My Speeding Dectector Setup

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I didn't mean anything bad about you. I have the police chief telling me he can't pull people over. When i know for a fact they pull bullshit on people and charge them just to bust their balls. Locally they frequently pulled my young relatives over. Then pull a dog drug search because he forgot turn his headlights on. When nothing is found they come up with a lame excuse. In your case they knew they didn't have a case. You still have to hire a lawyer, which costs money and time. So IMHO they were just "busting balls".

In my case they, the small few, are taunting me. They speed about 50, racing the sign. Some toot their horns, others rev their engines. Common driving courtesies are rarely used around here. IE, no signing, speeding up well you pull out to the road, etc.

As far as sending letters, they would be harassment IMHO. The previous poster has clearly explained the TN law. I think the law has swung too far in the wrong direction. I'll reply to his post later.

So shaming is all you are left with and guess what? The few who are left have no shame :(
This morning I had a lady possibly a teacher late for work going 48mph to work at 7:30am during school hours. We use to get moms doing this every morning bringing their kids to work.

God Bless.
I never thought you did. I say do whatever you need to do within reason to keep things safe in front of your house. I totally get it. It sucks to have to deal with that at your home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Laserray - Thanks for sharing your story. You're an interesting cat. I like your vigilante style. A little taste of Charles Bronson Death Wish.

What's your City Council have to say about this problem or is this like a Boss Hogg type of situation?
Speed bumps seem like a natural solution but probably hard to get implemented.

I see that two council seats are open in 2020. Interested?
Keep up the good work!

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Laserray - Thanks for sharing your story. You're an interesting cat. I like your vigilante style. A little taste of Charles Bronson Death Wish.

What's your City Council have to say about this problem or is this like a Boss Hogg type of situation?

Keep up the good work!
Thank You, that's greatly appreciate.
I'm no politician. very honest, and WYSIWYG.
The city manager is a ok dude. I can tell he is honest as he can be. He understands God and teamwork. That's all I need to work with a great person. I'm sure he would say the same about me. The city has it limits, yes it's small by no means Boss Hog. Other than that huge city hall they seem to want to be thrifty. They don't pay well at all. The police force has much improved over the last three years. I much regret my first encounter 6 years ago. I don't like being lied to. I feel better now that I've talk to the chief, and a few officers. The guy in the "police speeding video" is is a nice single father supporting his family. He doesn't deserve the hell he put himself in. I believe the system forced him into his situation. The "blue -wall" lets all their friends know that they can speed with impunity. They tell stories to family and friends, then get upset when you point out how jaded they have become. It everywhere!!! Again I've posted links to some video pointing this out.

I do have a "traffic study" on the speeding issue posted in my links section. it a fair report. I may not agree with it all but I think it covers everything in one place. -> Speeding in Residential Areas 2nd Ed. | ASU Center for Problem-Oriented Policing
Can't have speed bumps that's a safety issue. read the report if you can, it long. Can't have a stop sign, you must do a safety study first. That's also a code word for it's going cost money and take a long time, back burner.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
After eeeeeh, a news reporter discussion, I have decided to drop the facial recognition, and go down the autonomous vehicle not being in compliance direction. There should be no need to identify the individual to achieve results.They want me to get personal so the can through crap in the path of doing good. Seems like my whole country is running this way. Fake news. Makes me sad :(

Hourglass

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting project. But like others are saying if they know they are being filmed and are still doing this every day, they definitely do not care if you post the footage on the internet.

One thing comes to my mind is that it could be used by someone with bad intentions. Let's say if I want to break into someone's house, I would just need to go to the website and check when they leave and come back every day, so I can plan to break into their house when they are not home. I don't even have to sit on the side of the street all day long tracking them and attract attention.

The only reason I mentioned it is that one of my neighbor's got broken into during the day. It was around 2PM and no one was home at that time.

madasario

n3wb
Reaction score
Very cool stuff, @Laserray. I'm interested in setting up something like this, at least the first stages to see how much speeding there actually is. Your tech section on the website is really helpful. Would you be willing to share any code?

Cheers!

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interesting project. But like others are saying if they know they are being filmed and are still doing this every day, they definitely do not care if you post the footage on the internet.

One thing comes to my mind is that it could be used by someone with bad intentions. Let's say if I want to break into someone's house, I would just need to go to the website and check when they leave and come back every day, so I can plan to break into their house when they are not home. I don't even have to sit on the side of the street all day long tracking them and attract attention.

The only reason I mentioned it is that one of my neighbor's got broken into during the day. It was around 2PM and no one was home at that time.
Believe me, we tried to think most of these objections already. No one is recorded unless they exceed the limit. Your interpretation is wrong about the speeding. It was reduced from over 50% to 10-20% when the cameras went up. We use to exceed 50 mph every 2 hours, 40 mph every 20 minutes. That has been reduced sharply. The last 10% are scofflaws. One thing that is everyone in town that has any authority agrees is you have no right to privacy on a public road. Period, end of story.

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Very cool stuff, @Laserray. I'm interested in setting up something like this, at least the first stages to see how much speeding there actually is. Your tech section on the website is really helpful. Would you be willing to share any code?

Cheers!
Start with the Sportster III radar gun with display. For $300 you can get an idea of whats up. We are not ready to release code just yet. Stay tuned. Besides you would have to get the Certified, and calibrated DRU III radar unit. 400-500 just to start.
I started with and still use the Sportster to display the speed. All the digital radar stuff is DRU III -> Com to Web convert -> big ass computer.

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Keep up the good work!
Well you convinced me to attend my city council meetings, thanks. Right on about two open seats.
We know better than to show up new, and start some shit. We did get another newspaper article due to the ALPR system now in operation.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well you convinced me to attend my city council meetings, thanks. Right on about two open seats.
We know better than to show up new, and start some shit. We did get another newspaper article due to the ALPR system now in operation.
Good for you Laserray. Your city needs you. Time to start your grass roots campaign. "Take back the Streets of Cookeville". You can do it.

EssDeeEll

n3wb
Reaction score
I share your annoyance with speeders - I have the same here. Police and council not interested until someone is killed, then we get the old "lessons have been learned, things will change.....", with any luck they'll change the record.

Here in the UK you can force businesses and public bodies to cough up information, statistics, personal data held etc - you can also threaten these authorities with abatement orders issued by the courts if they are not doing their job, but that's another matter.

In my quest to prove it's dangerous down my road I started a little battle to have an SDR fitted (speed data recorder) for a week.

Speeding has to be in the 85th percentile for them to act (speed cam, traffic calming etc).... look what the dirty so and so's have managed to wangle somehow to make the average speed 29mph.

I know they have manipulated those statistics because a car I caught on camera going through at over 60mph with the exact time/date was not listed anywhere on the readout when cross-referenced.

Now I want to prove that these stats have been twisted and I think this might be the way forward!

Here's just one small part of the readouts.

histogram.jpg

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I share your annoyance with speeders - I have the same here. Police and council not interested until someone is killed, then we get the old "lessons have been learned, things will change.....", with any luck they'll change the record.

Here in the UK you can force businesses and public bodies to cough up information, statistics, personal data held etc - you can also threaten these authorities with abatement orders issued by the courts if they are not doing their job, but that's another matter.

In my quest to prove it's dangerous down my road I started a little battle to have an SDR fitted (speed data recorder) for a week.

Speeding has to be in the 85th percentile for them to act (speed cam, traffic calming etc).... look what the dirty so and so's have managed to wangle somehow to make the average speed 29mph.

I know they have manipulated those statistics because a car I caught on camera going through at over 60mph with the exact time/date was not listed anywhere on the readout when cross-referenced.

Now I want to prove that these stats have been twisted and I think this might be the way forward!

Here's just one small part of the readouts.

View attachment 48763
I'm at at loss at what 85% do the y want? Looks like your average speed is 29mph. So what? You want to clip the people going over 35 or so. This chart gives you blind statistics. It's close to what my city gives off their radar sign setups. You must be getting pattern times as well? The way I understand the 85% rule is, if 85% are speeding then that's the new speed limit. A rule which most have been made by the speeders themselves.
I can get the same charts as you have but I'm not finding them helpful. I rather have patterns, and the actual repeated speeders vehicle identities. While every government is going to give you lip service especially if they control the data. It's going to be much harder on them when you can show a pattern, who is committing the crime, and exactly what time of day. Graphs such as you have kinda blend in the trouble making scofflaws. We want to bring them to the top and expose them. This vehicles are not innocent, and are repeated offenders. Instead they cite a few random vehicles, and state they are trying to fix the problem. Most of the time they feel like the little dutch boy poking his finger in the dike. Thats because the don't attack the issue at the source. IMHO they don't really want you to know how many "connected people" they don't cite. There is not doubt my city/town is refusing to single out the real problem vehicles. So we collect data, let the problem vehicle float to the top, and we will report them on at a time. Patience is a virtue.
Keep up the fight!

What I haven't explained well, is this system is just tracking, and stacking. The political scene is more important. We had our 2nd newspaper story. This one seems more well received. Less protesting outside in front of my house. The speeds were climbing over 50mph. They have dropped again after the article. The article did state the the local police weren't going to do a damn thing. They chief state they issue 100 tickets per month. Well we have 100 speeders per day on one street, after the calming reduction setup. He also took a shot that their radar was calibrated. Referring to mine wasn't. He was told at our meeting that I had a certified, and calibrated setup. So they are just throwing bullshit at a wall, hoping something sticks.
We no longer have local police speeding down the road testing the system. So that's a plus. Time to start reporting, and citing commercial vehicles, and posting on their websites ;)

EssDeeEll

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm at at loss at what 85% do the y want? Looks like your average speed is 29mph. So what? You want to clip the people going over 35 or so. This chart gives you blind statistics. It's close to what my city gives off their radar sign setups. You must be getting pattern times as well? The way I understand the 85% rule is, if 85% are speeding then that's the new speed limit. A rule which most have been made by the speeders themselves.
I can get the same charts as you have but I'm not finding them helpful. I rather have patterns, and the actual repeated speeders vehicle identities. While every government is going to give you lip service especially if they control the data. It's going to be much harder on them when you can show a pattern, who is committing the crime, and exactly what time of day. Graphs such as you have kinda blend in the trouble making scofflaws. We want to bring them to the top and expose them. This vehicles are not innocent, and are repeated offenders. Instead they cite a few random vehicles, and state they are trying to fix the problem. Most of the time they feel like the little dutch boy poking his finger in the dike. Thats because the don't attack the issue at the source. IMHO they don't really want you to know how many "connected people" they don't cite. There is not doubt my city/town is refusing to single out the real problem vehicles. So we collect data, let the problem vehicle float to the top, and we will report them on at a time. Patience is a virtue.
Keep up the fight!

What I haven't explained well, is this system is just tracking, and stacking. The political scene is more important. We had our 2nd newspaper story. This one seems more well received. Less protesting outside in front of my house. The speeds were climbing over 50mph. They have dropped again after the article. The article did state the the local police weren't going to do a damn thing. They chief state they issue 100 tickets per month. Well we have 100 speeders per day on one street, after the calming reduction setup. He also took a shot that their radar was calibrated. Referring to mine wasn't. He was told at our meeting that I had a certified, and calibrated setup. So they are just throwing bullshit at a wall, hoping something sticks.
We no longer have local police speeding down the road testing the system. So that's a plus. Time to start reporting, and citing commercial vehicles, and posting on their websites ;)
I've put my local police force and council on notice - if there is a death I have years and years of footage of speeders with number plates (manually acquired with the MK1 eyeball) and I'll drag them to court with the community behind me.

The problem with the radar in my case is that there are double parked cars.... this forces people to pull in to let other's proceed. This lowers the overall speed as by the time they get back up to stupid speed they are round the corner and out of range of the radar.

I know one thing - after trying to run openalpr on my Q6600 I probably should build a dedicated setup for the cams. Will be taking a lot of advice from your thread. Thanks

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well I didn't do the KPH vs MPH conversion correctly. MPH x 1.6 = KPH. You will have no luck getting attention for anything under 35mph (56kph) in the US. In CA they can't arrest anyone under 35mph on any "non compliant road". I guess they have to certify speed limits on each road.

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well this month will be the 1st report sent to the city. I picked out 10-12 speeders one had 22 hits, basically twice a day. System had been up and down all month long. LPR works good some days, other days not so good.
We had a Dodge Changer hit 84mph in the dark with fog, road was wet.
I use the Freedom of Information Act to get a record of the people who were charge with speeding. The police chief claimed in our local paper they arrest 100 per month. The facts show this month it was two. So it's an up hill battle to get the police to do their job. And the news reporters are worthless., it was too hard for them to verify the facts :(
One interesting piece of data, when I send memo's to city hall the speeds drop. Every single time.
We have 4 cameras setup Loryta IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E IP 2MP Starlight Cameras and one IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E. 2 LPR 2 wide view. Now I need a side view camera to catch the vehicle side view.

Attachments

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Laserray - I really appreciate people who are willing to challenge the status quo and safety is a concern for me but not nearly as motivated as you are. So I'll chime in here and then likely drift off.

One thought though is the leverage to change behavior is not through law enforcement. but instead through the pocket book. Larger companies understand this and have telemetrics that track and report in real time things like speeding, rolling a stop sign, hard breaking, hard acceleration, they can even offer audio alerts such as "enter the parking lot from the first entrance to avoid the canopy". Why do this? Besides safety, it is a liability issue. The implementation that I lead included plans for the company to even video record daily safety insepctions.

Maybe you need to take a roll at marketing the data you collect to insurance companies?

sprocketq

n3wb
Reaction score
Could you post some pictures of your setup? I see the videos of the cars but not your setup at all.
Thanks.

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

cparktd

n3wb
Reaction score
You mention run over pets multiple times. Leash Law? It seems you care about the pets killed, perhaps you should attack that issue with the same vigor, put animal control on speed dial, record and and report them.

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You mention run over pets multiple times. Leash Law? It seems you care about the pets killed, perhaps you should attack that issue with the same vigor, put animal control on speed dial, record and and report them.
I care more about the people doing 45+ in a 25mph zone. We have lots of kids who walk to school while the teachers race to school at 50 mph. That's what I care about.
Top speed ? 84mph
How do people even remotely justified that? They don't. They come with stupid and unjustifiable excuses.
There are only about 10% who speed now, down from 60-40% but they are the worst.

I feel bad about the pets, but how are you going to feel when it's a small child running for a ball? It's a high density neighborhood in which the city did some very poor planing.

How about just slowing your speeding ass down?

sprocketq

n3wb
Reaction score
I probably would solve the issue by installing speed bumps in the middle of the night but I'm also in florida, and we don' t have snow plows. And yes, it's probably illegal.