Natural Gas Generators

ncpilot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I better get on it, 5 days into hurricane season!!!!!!!!

Since my gen has an RS-485 interface, I think I'd go with a pi hat and run rs485 wire from gen inside house, short enough to not affect data, and keeping electronics inside... then again, I should probably worry about induction/surge on the line running back into gen controller...maybe do an rs485 to fiber? Nah, getting expensive...

Maybe just use an rs485 to wifi box inside the gen housing? So many choices...

Opinions?

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I better get on it, 5 days into hurricane season!!!!!!!!

Since my gen has an RS-485 interface, I think I'd go with a pi hat and run rs485 wire from gen inside house, short enough to not affect data, and keeping electronics inside... then again, I should probably worry about induction/surge on the line running back into gen controller...maybe do an rs485 to fiber? Nah, getting expensive...

Maybe just use an rs485 to wifi box inside the gen housing? So many choices...

Opinions?
I did mine back when the Pi Hat was the only choice, so now I have a Pi4 inside the generator, connected with OM3 Fiber back to my network. No problems so far

I would not extend RS458 outside the generator personally, I'd be worried that lightning could strike and cause issues (Lightning often causes issues for Ethernet in conduit, for example)

ncpilot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'd be worried about heat killing the pi... the git recommended rs485 to wifi looks industrial, up to 85C ambient... probably safer way to go...

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
A Pi can also withstand those temps, I'm on the third record breaking summer so far, doesn't even get above regular operating temps

I did throw a small heatsink on the CPU, no fan though

It is a PITA to get to though! Gotta open the generator of course

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Quote for the Generac came in at $12k including NG hookup. I think that is the play…

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Problem with generators I think is that the engine itself is going to be the last thing to fail. Change the oil on time and you'll likely never have an issue, its all the other crap that will fail

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Problem with generators I think is that the engine itself is going to be the last thing to fail. Change the oil on time and you'll likely never have an issue, its all the other crap that will fail
Yup. As you mentioned the Generac's need to have the valves serviced annually. It may be worth having my electricians do that yearly for a fee. I don't really want to tear into the engine for that. I can do the air filter, oil filter, oil etc.. on my own easily enough.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Well I signed the quote and put 50% down for the Generac install. Should have it done in under 2 weeks. Also broke out my old RPi 3b I had sitting in a drawer and installed Genmon to it. Just waiting on the serial HAT from pintsize.me and then I can plug it into the generator and get all those fancy graphs and tools.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Awesome! Hopefully you can post good progress pics!

Got a space lined up for it?
Yeah right on the side of the house between the NG meter and the power meter. There is a 15 foot space that will be perfect for it to sit in. I had my RPi out there today making sure I had wifi signal and I do easily from there.

ncpilot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
:) How many of us have a spare pi laying around? LOL

Just had annual service, yeah, could do it myself, but while under warranty, I'd rather the installer do the work...

I need to get cracking with my pi... I think I'll go with an RS485 to wifi and keep the pi in the house...

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
:) How many of us have a spare pi laying around? LOL

Just had annual service, yeah, could do it myself, but while under warranty, I'd rather the installer do the work...

I need to get cracking with my pi... I think I'll go with an RS485 to wifi and keep the pi in the house...
I have two of them collecting dust: A 3b and 4. The 4 is overpowered for Genmon though.