Multiple cameras through 1 layer 2 connection

Mike05

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 4 IP Hikvision cameras going to a POE switch then backhauled via a wireless layer 2 Point to point radio to the NVR.

At the NVR I am only getting 1 image though...what do I need to do to get the other 3 to display? If I plug in to the nvr I can do a IP scan and see thw other cameras as well as pull up the web interface.

Any idea of what I am doing wrong?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Any idea of what I am doing wrong?
wireless layer 2 Point to point radio to the NVR.
To the NVR, or to the LAN the NVR is on?
Presumably not to a PoE port of the (unspecified) NVR, as that would only allow a single camera to be configured.
f I plug in to the nvr I can do a IP scan and see thw other cameras as well as pull up the web interface.
This does suggest that you are connecting to a PoE port of the NVR.
If so - you need to connect the NVR LAN interface and the wireless link to the same LAN.

Mike05

n3wb
Reaction score
The NVR is a DS-7616NI-I2/16P. You are correct I did plug it into the POE side.

So I would need to attach the LAN port to my router and the wireless link to the router as well, correct?

Since on the LAN side now, do I need to manually add the cameras?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So I would need to attach the LAN port to my router and the wireless link to the router as well, correct?
Yes, that is correct. Assuming the router ethernet interfaces are able to handle the camera traffic OK.
Since on the LAN side now, do I need to manually add the cameras?
Yes, unless the NVR finds them and allows them to be reconfigured on to any existing channels under a LAN IP address as opposed to the PoE ports IP addresses.
I'm not sure if your NVR does that - if not - suggestion:
If the NVR managed to configure the network settings any of the cameras while the link was on the PoE ports, you will need to reconfigure them.
Easy enough with SADP - it will find the cameras without requiring that you change the PC IP address to match. Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.
Use SADP to assign the cameras fixed IP addresses valid for the LAN.
With a 16 channel NVR with 16 PoE ports, you'll find that for adding LAN-connected cameras you can't add or delete the pre-defined PoE channels.
But if in the web GUI you select a channel that you want a LAN-connected camera to appear on, change the mode to 'Manual' instead of Plug&Play and set the IP address to match what you set the camera to.

And an off-the-wall question - did you just buy the NVR off eBay?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
No, it's a good model, fast and effective.
I bid for a 'used, other' one the same model on eBay last week that was looking like a real bargain, but was out bid.
Still looking ...

Mike05

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Before I go back to the location does the layer 2 RF bridge need any specific multicast addressing or configuration to backhaul multiple live feeds?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
does the layer 2 RF bridge need any specific multicast addressing or configuration to backhaul multiple live feeds?
To be honest, I don't really know.
What I do know is that the RTSP traffic, and the Hikvision port 8000 Command&Control traffic don't need multicast, but it may be that SADP has some reliance on it.

Mike05

n3wb
Reaction score
Good news, all is working but now I have a new question hopefully you can help answer.

With IVMS4500 for mobile phone can you create multiple user accounts for viewing? I tried to add to a 2nd phone but it says it belongs to another user (my other phone).

Does the swcondary user just use my iser/password to view on ivms?