my ptz camera starts having problems

BensonD

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, i am newbie here and joined today while doing some researches. I have installed this analog ptz camera in my system a couple of weeks ago. It worked perfectly until recently. last time IR comes on camera does not move, inday light camera moves left stops and go right on its own and can only move a little at a time to move left, it does not pan down at all, video comes and goes.
Any idea why is it doing this?

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We need more info in order to try to help you. Camera model? Connected to NVR? 12v/24v power? Indoor/outdoor setup?

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you unplugged the power and rebooted it? I would imagine so, but just checking.

BensonD

n3wb
Reaction score
Thx guys. It's a ptz camera i bought off from amazon. not known brands like dahua or hik. it's an outdoor analog model. connected to DVR. 12V. i paste the spec below. Really like this camera, feel solid and good quality. but not sure why this happend
Key Features:
1. 10x optical zoom with 10x digital zoom
2. Automatically / manually focus, Lens: 3.9mm ~ 39mm day / night
3. Pan rotation 360 unlimited degrees, tilt rotation 90 degree, rotation speed max 180 degree/s
4. 256 presets with 4 pattern tours and cruise patrol
5. Mechanical ICR for true day/night surveillance
6. Auto/Manual IR control; IR detect time: 2~15s, sync with the camera
7. Power Supply: DC12V, 3A

Operation :
Scan: Auto scan and left-right limited scan, speed adjustable
Alarm: No
Password Protection: Yes
Temperature display and setting: Yes, temperature alarm set, temperature display
Authority Management: Yes
Private Masking: Sony: 8 (linked private masking)
Communication: RS485 (+/-)
Baud rate: 2400/4800/9600/19200

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@BensonD, If the camera does not move at all with IR on but moves a bit with IR off, then its likely a power supply issue...How long is the cable run from the power supply to the camera? what gauge cable are you using?

Last edited by a moderator:

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I misread the original post, it does sound like it could be a power issue.
If you can test with the power supply plugged directly at the camera at night and see if it moves while IR is on at night, then you've sorted out your problem.. Cable too long, cable is too thin of gauge.

BensonD

n3wb
Reaction score
actually my problem has two stages:
Stage 1: images starts shattering and video loss and came back. it gets worse and worse each time, it shatters every time you wanna move it.
Stage 2: I rebooted a few times, this video problem gone but i can only zoom in and out now. no ptz control whatsoever.
My camera to DVR is about 30Feet, from there, it's connected to the office. in my system i have hooked up 4 ptz into one power supply so i think the power supply should be more than enough. is it possible the motor is bad? should i open it and check inside?

jordanb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Definately sounds like a power issue,

Sorry if im mis understanding but did you say that you have 4 ptz cameras working off of the same power supply?

What is the voltage and current rating of this supply?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Start with the easiest test, the power supply.

BensonD

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, new update, i opened up the camera, seems the IC is burnt. supplier is kind enough to provide me with a new IC board to replace this one. but still wanna find out why the IC is burnt so easy? any ideas? pls see attached images taken.

- - - Updated - - -

is it because of the power surge or just the bad quality of the board?

Attachments

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have blown that to peices, either over voltage, surge or reversed polarity will normally do the trick.
What sort of power supply are you using on the camera?

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys, new update, i opened up the camera, seems the IC is burnt. supplier is kind enough to provide me with a new IC board to replace this one. but still wanna find out why the IC is burnt so easy? any ideas? pls see attached images taken.

- - - Updated - - -

is it because of the power surge or just the bad quality of the board?

Is there any actual burnt chip? or is it just the cap that's blown all of its guts out?

Could have been something that caused it to blow, or just a low quality cap. They usually don't fail that quickly unless you have somehow got reverse polarity across the capacitor, or somehow exceeded the voltage rating on the cap by a fair margin and for a decent time.

I'd be curious to hear what you are powering this camera with. Don't tell me it's an unregulated supply with very bad ripple.

Technically what he said^

BensonD

n3wb
Reaction score
I am not smart about this at all. a friend helped to set up the system. It worked for a month or two then stopped the ptz. So guess should not from reversed polarity. you rekon maybe from power surge or over voltage maybe? I use one centralized power supply to support all my cameras. should be no problems i guess?

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Could be a surge, It'd have to be a big one.

What is this central power supply you speak of? specs, pics, model?

BensonD

n3wb
Reaction score
there is a battery back-up 12 volt 300 amp HR. the supply is 12v 30a Dc, Regulated Switching Power Supply 360w the system is divide through 2 PD8's fused with 2.5 amp fuses.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is the supply and backup separate circuits? ie isolated until a power failure or is the regulated power supply directly feeding the battery?

A regulated power supply is a good thing to hear. If it has decent smoothing on the output that shouldn't be an issue.

BensonD

n3wb
Reaction score
Is the supply and backup separate circuits? ie isolated until a power failure or is the regulated power supply directly feeding the battery?

A regulated power supply is a good thing to hear. If it has decent smoothing on the output that shouldn't be an issue.
Yes, they are seperate, 2 different units, rack mounted power supply to rack mounted ups. The UPS provides clean AC to the power supply which provides clean dc for the video.