My first attempts have failed..

kccustom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I recently purchased 2 DS-2CD2332-1 cameras and a DS-7608NI-E2/8P.

I've been trying to get a few things working...

1. Access the camera from my iPhone while away from my home, not connected to my local network.
  2. Send myself an email when motion is detected within the area I defined, with a copy of the image attached
  3. Send myself an email based on line crossing/intrusion detection I defined, with a copy of the image attached
  4. Send emails from the camera. Sending from the NVR works.

My NVR is setup on my local network, 192.168.1.13 and my camera are on .254

If anyone can offer instructions or a post to follow that would be great.

ok, they're not really my first attempts :)
What exactly are you wanting from the camera that you are not getting from the nvr?

The way I have mine set up is have the events from the camera sent to the nvr i.e. line crossing then the nvr sends the email. I can access all of my cameras with the virtual host setting enabled.

on the nvr I have it like this; (the trigger I use because it is hooked up to my alarm system, you wont need that)

The only problem I have is the nvr sends a pretty low res pic but it works to let me know there is an event and I can always replay from the nvr is it is important.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
All pings are successful. The trace looks good.
That is all good. Your network configuration is set correctly and is working OK, except that we have not yet proved that name resolution works yet.
You should now be able to use a telnet or SSH connection to the camera's 192.168.254.x IP address, if your camera firmware still allows that.
If so - you can try the ping command at the camera command prompt, for example:
login as: root
root@192.168.254.12's password:

BusyBox v1.19.3 (2014-07-11 11:25:54 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
# ping google.com
PING google.com (216.58.208.46): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 216.58.208.46: seq=0 ttl=55 time=23.614 ms
64 bytes from 216.58.208.46: seq=1 ttl=55 time=26.988 ms
64 bytes from 216.58.208.46: seq=2 ttl=55 time=22.158 ms
64 bytes from 216.58.208.46: seq=3 ttl=55 time=23.818 ms
^C
--- google.com ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 22.158/24.144/26.988 ms
#
in which case your email configuration should work, provided you have the correct settings.

jerome8283

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not familar with Telnet. I'm on a Mac and launch Terminal.

JEC206005349ML:~ PC1$ telnet 192.168.254.x
Trying 192.168.254.x...
Connected to 192.168.254.x.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
JEC206005349ML:~ PC1$

I intentionally removed the actual IP. What is the actual command line to enter root and password?

jerome8283

n3wb
Reaction score
What exactly are you wanting from the camera that you are not getting from the nvr?

The way I have mine set up is have the events from the camera sent to the nvr i.e. line crossing then the nvr sends the email. I can access all of my cameras with the virtual host setting enabled.
Sounds like your network configuration may be all local and your cameras are not on the .254 network?

kccustom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like your network configuration may be all local and your cameras are not on the .254 network?
All of my cameras go through the nvr and are on the .254 network, virtual host routs them to the address of the nvr and just gives each one a different port number.

The nvr starts the virtual host ports at 65001 so all I have to do to access my cameras remotely is open that port range on my router.

I can access everything with the same ip all I have to do is change the port number to access a specific camera, which I hardly ever do now that I have everthing set up the way I want.

Last edited by a moderator:

jerome8283

n3wb
Reaction score
All of my cameras go through the nvr and are on the .254 network, virtual host routs them to the address of the nvr and just gives each one a different port number.
Oh right you did mention virtual host in your initial post, sorry. Virtual host works for me as well. I can only receive emails from motion detection configured via the NVR and thought I needed to configure email directly via the camera interface to get Line Cross and Intrusion detection to work. Do you have email configured at all via the camera interface?

kccustom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh right you did mention virtual host in your initial post, sorry. Virtual host works for me as well. I can only receive emails from motion detection configured via the NVR and thought I needed to configure email directly via the camera interface to get Line Cross and Intrusion detection to work. Do you have email configured at all via the camera interface?
No, I set up line crossing on the camera and it sends the event to the nvr, the nvr sends the email.

jerome8283

n3wb
Reaction score
I got crossing/intrusion detection to work with emails (somewhat). I'm still playing with the sensitivity controls though. My wife just left the house and walked within the defined areas and nothing was recorded. I configured crossing/intrusion detection via the NVR under EVENTS/SMART EVENT. I didn't know I had this option because each time I entered this area I got a message stating 'the camera does not support the function'. I assumed anything in the smart event menu was off limits. This should be fixed in my opinion. If there are functions not supported by my camera, they should not be viewable/accessible, also supported functions should exist within a supported menu area. Anyway, its free software so I can't complain.

I'm still trying to get the two items below working...

Access the camera from my iPhone while away from my home, not connected to my local network.
Attach images via email

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
My wife just left the house and walked within the defined areas and nothing was recorded
If you enable 'Rules' in local configuration, you can see in Live View how the camera smart events are operating, it's more immediate feedback when you are tuning the settings for what you want.
And it also works post-event on playback too.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you enable 'Rules' in local configuration, you can see in Live View how the camera smart events are operating, it's more immediate feedback when you are tuning the settings for what you want.
Learn something everyday.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, I figured I would DIY and have this same router and some 4mp Hiks coming in a couple weeks and this thread makes me very nervous in terms of hooking it all up and being able to access the video from an app on my phone when away. Is there a thread somewhere helping to explain settings etc for an initial install?

jerome8283

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. While playing around yesterday I believe I did this but did not realize until you pointed it out. :)

What does the email received with 'EVENT TYPE:traverse plane'? Is this the email from crossing detection?

okosub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No, I set up line crossing on the camera and it sends the event to the nvr, the nvr sends the email.
@kccustom is it possible to do the same set motion on camera and have it send event to nvr and nvr send email? i currently have the nvr sending the emails on its own but may be interested in doing more granular expert motion config for day/night and given the issues with the networking whether by design or bugs i cant out of the box have cameras send message.

separately can someone explain the use case for line crossing vs intrusion detection? seems like one is a more advanced version of the other?

kccustom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@kccustom is it possible to do the same set motion on camera and have it send event to nvr and nvr send email? i currently have the nvr sending the emails on its own but may be interested in doing more granular expert motion config for day/night and given the issues with the networking whether by design or bugs i cant out of the box have cameras send message.

separately can someone explain the use case for line crossing vs intrusion detection? seems like one is a more advanced version of the other?
I only use line crossing for my driveway at low sensitivity due to the absurd amount of false alarms I was getting due to tree shadows, as for the cameras sending to the nvr and the nvr sending the email that is exactly how I do it. Just set up what ever motion detection scheme you want to use on your camera and set it up like the pics I posted.

okosub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I only use line crossing for my driveway at low sensitivity due to the absurd amount of false alarms I was getting due to tree shadows, as for the cameras sending to the nvr and the nvr sending the email that is exactly how I do it. Just set up what ever motion detection scheme you want to use on your camera and set it up like the pics I posted.
Thanks @kccustom, so I guess the question is what is the actual trigger to tell the camera to send to the nvr? Is it simply turning the feature on on the camera and if that's the case isn't it enough to turn on the feature via the nvr since it then turns on the camera setting anyway?

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The features that appear in both the camera and the NVR interfaces, are affected by the last interface that changes them. Therefore it does not matter where you change the feature (NVR or camera). However it would be good practice to define the majority of the settings in the camera first (as it has a superset of the features compared with the NVR) and then verify them in the NVR as the last place and leave them.

okosub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The features that appear in both the camera and the NVR interfaces, are affected by the last interface that changes them. Therefore it does not matter where you change the feature (NVR or camera). However it would be good practice to define the majority of the settings in the camera first (as it has a superset of the features compared with the NVR) and then verify them in the NVR as the last place and leave them.

kind of what i figured thanks

asujithdr

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi I am a newbie here. I have Hik 7608 with Hik IP cams. Got line cross and intrusion set up. Email notifications work well, but no images attached. Still getting pics from motion detection (which I have now set not to send email due too many false alarms). Is there a way I can get pics from line cross and intrusions? Thanks.

asujithdr

n3wb
Reaction score
After fiddling with the settings for a few hours I managed to log in to each camera attached to NVR directly. Set up cameras to send me email on line cross and intrusions. Works well, getting pictures. :)

jerome8283

n3wb
Reaction score
After fiddling with the settings for a few hours I managed to log in to each camera attached to NVR directly. Set up cameras to send me email on line cross and intrusions. Works well, getting pictures. :)
How did you set it up? I tried this with no luck.