My First Order--Better than the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE?

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm ready to order a couple of varifocal cams to get started.... Last August the most attractive thing to me was the new 5231 (IPC-HDW5231R-ZE). I like the new look better than the three-eyed mongrel. I feel like we are on the verge of having close to or better 5231 night performance from a 4K (8mp) cam. I think you can't go wrong with the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE but 9 months later and some new products out, what would you seriously consider if you had no cams at all and you were adding 2, 3 or 4 to get started?

Also, one more thing, the technology is really moving fast.... what's really newer than the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE that is compelling to you....? The international vs US products are different and some of the DAHUA web sites are hard to read in terms of knowing what is new and a possible breakthrough. I recently saw some analog cams that looked WAY better than the IP cams at a local electronics store (Altex). And, I noticed that Dahua is super excited about CVI cams as well as a couple of members on this forum. I thought it was an IP world. Okay, any guidance to get me off the fence would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Nothing for the time being outpaces the night time performance of the Starlight models and that too especially the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE (which is essentially an extended PoE Version of the original IPC-HDW5231R-Z).
If you intend to go with a higher resolution Dahua camera, don't expect the same nightime performance, even in those recently announced 5MP Starlight Models. Also, IPVM mentions that the higher resolution Starlight models do not perform anywhere near the caliber of the IPC-HDW5231R-Z

2017 Dahua Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-ZE), ePoE, NEW!

Dahua 5MP Starlight Camera Tested (N52BM3Z)

You can't go wrong with the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE (or the original IPC-HDW5231R-Z for that matter)
@EMPIRETECANDY

Granted, technology will continue to change at an everlasting pace. Better to wait for reviews and feedback before hopping onto newer models. Cheers :)

I'm ready to order a couple of varifocal cams to get started.... Last August the most attractive thing to me was the new 5231 (IPC-HDW5231R-ZE). I like the new look better than the three-eyed mongrel. I feel like we are on the verge of having close to or better 5231 night performance from a 4K (8mp) cam. I think you can't go wrong with the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE but 9 months later and some new products out, what would you seriously consider if you had no cams at all and you were adding 2, 3 or 4 to get started?

Also, one more thing, the technology is really moving fast.... what's really newer than the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE that is compelling to you....? The international vs US products are different and some of the DAHUA web sites are hard to read in terms of knowing what is new and a possible breakthrough. I recently saw some analog cams that looked WAY better than the IP cams at a local electronics store (Altex). And, I noticed that Dahua is super excited about CVI cams as well as a couple of members on this forum. I thought it was an IP world. Okay, any guidance to get me off the fence would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks,

Robert
who cares if something will come along in 9 months..are you not going to have any incidents until then?
there will always be something better.
CVI has a benefit for those installations where cable is hard to replace or they want to mix and match with older analog. Its a transitional technology and should not be installed in a new setup. The fact that you saw analog cameras that were "way better" than the ip cameras simply means they displayed shitty ip cameras....
if you sit and wait for something better you will never buy anything...you will be the perpetual what if'er...

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay, I just purchased two 5231s via Andy. Now I just need to update my Ethernet switch, which was already a need for other reasons. I’ll probably get the Netgear GS728TP. Now, since I’m not a PC hardware user, only virtualization via Mac I need to figure out which PC hardware to run BI. I’ll check the appropriate NVR forum. I just wanted @fenderman know that I’m a man of action! :)

Rob

Pneuma

n3wb
Reaction score
I just set up my system on a Ubuntu Linux system and I use Xeoma as the NVR program and it works very well so far.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What’s the hardware?

Okay, that NVR software you mentioned seems more expensive than the gold standard BI and the licensing is far more complicated. It’s nice to know it’s an option though.

R

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Thanks,

Robert
Hi Robert,

I would still go with the original IPC-HDW5231R-Z - I actually like it better than the new version as I can paint the cover and get it to better match the walls, as well as the face looks like it would be handle any hits from bats, balls, rocks, sticks compared to the newer version which has a larger glass surface and less metal on the face.

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Mat, yes I see your point. Without a paint job the original 5231 is less noticeable once mounted and with painting to match. I see.... I might buy some old ones later, I’m just getting started and was not expecting bat attacks, jk. :)

R

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Mat, yes I see your point. Without a paint job the original 5231 is less noticeable once mounted and with painting to match. I see.... I might buy some old ones later, I’m just getting started and was not expecting bat attacks, jk. :)

R
The longer the camera lasts, the more pictures you can get ;-)

Burglars in a porche destroy a camera with a crowbar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnRG78I2xxM

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, it seems that there were two cams.... and the burglars only noticed one...?

R
So it seems... or they figured that they're covered enough not to worry ?

Either way, it is an interesting video to watch

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just set up my system on a Ubuntu Linux system and I use Xeoma as the NVR program and it works very well so far.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
Xeoma is not a trustworthy company. They pay for reviews by way of free licenses to users who spam forums with "positive reviews". They further take no action when I report such behavior. Finally, it is a russian company - worse than running chinese vms.

Pneuma

n3wb
Reaction score
Xeoma is not a trustworthy company. They pay for reviews by way of free licenses to users who spam forums with "positive reviews". They further take no action when I report such behavior. Finally, it is a russian company - worse than running chinese vms.
Thank you for the warning. Yes, I am aware of those facts, but I don't see many options on Linux. I know Blue Iris receives good reviews, but I feel more comfortable running a Linux server. I am also aware that it is developed by a Russian company, so I am taking steps to isolate the VMS machine from my network. So far, it works out fine for my purpose.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the warning. Yes, I am aware of those facts, but I don't see many options on Linux. I know Blue Iris receives good reviews, but I feel more comfortable running a Linux server. I am also aware that it is developed by a Russian company, so I am taking steps to isolate the VMS machine from my network. So far, it works out fine for my purpose.
windows is great and modern systems running windows pro start at 60-100 dollars all in with i5-3570 processors. Makes no sense to spend more on the license just to stick to linux.