My experience with a "vipcam" A192V2N01

Jorabi

n3wb
Reaction score
I would rather not use a PC client to update the ddns. I prefer a network appliance like a camera or router to take care of it. But I have the same issue with all of them - wanting a free one without needing monthly human updates, and having that one available in the device's firmware. I am gonna dump the camera firmware into a hex editor to see if I can change the available ddns's (making sure the update protocol is the same).

Yes, I did update the firmware. I am at V9.1.6.1.23-20170722. The motion detection is working. The timezone setting sticks. The email sending does not work no matter what I try (this was the reason I checked for updates in the first place). RTSP works on some apps like VLC (does not work on ContaCam or Synology Surveillance, but those are app problems). You still cannot extract the current firmware from the cam, cannot find an older version online (that I know of), or save the firmware on your computer first. I did not try FTP. What else did you have problems with?

bedouin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have e-mail working with GMail, so maybe you just need to tweak the settings depending on your provider.

Does the new firmware send/record successive shots when motion is detected or only one? Did you notice any improvements in terms of its motion sensing, or basically the same as before? Can motion detection be enabled and disabled through the web interface now and not just the phone app?

Can you actually login to the camera through the phone app as a non-admin user, or is that still broken?

Jorabi

n3wb
Reaction score
I am using smtp.gmail.com with the same settings as my pc email client which works fine, from the same location as the cam.

The web interface doesn't even have motion detection settings. All it has is the SD and FTP autosnap interval. The Android app (CamHi) has motion detection on/off and where to send pictures, but no detection region settings. In order to record I have an offsite PC set up with ContaCam which has its own motion detection and action settings.

The Android app only allows admin login still. Don't know about iOS.

Last edited:

bedouin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here's the settings I'm using for GMail:

SMTP server name: smtp.gmail.com
Server port: 465
Safe link: SSL
Authentication: On
Username should include @gmail.com at the end.

I might do the update, but something about me is still hesitant :lol: Not having successive shots is so incredibly brain dead.

Let me know if the e-mail settings work out for you.

bedouin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
One thing I forgot to mention, you might need to disable Google's blocking of "less secure apps."

Jorabi

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, those are all things I have tried. I already had the "less secure' opened up so I could use Outlook with gmail. I am not going to sweat it. I can have cam software set up remotely to do all this stuff.

These cams are only $33 on Amazon so I bought 3 more for my BIL. They are definitely for tinkerers, though. He knows very little about tech and was going to go for Ring or Nest, but they cost a fortune. I told him I could set him up for under $100 and he loved it. That's the reason for my renewed interest. Of course, my time is the trade-off for the dirt cheap cost but I don't mind.

I found that my routers support changeip.com for ddns, so I set that up. Free and no human update needed, as long as the router sends an update as least every 6 months. That's a setting that's very hard to find out. I am hoping it sends a refresh at some interval even when the ip has not changed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't stress enough that these cameras are complete garbage and should never be used.... Furthermore port forwarding this camera is a huge security risk and should never be done you exposing both the camera feed and any device on the same network to hackers...

Jorabi

n3wb
Reaction score
From portforward.com:
====================
Is it Safe to Port Forward to a DVR or Security Camera?
You should not be worried about forwarding a port to a security camera, DVR, or other consumer device. Like gaming consoles these devices are designed to be connected directly to the Internet. It is not possible to use a DVR or security camera to access your home network. When you connect your DVR or security camera to the Internet through a port forward the only thing that you are putting at risk is the stuff provided by that device. Worst case scenario is that people will be able to see your video feed. As long as you setup a password in the device then you are secure even with a port forward.

Answer:
YES! It's totally safe to forward a port to a DVR or security camera.

Is Portforward.com Legit?

Yes, we're in this business for the long run. If you have any doubt just look around the various forums out there that reference us. We have litteraly 1,000's of great link-ins. You don't get 1,000's of great links without having a good business ethic.

Answer:
YES! We are in this business for the long run.
===================

So they think it is safe by design. But if you are speaking of gaping holes in the firmware, that's a different story. Can you point me to any docs that cover that aspect of this family of cams?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
From portforward.com:
====================
You should not be worried about forwarding a port to a security camera, DVR, or other consumer device. Like gaming consoles these devices are designed to be connected directly to the Internet. It is not possible to use a DVR or security camera to access your home network. When you connect your DVR or security camera to the Internet through a port forward the only thing that you are putting at risk is the stuff provided by that device. Worst case scenario is that people will be able to see your video feed. As long as you setup a password in the device then you are secure even with a port forward.

Answer:

Yes, we're in this business for the long run. If you have any doubt just look around the various forums out there that reference us. We have litteraly 1,000's of great link-ins. You don't get 1,000's of great links without having a good business ethic.

Answer:
===================

So they think it is safe by design. But if you are speaking of gaping holes in the firmware, that's a different story. Can you point me to any docs that cover that aspect of this family of cams?
OH god...you are taking advice from a website that makes its money off of port forwarding? It is not safe by design because it relies on secure firmware which NEVER happens. These are clones used by wanscam and others and have been around for years...full of security holes....do not port forward any camera or dvr/nvr.
You have been a member here for almost a year, have you NOT seen the posts of cameras and NVR's being hacked? Hikvision, dahua and many others...port forwarding is not secure. Portforward.com is LYING to you. They are scammers. Please forward this post to those frauds.

Jorabi

n3wb
Reaction score
OK thanks, I will be more aware going forward. I have been a member but I tend to only peek in when I need something (no offense ;)).

You have given me the idea that I could use a VPN to secure the access to the cameras. I have been planning a whole-house vpn for my own home by installing DD-WRT on my router and using the lifetime subscription to a paid vpn that I bought and haven't used yet. Doing it at the router avoids the need for vpn clients on every device. The few remote camera monitoring devices can use VPN clients to access it from the outside. Thoughts?

Jorabi

n3wb
Reaction score
I should clarify, the vpn client in DD-WRT will use the vpn subscription for all of my outgoing connections. The remote camera monitoring devices would be using a vpn client to connect to the vpn server in DD-WRT. DD-WRT can do both.

bedouin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I decided to the take the plunge and update the firmware. I've had nerve-racking experiences installing unofficial firmware on devices before, but this was the first time I had a similar feeling with "official" firmware.

The good news is that the camera still works and most of my settings were retained. However, I noticed that the following settings were modified after the update.
  1. Video bitrate was increased to 1536 for the first stream.
  2. Keyframe interval was increased to 50 for both streams.
  3. Camera name was changed back to the default (i.e., “IP Camera").
  4. Audio input and output volumes were decreased.
  5. IP settings were changed from static to DHCP.
  6. RTSP permission check was removed.
  7. Name of the camera is now at bottom left of the screen, not the top left.
Strangely, you were able to obtain a newer firmware version than me. I'm currently on V9.1.4.1.25-20170706. I performed the update through the vipcam app. The time zone settings are finally sticking, which means I can locate older footage more easily in the vipcam app.

An update was released for the iOS vipcam app yesterday. Do NOT install it! Audio works but no video is displayed (only a white screen), regardless of whether you are using the live view of going over older footage. Luckily, I was able to revert to the previous version.

E-mail is still working for me. One thing I noticed while checking whether any settings were modified is that there are two locations in the web interface where e-mail can be configured (i.e., under "Alarm > Alarm" and under "Advanced > Email settings"). E-mail can also be configured through the app. In my case, went to "Advanced > Email settings." Perhaps you could experiment with entering the info using different locations/methods. You might also check the system log to see if any useful errors are provided. I think the e-mail settings under "Alarm" and "Advanced" are connected anyway, so this info is probably of limited use to you.

As for port forwarding, I only advise forwarding ports to machines/services where patches can be obtained soon after exploits are discovered. For example, if there's a major exploit found in OpenSSH, it's pretty easy for me update it to a newer version or, if need be, compile a new version from source. That's not a luxury you have with IP cams.

As for the VPN, I think you might have the notion of running a VPN server on your router confused with connecting your router to a commercial VPN as a client. In the first scenario, you could access your network remotely (say from a phone) and then have access to all resources inside it (e.g., file shares, VNC servers). The benefit here is that no ports need to be publicly accessible other than OpenVPN — which is pretty secure. No machines connected to your network would need a VPN client, because they are already within the network. No third party would need to be involved, and thus no need for a "subscription."

In the second scenario, your router is connecting to a remote VPN server and routing all Internet traffic through that location. A commercial VPN provider is probably NOT going to let you communicate with other clients connected to their servers, even if they are your own. So, if you are not connected to your network and want to access the camera from your phone, the only way to achieve this is through port forwarding on the provider's VPN server. That just brings you back to the same problem as before, and is pointless.

If you're looking into VPNs for the anonymization they provide, and if you want to be able to access other clients connected to the VPN, the best bet is to get a dedicated server or VPS in a privacy-friendly country and setup OpenVPN on it. An OpenVPN server can be configured so that traffic can be passed between connected clients, which is something commercial providers should disable for obvious reasons.

Anyway, VPN configuration is probably beyond the scope of this discussion.

EDIT: I just saw your most recent post. I didn't realize you were looking to run both a VPN server and client on the router.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK thanks, I will be more aware going forward. I have been a member but I tend to only peek in when I need something (no offense ;)).

You have given me the idea that I could use a VPN to secure the access to the cameras. I have been planning a whole-house vpn for my own home by installing DD-WRT on my router and using the lifetime subscription to a paid vpn that I bought and haven't used yet. Doing it at the router avoids the need for vpn clients on every device. The few remote camera monitoring devices can use VPN clients to access it from the outside. Thoughts?
you are conflating two different types of vpn...your paid vpn service wont help you....see the vpn for noobies thread....it explains it all

Jorabi

n3wb
Reaction score
fenderman, yes, I was conflating a vpn client and server. I posted a clarification earlier today. Basically want to run a vpn server on the router and having remote clients come in. To the camera they would then appear to be on the same LAN and would not need any ports forwarded.

Jorabi

n3wb
Reaction score
I decided to the take the plunge and update the firmware. I've had nerve-racking experiences installing unofficial firmware on devices before, but this was the first time I had a similar feeling with "official" firmware.

The good news is that the camera still works and most of my settings were retained. However, I noticed that the following settings were modified after the update.
  1. Video bitrate was increased to 1536 for the first stream.
  2. Keyframe interval was increased to 50 for both streams.
  3. Camera name was changed back to the default (i.e., “IP Camera").
  4. Audio input and output volumes were decreased.
  5. IP settings were changed from static to DHCP.
  6. RTSP permission check was removed.
  7. Name of the camera is now at bottom left of the screen, not the top left.
Strangely, you were able to obtain a newer firmware version than me. I'm currently on V9.1.4.1.25-20170706. I performed the update through the vipcam app. The time zone settings are finally sticking, which means I can locate older footage more easily in the vipcam app.
NONE of these things happened to me! But I was on a newer version than you before the upgrade and am still on a newer version after the upgrade. I just hit the upgrade check button in the Android app and it did it. Maybe our hardware is not exactly the same if the check produced different downloads.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Fenderman is correct, the advice given by Portforward.com is 100% dangerous.
Do not follow their advice.

From portforward.com:
====================

Answer:

Answer:
===================

bedouin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Maybe our hardware is not exactly the same if the check produced different downloads.
Or maybe your version of the firmware was pulled. Hard to say since there’s no way to contact anyone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bedouin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
An update to the iOS app was released last night that fixes the white screen issue.

I also just noticed today that the firmware update toggled on nonstop recording, so that's something people should look out for.

Jorabi, do you know what happens when the SD card is filled up? Is it smart enough to delete older data or does it just stop writing to the card?

Jorabi

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually bedouin, I have never tried the sd card option. I thought it used fifo though, deleting the oldest when full. I use offsite recording software to catch the video in case they destroy the cameras (assuming they don't cut the power first).

bedouin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I bought the SD card when I found out the camera wouldn't upload to an FTP server without one. The camera sends an email to me and saves videos/pictures to a local FTP server, as well as the SD card. I can then login to that server via sftp anywhere I'm at to see what's going on without using the vipcam app. I also can easily view the photos while on my local network through a Samba share. If you have an SD card inserted you can view past videos through the vipcam app too, which is kind of useful.

My phone battery is at 1%. Time to hit send :)