N3wb from East Tennessee

Weather_Junkie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Ya'll. I'm kidding, I don't talk like that. Originally from Miami Florida, I transplanted to East Tennessee in 99 for a job in TV (behind the scenes). I love tech stuff and am big into still photography, videography, video editing as that's my profession but never got into surveillance cameras as I live in a pretty safe place. Now I have a 16 year old kid who's driving and has his own schedule that varies with his school, work and social life. As any other parent that battles with a teenager knows, there's some lying going on as well. I got his phone and car rigged up to check all that stuff (not a helicopter parent) just want to make sure he's not dead in a ditch, seeing if the car really does 180MPH like the speedometer says or leaving the scene of a hit and run.

But now when we're not home, he's bringing home friends (and girlfriends) when he's not supposed to and has let the pug on the couch even though it's on my wife's "oh you betta not" list. So I talked her into a affordable Amcrest PTZ camera to start off with and am just recording to my local computer drives for now. Baby steps. Problem now is, I fear I just got bit by the security camera bug like the rest of you all because I'm already doing research on an outdoor POE/PTZ Sunbu camera that has like 8 million candle power and a secret pepper ball mace gun in the back. Any way, happy to be here, sorry for all the current and future n3wb questions but hope to one day return the favor by helping future n3wbs with their stuff.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Ya'll. I'm kidding, I don't talk like that. Originally from Miami Florida, I transplanted to East Tennessee in 99 for a job in TV (behind the scenes). I love tech stuff and am big into still photography, videography, video editing as that's my profession but never got into surveillance cameras as I live in a pretty safe place. Now I have a 16 year old kid who's driving and has his own schedule that varies with his school, work and social life. As any other parent that battles with a teenager knows, there's some lying going on as well. I got his phone and car rigged up to check all that stuff (not a helicopter parent) just want to make sure he's not dead in a ditch, seeing if the car really does 180MPH like the speedometer says or leaving the scene of a hit and run.

But now when we're not home, he's bringing home friends (and girlfriends) when he's not supposed to and has let the pug on the couch even though it's on my wife's "oh you betta not" list. So I talked her into a affordable Amcrest PTZ camera to start off with and am just recording to my local computer drives for now. Baby steps. Problem now is, I fear I just got bit by the security camera bug like the rest of you all because I'm already doing research on an outdoor POE/PTZ Sunbu camera that has like 8 million candle power and a secret pepper ball mace gun in the back. Any way, happy to be here, sorry for all the current and future n3wb questions but hope to one day return the favor by helping future n3wbs with their stuff.
Welcome Weather_Junkie,

As It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
.. POE/PTZ Sunbu camera that has like 8 million candle power and a secret pepper ball mace gun in the back. Any way, happy to be here, sorry for all the current and future n3wb questions but hope to one day return the favor by helping future n3wbs with their stuff.
HI Weather_Junkie,

Before buying a Sunbu take sometime here and read the threads on Sunbu as well as those on Dahua PTZ models. A lot of members here prefer to spend a bit extra for better quality.