My WD Purple HDD is too big for my AIO Dell OptiPlex 7460

Kingchimmy

n3wb
Reaction score
The WD Purple HDD 4TB is highly recommended in this forum. I bought one and copied all my data into it only to find out that the HDD is too big and won't fit the HD space of my All in One Dell Optiplex desktop. I got this back in February so I doubt I can return it. Should I just get a smaller HDD and if so, which one do you recommend? Or can I just use this one as an external HDD instead? Thirdly, can I still use the computer the same as it was even after mirroring the HDD to the WD Purple HDD?

Reaction score
Should I just get a smaller HDD
The model of the 'All in One' may not have a place for an HDD. Some only use M.2 drives. An All in One really is not designed for running BI. As @fenderman said, get a proper PC with sufficient HDD bays to run BI.

You could try something like @ctgoldwing posted, but you will probably have issues down the line and will find it very frustrating trying to identify the issue and solve it. USB drives have a habit of going offline at inopportune moments.

How did you actually go about mirroring the drive?

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The WD Purple HDD 4TB is highly recommended in this forum. I bought one and copied all my data into it only to find out that the HDD is too big and won't fit the HD space of my All in One Dell Optiplex desktop. I got this back in February so I doubt I can return it. Should I just get a smaller HDD and if so, which one do you recommend? Or can I just use this one as an external HDD instead? Thirdly, can I still use the computer the same as it was even after mirroring the HDD to the WD Purple HDD?
What's too big? The physical size in dimensions or storage. If the physical size is too big to fit inside the case, just get longer sata and power extensions and leave it on the outside of the case.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I’d do what’s suggested in the previous post, attach it externally, won’t be pretty and make sure you keep the electronics covered, you don’t want to accidentally short something.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @Kingchimmy

Micro PCs are not good options for NVRs. A lot of us like used Dell or HP business class PCs which have full size cpu's and can fit 2x 3.5" drives

Kingchimmy

n3wb
Reaction score
You are just asking for problems using usb. Use a proper pc for BI.
Honestly I'm not too tech savvy, however I know dell desktop computers are highly recommended here so I got what I thought was the best pc for BI. I didn't know when you guys recommend desktop computers you weren't referring to the All-in-One.

Kingchimmy

n3wb
Reaction score
What's too big? The physical size in dimensions or storage. If the physical size is too big to fit inside the case, just get longer sata and power extensions and leave it on the outside of the case.

Yes the physical size of the 4TB purple HDD is too big for the compartment of my PC. I don't know if I really want to use it outside considering its prone to fall or damage. I know the purple drive is recommended because its meant for video surveillance, but can I use the SATA stuff the first person recommended? Is it just as good for video surveillance?

Kingchimmy

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome @Kingchimmy

Micro PCs are not good options for NVRs. A lot of us like used Dell or HP business class PCs which have full size cpu's and can fit 2x 3.5" drives
That was a misunderstanding on my part. I just assumed you guys meant any desktop computers and not specifically one with a CPU. I think i also saw a popular YouTube video on setting up BI and i believe the poster said he has an AIO.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That was a misunderstanding on my part. I just assumed you guys meant any desktop computers and not specifically one with a CPU. I think i also saw a popular YouTube video on setting up BI and i believe the poster said he has an AIO.
Hi Kingchimmy,

AIO can be useful.. but not for what we want, so look for at least one large enough to hold a proper HDD and a non-mobile CPU

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes the physical size of the 4TB purple HDD is too big for the compartment of my PC. I don't know if I really want to use it outside considering its prone to fall or damage. I know the purple drive is recommended because its meant for video surveillance, but can I use the SATA stuff the first person recommended? Is it just as good for video surveillance?
Do not use a USB connection. You can get a sata enclosed unit and run the cable through an open card slot or notch the cover for the cable.
Better yet get the right pc if you do not want to go the route that I suggest.

Teeauu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Or strip the Dell guts out and put them in an aftermarket case. You would need to know what kind (type) of motherboard you have in order to buy the right case. Then you can put the drive in the case as intended.

Podagrower

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Kingchimmy

n3wb
Reaction score
Or strip the Dell guts out and put them in an aftermarket case. You would need to know what kind (type) of motherboard you have in order to buy the right case. Then you can put the drive in the case as intended.
Please don't take this the wrong way sir. I really appreciate your suggestion and attempt to help a total internet stranger like me. But it always amazes me when you guys suggest stuff that's way over my head and technical abilities. Maybe I'm just a slow poke who never learnt about computers and networking so in depth. But I really think many people on this forum either have a passion for stuff like this or a majority of you work in the IT industry. Please do not take this the wrong way, but majority of the time, I have no clue how to do some of the things I read here. But I'm determined to learn
I just bought a Sabrent enclosure for the WD 4TB HDD. I know its not ideal to use this as a permanent solution but I'm not sure what else I can do in my own capability.

Reaction score
Maybe you should of went the NVR route instead of Blue Iris PC build? Would of been easier.
You could ask a friend/family member/ or even a local IT company to assist you with building a computer.
This Blue Iris stuff most folks talk about here on IPCT is usually done by DIY'ers. You could ask relevant questions before purchasing equipment and folks with say yes or no or give opinions. Might save you some $$$ to ask first before purchasing.
This IPCT places does great at giving advice and opinions for the beginners. Give it a shot...ask some questions. We all know not everyone knows the different between MB and Mb :) So we do try to help.
In the mean time...gimme your AIO for my home automation touch screen purposes, please :)

Last edited: