had a camera installed to the fascia):

Sky Building Wood Material property Composite material

But after reading around I read that you should never drill/screw into a truss as it can impact structural integrity (although I would imagine this applies more to the inside of the attic than to the overhang... and probably applies to holes larger than 1/2").

Would 4 small screws like this really impact the integrity of my home or it's value? I figured when I move (which will be a long time from now) I would just unmount the cameras and fill the holes with epoxy.

Also, I was planning on either running the cables through the attic vent holes similar to the picture below (minus the conduit) or drilling a small enough hole in the same board (not sure what the board below with the attic holes is technically called) into the attic for an ethernet cable so as not to mess up the chicken wire screens in the vent holes:

Wood Shade Line Beam Material property

Worst case scenario I suppose I could just mount to the soffit or fascia but I'd prefer the cameras to be protected by the overhang and mounting to the outermost truss gets exact the angle/coverage I'm looking for.

Sorry in advance for my ignorance and/or if I'm being paranoid... but you know what they say "better safe than sorry".

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I see no issue with structural integrity. What kind (brand/model) of a camera? Is there a factory mount available for what you are intending to mount?

Read the cliff notes for installation and pay attention to water proofing.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

First off, I just want to express my appreciation for the content on this site as well as the support from all the moderators/contributers.

I'm finally planning on mounting some POE cameras next week and was originally thinking of mounting them (using 4 small screws... probably about 4mm in diameter and 1-1.5" long) to the overhanging rafters/trusses like such (sorry for the crude drawing, I took the image from a similar house that already had a camera installed to the fascia):

Sky Building Wood Material property Composite material

But after reading around I read that you should never drill/screw into a truss as it can impact structural integrity (although I would imagine this applies more to the inside of the attic than to the overhang... and probably applies to holes larger than 1/2").

Would 4 small screws like this really impact the integrity of my home or it's value? I figured when I move (which will be a long time from now) I would just unmount the cameras and fill the holes with epoxy.

Also, I was planning on either running the cables through the attic vent holes similar to the picture below (minus the conduit) or drilling a small enough hole in the same board (not sure what the board below with the attic holes is technically called) into the attic for an ethernet cable so as not to mess up the chicken wire screens in the vent holes:

Wood Shade Line Beam Material property

Worst case scenario I suppose I could just mount to the soffit or fascia but I'd prefer the cameras to be protected by the overhang and mounting to the outermost truss gets exact the angle/coverage I'm looking for.

Sorry in advance for my ignorance and/or if I'm being paranoid... but you know what they say "better safe than sorry".

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi @entropy0321

Remember to test the locations before drilling .. IR may reflect at night, so test for that.

Also remember you can even drop a section of conduit down to a junction box if you need lower placements, or perhaps a short section of 2x4 if you need to drop down a bit .. various options.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest drilling a 1/2 hole in a roof truss in it's main span (between the outer walls of the building and the top of the roof), but you will be fine doing what you are asking. First, a couple of screws is not going to affect the strength and you are not doing it in the trusses main span area, but rather just the overhang portion of the truss. That's carrying a fraction of the load that the main span is carrying.

Drilling into the blocks between the truss (ie the second picture) is fine as well. That structure is not load bearing at all. It is only there to keep the insulation in your attic, animals out of your attic, and to give an overall "cleaner" visual look. If your soffit was enclosed, those blocks between the rafters wouldn't even be there.

Last edited: