My experience after 4 years with Blue Iris. Don't be like me. You will be much happier.

Dauv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am running 8 cameras 2 of which are 1080, 4 are 720 and the other 2 are 640x480. ALL of them are wireless IP.
I am running Blue Iris on an 8+ year old Intel DX58SO motherboard with an Intel i7 Extreme 965, 8 core processor, with 16gb memory (now) and an old old ATI Radeon HD3800 video card.

For the last 4 years at least, I was running this exact system on 3gb total system memory and I just recently upgraded to 16gb RAM. I will probably send 8GB of it back because it simply is not needed. For the ENTIRE time I have owned and been running Blue Iris, the machine it lives on, is also a machine that I conduct daily business on several times a day. It is not, nor has it EVER been a dedicated Blue Iris machine....

The following will describe the nothing short of miraculous increase in performance I obtained by simply optimizing some things with both the cameras and BI.

Prior to upgrading the memory, I had all of the cameras set to stream their max frame rates within the camera UI. So for the 1080 and 720 cameras, that was 30 FPS, and for the 640x480 cams, I also forced them to 30 fps because I just didn't know any better. In BI I also had each camera profile set to 30 FPS, and was completely unaware of why BI would change those settings on it's own to some obscure setting like 31fps or something like that. I should also note, that NONE of teh cameras were set to "direct to disk recording". The system rarely lets me down, and has experienced nearly 95% up time, with very few incidents that required intervention. Pretty amazing really, now that I know what I know.

After deciding to do some reading here on this forum, I discovered that having the cameras and BI set to anything more than 15 FPS was fruitless and resulted in extremely high resources use, so I went through every camera and set the frame rate on the 1080 and 720 cams to 15 FPS, and the 640 cams to 10 FPS. I then matched those settings in the BI cam profiles. I also switched all of the cameras that do H264 to direct to disk recording. The 640 cams do not do H264, so they are the only ones that are decoding on the fly.

Now for the miraculous part...... Prior to optimizing the cameras and BI, my CPU usage was at a minimum 76% and spiked to 97% if I did ANYTHING else on that computer, like open a web browser, or if I had the BI web app open on another machine while ALSO having the BI user interface open on the server machine. The results were that when I launched the BI android app, I would see about 1 frame every 10 seconds for some cams and other cams were just frozen on whatever image they grabbed when I launched the app.

AFTER the optimization, I can have all of the above listed circumstances in play, and my CPU utilization has yet to exceed 70%. If it does, it only does it briefly, and then drops down into the 62-65% range. If I close the web app on another machine, the CPU use drops to 45-55%. If I have BI closed on the server (It runs as a service), and I have the web UI open on another machine, the CPU use hovers around 28-33%.

None of my cams are set to full time record. They are all combinations of zone crossing, or trigger recording, and 2 of the cams are cloned, so that they each record any movement, and both send alerts when triggered.

Prior to optimization, I had to disable 3 or 4 cameras to be able to make changes or adjustments in Blue Iris, remotely via team viewer, otherwise, while in team viewer with BI open, 3 or 4 cameras would simply show no signal in the UI, the UI or team viewer would become clunky and unresponsive, and I would barely make it out alive without having to force a restart.

Moral of the story, optimizing the cameras to take advantage of the available resources on YOUR system, is the single most important task a user of BI has in my opinion. My biggest regret, is that I did not take the time to learn this stuff 4 years ago when I bought BI in the first place. I was just so stoked to have it up and running, knowing that I could remotely view my cameras from anywhere, that I just gave up and assumed that was as good as it was going to get. Big BIG mistake.

Having now spent the better part of 4 days, non stop, testing and retesting different settings, zones, alerts and frame rates, I can EASILY say that this is the most amazing piece of sub $100.00 software I have EVER purchased, but like any software, there are limitations and necessities. In this case, proper set up for YOUR system is the single most important necessity.

Now that I know what I know, I am exploring the option to buy a dedicated HP EliteDesk or Dell Optiplex for Blue Iris. I have read the wiki at least twice. There seems to be some confusion with regards to using onboard Intel graphics now. I would REALLY like to buy a computer ASAP and get it up and running while all of this is fresh in my head, so that the transition will be a relatively easy one.

Can someone please help me decide which (exact) used/refurb computer up to $400.00 (before WD purple) would be the best choice for me? I would like the buy the PC NOW....My ultimate goal is to phase out the wifi cameras, and go exclusively to PoE cams. I plan on doing that over the next couple of months.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope someone gets something out of my post and my personal experience.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice post, glad you were able to read up on everything and determine the best route. I'm pretty surprised your computer is still going, that's great, but it's definitely time for a dedicated PC.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Having now spent the better part of 4 days, non stop, testing and retesting different settings, zones, alerts and frame rates, I can EASILY say that this is the most amazing piece of sub $100.00 software I have EVER purchased, but like any software, there are limitations and necessities.
Ain't that the truth Thumbsmiley20.gif

Dauv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Mike.... Yeah, the current PC has required one PSU in the last 4 years. THat was an easy remedy, as I had a spare in hand, so it went down at like 4PM and was back up before 5PM the same day.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you intend to keep your current cameras you dont need a 400 dollar pc, in fact a 100 dollar i5-3470 hp 8300 will be significantly more powerful than your current setup and will be much more efficient paying for itself in no time.
If you want something newer an i5-6500 hp elitedesk or prodesk can be had for under 200. If you want to go the i7 route an i7-6700 elitedesk/prodesk can be had for 350-400.

Dauv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you intend to keep your current cameras you dont need a 400 dollar pc,
Thanks Fenderman... As I mentioned, my plan is to go to PoE cams, all of them at 1080P. I currently have 8 cameras, and might add 2 more, for a total of 10 (2MP) cams. I do not see the need to go to 4MP cams based on the maximum distance of monitored space. Everything I watch, is pretty close, so the 2MP cams I have right now, resolve everything I need to see. I would much rather have more cams to cover different angles, than fewer, higher res cams. Based on current need, I do not see me going beyond 10 cameras.

I am not sure that I would embrace H265 right off the bat. I think that based on what I have learned over the last few days, that my old system is actually capable of doing what I need it to do right now, but it is at the very limit of it's capabilities, so my question is, should I still look for an i7-6700 based system if my target is 20MP total (H264) load?

Lastly, I am still a bit confused on whether or not 30 fps is just bad and unnecessary, or is running cameras at 15 fps really just a bandaid for low performance systems? My brain is telling me that a camera grabbing 30 images a second is much more likely to capture the incriminating (clear) image, than a cam only grabbing 15 images a second would be, but THAT may just be a gap in my understanding of how these systems work.

Your advice is genuinely appreciated sir.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman... As I mentioned, my plan is to go to PoE cams, all of them at 1080P. I currently have 8 cameras, and might add 2 more, for a total of 10 (2MP) cams. I do not see the need to go to 4MP cams based on the maximum distance of monitored space. Everything I watch, is pretty close, so the 2MP cams I have right now, resolve everything I need to see. I would much rather have more cams to cover different angles, than fewer, higher res cams. Based on current need, I do not see me going beyond 10 cameras.

I am not sure that I would embrace H265 right off the bat. I think that based on what I have learned over the last few days, that my old system is actually capable of doing what I need it to do right now, but it is at the very limit of it's capabilities, so my question is, should I still look for an i7-6700 based system if my target is 20MP total (H264) load?

Lastly, I am still a bit confused on whether or not 30 fps is just bad and unnecessary, or is running cameras at 15 fps really just a bandaid for low performance systems? My brain is telling me that a camera grabbing 30 images a second is much more likely to capture the incriminating (clear) image, than a cam only grabbing 15 images a second would be, but THAT may just be a gap in my understanding of how these systems work.

Your advice is genuinely appreciated sir.
You don't need 30 frames per second... The image won't be any clearer...
The system recommendations would still apply for 10 2 megapixel cameras

Dauv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies man.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Lenovo ThinkStation P310 i7-6700, with 8gb and a 1TB hdd for $262.00 on ebay. I just bought a 240gb SDD (Kingston-$30.00) for it and will add a 2TB Purple once I get it up and running on the new SDD and successfully migrate my BI over to it. Hopefully it will ship this week, and since it originates in the same state I live, it may even get here this week which would be nice.

All of the Dells and HP's I looked at with i7-6700's were $100.00 more, so the Lenovo looked like a good enough deal to grab. It was the last one, so I got antsy and went for it. At least it's a 6th gen so when H265 does roll around, I can at least play with it and not be bummed that I skimped and went with a gen 4 or 3 and locked myself out...

Thanks again for the input.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great initial post, thanks for sharing....could save some other newbs from some needless heartburn.

BTW, when you set up the new PC, be sure to have only your O/S, BI and BI's "db" folder on the SSD, put all video clips ("New" and "Storage" folders) on the hard drive / WD Purple.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The most important performance settings that I have stumbled across as a newbie are these...
For each camera set Camera Properties...
Video>Hardware accelerated decode: Intel
Record>Video file format and compression... Video compression: Direct-to-disc

Dauv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great initial post, thanks for sharing....could save some other newbs from some needless heartburn.

BTW, when you set up the new PC, be sure to have only your O/S, BI and BI's "db" folder on the SSD, put all video clips ("New" and "Storage" folders) on the hard drive / WD Purple.
That was my intention Dave. Thank you sir.

My only hesitation is the angst of not knowing whether or not my exported .reg files will take or will I be doomed to setting everything back up from scratch. I have seen others post that they were only able to get one cam back up and running after doing a PC migration, and were required to set the other cams up one by one....
That is a lot of work, but I am now taking the time to do individual screen shots of each cam's property page(s) so that i have a visual reference of what each of them need to function the way I have it/them set up now.

Beyond that, I am pretty excited to get it all set up. I don't really anticipate the panacea, but it will be nice knowing that the system is on it's own dedicated PC...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That was my intention Dave. Thank you sir.

My only hesitation is the angst of not knowing whether or not my exported .reg files will take or will I be doomed to setting everything back up from scratch. I have seen others post that they were only able to get one cam back up and running after doing a PC migration, and were required to set the other cams up one by one....
That is a lot of work, but I am now taking the time to do individual screen shots of each cam's property page(s) so that i have a visual reference of what each of them need to function the way I have it/them set up now.

Beyond that, I am pretty excited to get it all set up. I don't really anticipate the panacea, but it will be nice knowing that the system is on it's own dedicated PC...
I just transitioned PCs, and the Reg File from the old machine loaded up just fine and all was golden.
You can also save individual cams reg files.
I highly recommend this: Blue Iris Update Helper (BiUpdateHelper)

Dauv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have your BiUpdateHelper installed brother. It is a thing of beauty.. I uploaded my config yesterday, so you can see what the stats are from that system. It is the one near the top with no CPU identifier.... Not sure why the identifier is not there, but it is indeed an i7-965 Extreme.

Anyway, I received the new computer today. The new drive is in and WIn10 Pro is installed and updated. I am ready to take the plunge, but a little apprehensive about doing it tonight before bed time UNLESS I can easily just reinstall the activation code back into the old box and be back up and running by simply doing that?

In other words, if I de-register the current machine, apply that registration to the new machine, and end up bass ackwards, can I simply de-register the new system and apply the reg code back to the old system and be squared away?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

farnk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am running 8 cameras 2 of which are 1080, 4 are 720 and the other 2 are 640x480. ALL of them are wireless IP.
I am running Blue Iris on an 8+ year old Intel DX58SO motherboard with an Intel i7 Extreme 965, 8 core processor, with 16gb memory (now) and an old old ATI Radeon HD3800 video card.

AFTER the optimization, I can have all of the above listed circumstances in play, and my CPU utilization has yet to exceed 70%. If it does, it only does it briefly, and then drops down into the 62-65% range. If I close the web app on another machine, the CPU use drops to 45-55%. If I have BI closed on the server (It runs as a service), and I have the web UI open on another machine, the CPU use hovers around 28-33%.

Prior to optimization, I had to disable 3 or 4 cameras to be able to make changes or adjustments in Blue Iris, remotely via team viewer, otherwise, while in team viewer with BI open, 3 or 4 cameras would simply show no signal in the UI, the UI or team viewer would become clunky and unresponsive, and I would barely make it out alive without having to force a restart.

Moral of the story, optimizing the cameras to take advantage of the available resources on YOUR system, is the single most important task a user of BI has in my opinion. My biggest regret, is that I did not take the time to learn this stuff 4 years ago when I bought BI in the first place. I was just so stoked to have it up and running, knowing that I could remotely view my cameras from anywhere, that I just gave up and assumed that was as good as it was going to get. Big BIG mistake.
Hi,
What did you do to optimize?
Frank

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Prior to upgrading the memory, I had all of the cameras set to stream their max frame rates within the camera UI. So for the 1080 and 720 cameras, that was 30 FPS, and for the 640x480 cams, I also forced them to 30 fps because I just didn't know any better. In BI I also had each camera profile set to 30 FPS, and was completely unaware of why BI would change those settings on it's own to some obscure setting like 31fps or something like that. I should also note, that NONE of teh cameras were set to "direct to disk recording". The system rarely lets me down, and has experienced nearly 95% up time, with very few incidents that required intervention. Pretty amazing really, now that I know what I know.

After deciding to do some reading here on this forum, I discovered that having the cameras and BI set to anything more than 15 FPS was fruitless and resulted in extremely high resources use, so I went through every camera and set the frame rate on the 1080 and 720 cams to 15 FPS, and the 640 cams to 10 FPS. I then matched those settings in the BI cam profiles. I also switched all of the cameras that do H264 to direct to disk recording. The 640 cams do not do H264, so they are the only ones that are decoding on the fly.
There is no FPS setting in BI...at least not anymore...