Natural Gas Generators

Reaction score
Well just had both my local Kohler and Generac dealer/electricians come out for a quote. Still waiting on both quotes. Kohler wants to do 26kw (I could probably size down to the 20kw) and the Generac dude wants to do a 24kw. These are the air cooled NG models. We will see how many zeros they want to add to the quote but I'm guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of $13k - $15k.
For us, we had a 24kw Generac generator, automatic transfer switch, a one thousand gallon propane tank, which we own, and filled with 800 gallons, installed. The cost was just at 30k.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
For us, we had a 24kw Generac generator, automatic transfer switch, a one thousand gallon propane tank, which we own, and filled with 800 gallons, installed. The cost was just at 30k.
Wow! Was the propane tank a big cost? My 27kw Liquid Cooled unit was 20K installed

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
WOW:wow:

MarioBoo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m thinking of getting a Kohler 30RCLA liquid cooled generator but the cost is definitely a concern because I could get a 2x Duromax 16k inverter plus a 1000 propane tank for less money than the Kohler.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Kohler quote was $15.5k excluding the plumbing hookup to NG for the 26kw model. Still waiting on a Generac 24kw quote.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Kohler quote was $15.5k excluding the plumbing hookup to NG for the 26kw model. Still waiting on a Generac 24kw quote.
Seems expensive, I would want be be paying $12-14K all in

The Air Cooled Kohler's are better in that they don't need valve adjustments, but there are less of them out there so issues don't get nailed down as quick as Generac. But on the flip sides, Generacs being cheaper have more problems overall

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Seems expensive, I would want be be paying $12-14K all in

The Air Cooled Kohler's are better in that they don't need valve adjustments, but there are less of them out there so issues don't get nailed down as quick as Generac. But on the flip sides, Generacs being cheaper have more problems overall
I thought so too. I was thinking in the $12 - 13k range. NG hookup should be fairly cheap. The gen placement is only a few feet from the meter so if it costs more than $400 I'd be surprised. The Kohler's also don't come wifi ready. They told me I'd have to buy a wifi module which is an extra cost if I want to connect to it via the app. I believe the Generac units come with wifi out of the box and ready to go.

I'll still wait to see the Generac quote. If the Generac is several thousand cheaper, I may see if the Kohler guys can come off their $15.5k number some.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score

ncpilot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interesting... I've got a Briggs & Stratton, and it's covered by genmon... and a spare pi gathering dust...

What's your method for viewing the info dashboards off the pi? Just remote into it?

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Does it replace MobileLink? We have dealer remote monitoring.
They sell a splitter so you can use both! Just make sure to read the notes

ncpilot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Inflation... my Briggs & Stratton installed 2 years ago (22kW?) was $10-11k, I got some discount for cash. Propane was another $1500-2k I think, tank "rental", install, + first fill (twin 120 gal)? Yeah, hookup to NG should be cheaper than propane...