Moved from Blueiris to Scrypted NVR.

Dudleydogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I also have 16 Cameras, I would pay the $160 but missed the trial window, My current issue is i have installed Scrypted on 3 different platforms, just doing the motion detection and HomeKit compatibility. What I notice is after 2-3 days the Server running scripted starts to gag out. Memory at 80% which is fine, but the general interface seems to start to slow down. I have dedicated box running scripted now and on day 5 when I remote to that device its supper laggy. ONe of my VM's I keep jacking up the memory till I got to 12GB and refused to go more. I have a blue iris box, dedicated and willing to put scripted desktop on that box and try this out. AS much as I love blueiris its not without issues but the AI detection and the Web interface are tough to beat. Although I don't have anything to compare it too yet.
I would be a go to try scrypted for a year where I can find some more info to get the ball rolling ? My biggest complaint with Blueiris is the constant Maintenance, DB too large, maintenance not moving the files off the "NEW" disk Just relentless, with only 20 cameras.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My biggest complaint with Blueiris is the constant Maintenance, DB too large, maintenance not moving the files off the "NEW" disk Just relentless, with only 20 cameras.
You must have something configured wrong or allow auto updates to beta versions.

Most of us don't experience what you do. I have been on the same version update for almost two years and it just goes and goes with no issues.

Dudleydogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You must have something configured wrong or allow auto-updates to beta versions.

Most of us don't experience what you do. I have been on the same version update for almost two years and it just goes and goes with no issues.
Possibly I update usually a few days or so after each release. currently, my DB became corrupted, and Blue Iris was not usable, I had to pitch the entire DB and now it's working again. The AI is top-notch, I seem to burn a lot of storage and have to manage it quite a bit. Appreciate the feedback not denying it could be my doing causing my demise; I'm just trying to learn the best I can.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What most of do is when we find a version that is stable and works, we sit on it until BI adds something we want or need. So in my case Deepstsck works flawlessly so I haven't updated since the switch was made to Code Project. At some point something will be added that I want and then I will update to the latest stable release.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
CodeProject AI now supports Coral on Linux (Docker) x86 too. No need for Raspberry Pi. And you get less overhead and faster speeds than Windows and Raspberry Pi.
This is what I've been waiting for! Now I can plan my move from the Dahua NVR to a Linux box running CP and Frigate with Docker with a Coral.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Possibly I update usually a few days or so after each release. currently, my DB became corrupted, and Blue Iris was not usable, I had to pitch the entire DB and now it's working again. The AI is top-notch, I seem to burn a lot of storage and have to manage it quite a bit. Appreciate the feedback not denying it could be my doing causing my demise; I'm just trying to learn the best I can.
Big mistake....you are essentially indicating that you are having issues with a Beta release.

Ramias

n3wb
Reaction score
I've played with many over the years - BI, Hikvision NVR, Security Spy, Frigate, Scrypted. Scrypted is excellent with cross-platform support, usage of Apple Silicon for AI, and not yet mentioned here, support for Apple HomeKit Secure Video. Depends on where you fit in the larger ecosystem, but for home automation people using Apple Home as a client (for me, with Home Assistant running most of the back-end), Scrypted has the best support. The native Scrypted NVR and object detection are an additional bonus.

finktunes

n3wb
Reaction score
I also recently moved from Blue Iris to Scrypted NVR and it has been the best moved I've made in a long time. Scrypted has every feature that I need, runs on docker on Linux, and takes less than 10% of the resources that my Blue Iris setup took. The app and web UI are excellent, and cameras load instantly. Blue Iris is great, but if you can float the bill I will always recommend Scrypted from now on.

Running 9x 4k Dahua and Reolink cameras on a low power Dell Precision. I am not running Coral but have no issue with CPU, someday would love to buy a coral. My favorite feature by far is the timeline view on the NVR. I do use HomeKit and the integration with Scrypted is top notch.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I also recently moved from Blue Iris to Scrypted NVR and it has been the best moved I've made in a long time. Scrypted has every feature that I need, runs on docker on Linux, and takes less than 10% of the resources that my Blue Iris setup took. The app and web UI are excellent, and cameras load instantly. Blue Iris is great, but if you can float the bill I will always recommend Scrypted from now on.

Running 9x 4k Dahua and Reolink cameras on a low power Dell Precision. I am not running Coral but have no issue with CPU, someday would love to buy a coral. My favorite feature by far is the timeline view on the NVR. I do use HomeKit and the integration with Scrypted is top notch.
It's impossible that it's running 90% less of the CPU... The only way you could have accomplished that as if you failed to use substreams in Blue Iris which is what scrypted is using by default..

finktunes

n3wb
Reaction score
It's impossible that it's running 90% less of the CPU... The only way you could have accomplished that as if you failed to use substreams in Blue Iris which is what scrypted is using by default..
I benchmarked both systems and it's not impossible, I'm not saying that Blue Iris is a bad product or that it performs poorly. I am only pointing out my experience with the two products.

Maybe I had something configured wrong in Blue Iris, but it took me years to get Blue Iris into a smooth-ish state where the web UI and app never worked that well for me, and it took me 1 hour to set up Scrypted and it was optimized right out of the box with no fussing or looking up documentation and forums.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I benchmarked both systems and it's not impossible, I'm not saying that Blue Iris is a bad product or that it performs poorly. I am only pointing out my experience with the two products.

Maybe I had something configured wrong in Blue Iris, but it took me years to get Blue Iris into a smooth-ish state where the web UI and app never worked that well for me, and it took me 1 hour to set up Scrypted and it was optimized right out of the box with no fussing or looking up documentation and forums.
If it took you years to configure Blue Iris you definitely did something wrong if you don't understand what substreams are again you did something wrong... This is now essentially the default in Blue Iris... What version of Blue Iris were you running and what exactly did you do? But to say that scripted uses 90% let CPU is simply false. You need to compare apples to apples.

finktunes

n3wb
Reaction score
If it took you years to configure Blue Iris you definitely did something wrong if you don't understand what substreams are again you did something wrong... This is now essentially the default in Blue Iris... What version of Blue Iris were you running and what exactly did you do? But to say that scripted uses 90% let CPU is simply false. You need to compare apples to apples.
When I talk about 90% less CPU, it was when motion was detected, it spiked to 85-95% CPU on my machine while it processed it on Blue Iris. Blue Iris is also running on Windows, which is significantly heavier on resources than my minimal Linux distro. Scrypted has never gone above 10% CPU, even when multiple cameras are triggering motion. I did have sub streams set up in Blue Iris and 24 hour recording on sub stream, with high quality recording on motion. I used Deepstack instead of Codeproject AI for object detection.

I'm not trying to insult Blue Iris, I used it for years and it got the job done. Scrypted is just a better product for my use case.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When I talk about 90% less CPU, it was when motion was detected, it spiked to 85-95% CPU on my machine while it processed it on Blue Iris. Blue Iris is also running on Windows, which is significantly heavier on resources than my minimal Linux distro. Scrypted has never gone above 10% CPU, even when multiple cameras are triggering motion. I did have sub streams set up in Blue Iris and 24 hour recording on sub stream, with high quality recording on motion. I used Deepstack instead of Codeproject AI for object detection.

I'm not trying to insult Blue Iris, I used it for years and it got the job done. Scrypted is just a better product for my use case.
The notion that windows is significantly heavier on resources is silly. What percentage of CPU does windows utilize? An insignificant number. That said even if a windows system uses more power, which it does not, the additional cost of scrypted could pay for it 100 times over.
The reason scrypted is not using lots of cpu is because it is using tiny models and the substream. You can do this with BI too. You simply used deepstack on a large model vs using codeproject with a tiny model and hardware acceleration that is allowed by code project. Competition in this space is good, my point is you must compare apples to apples - scrypted is not using any less resources than a BI system setup comparably - its just that BI allows you to do more if you so choose.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The notion that windows is significantly heavier on resources is silly. What percentage of CPU does windows utilize? An insignificant number. That said even if a windows system uses more power, which it does not, the additional cost of scrypted could pay for it 100 times over.
The reason scrypted is not using lots of cpu is because it is using tiny models and the substream. You can do this with BI too. You simply used deepstack on a large model vs using codeproject with a tiny model and hardware acceleration that is allowed by code project. Competition in this space is good, my point is you must compare apples to apples - scrypted is not using any less resources than a BI system setup comparably - its just that BI allows you to do more if you so choose.
True - my computers are all sitting at 0% CPU% with nothing but Windows running.

In fact, whenever someone comes here having CPU spikes, one of the methods to troubleshoot is to disable all the cameras because even with BI running with no cameras, the CPU% should be 0 and maybe a quick blip to 1% and back to 0%, so if they are showing significant CPU usage with all cameras disabled, then they have something wrong. Provided the CPU is 0, then we tell them to enable one camera at a time until they find the problem camera.

I actually had to do that about 2 years ago on my machine - turned out one of my cameras in BI got wonky and once I deleted it and re-added, my system went back to sipping single digit CPU%.

finktunes

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm happy that you all are satisfied with your Blue Iris setups, I'm simply reporting my experiences with the two products.

To me, the extra cost of Scrypted is worth it for an improved UI, Mobile App, docker, Home Assistant and HomeKit integration alone. For everyone else, don't take my word for it. It's easy enough to spin it up in docker and see if you like it too. I personally found it exactly mets the needs I was looking for in an NVR .

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm happy that you all are satisfied with your Blue Iris setups, I'm simply reporting my experiences with the two products.

To me, the extra cost of Scrypted is worth it for an improved UI, Mobile App, docker, Home Assistant and HomeKit integration alone. For everyone else, don't take my word for it. It's easy enough to spin it up in docker and see if you like it too. I personally found it exactly mets the needs I was looking for in an NVR .
I am happy you are happy, my point is that your report is not accurate and that is what I am correcting. You cannot use heavy settings in BI when you can use light settings then claim this incredible magical drop in cpu when you go to scrypted. It is important to be honest.

bethzur

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for the summary.

I keep meaning to reevaluate BI. It has so many issues anymore, e.g. motion detection randomly stops working, push notifications randomly stop working, etc. It emails tiny, blurry images for the first but not 2-4th images. The BI iOS app is pretty bad, too. Finding anything in a recording is next to impossible since it can't scrub video.

iGagy

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for the summary.

I keep meaning to reevaluate BI. It has so many issues anymore, e.g. motion detection randomly stops working, push notifications randomly stop working, etc. It emails tiny, blurry images for the first but not 2-4th images. The BI iOS app is pretty bad, too. Finding anything in a recording is next to impossible since it can't scrub video.
Here is a few screenshot of the iOS app . You can also crest Timelapse of the timeline… UI experience is the same on Mac, windows or any webdrowserIMG_9689.png

Attachments