Natural Gas Generators

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah exactly, I use the plywood to help screen the noise and keep heavy rain off of it. Neighbor is awesome, we share everything. I told him to go ahead and poach some juice for his fridge thinking it wouldnt be out long,... turns out we were out for over 9 hours.

Here's him deciding its time to hook his own up, I did mine while it was till light out ;)
(Dirty power from the generator causes some horizontal scrolling when SmartIR adjusts on the old 2MPO CVI cam.)

View attachment Home_ch11_20210411020354_20210411020510.mp4

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So you guys have power transfer system right under your meter? Standard equipment installed by FP&L?

ptzman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We lost power for 10 minutes, my neighbors generator kicked on and gave him power... I was stuck wondering when the power will come back on

I did get a call from the installer stating they are drawing up install plans, so its making some progress at least
What kind of drawings are they doing to install a generator on a concrete pad, install a transfer switch, and a gas line? Here where I live it would be up and running in a week after the contract is signed.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
What kind of drawings are they doing to install a generator on a concrete pad, install a transfer switch, and a gas line? Here where I live it would be up and running in a week after the contract is signed.
If I lived outside the city, that would be the case. Here they need to get it signed off by an engineer and submit it to get the permits

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
A few more details I don't think I've shared here. My got into a crash with my F150, so I'm getting a new one. New one on the way has the 3.5 Powerboost engine, with the 7.2kw ProPower option. This means it has Generator mode, and has 4 x 120v 20a outlets in the bed, plus a 240v 30a

I now in addition to the generator on the the way, I have a manual generator interlock, and a 30a inlet (Inlet will be installed tomorrow)

1619377992786.png

The inlet is super big, but it has a cover so you can close it while it plugged in

1619378053362.png

1619378125403.png

And, since its tax free emergency supply weekend here in Texas, I got 10x more 5 Gallon NATO gas cans

So, if the power goes out again, my NG generator will take over. And if the NG goes out, I'll plug my truck in.

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good luck, my neighbor has a 6 month old F150, and the tranny actually has blown up in it twice. They drop the pan, and it's full of shrapnel.
On the third transmission, This tranny is over heating from time to time, they've not solved yet.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
A point on the 30a Generator cords, what a mess. You'd think buying something so simple would be easy. Nope

I bought this, it looked good, had good reviews and the brand is trusted

But when I got it, it never locked. The fit was terrible. I can't imagine running 30a through the connector. You shake it, and it disconnects

I contacted them and they had this to say

1619379251807.png

And my review, denied

1619379283015.png

I ended up with this, MUCH better

I showed Reliance that a good cord will lock, they never liked that

1619379353987.png

I guess extension cords must be brand matched to the devices you are plugging into? What a joke of a company.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Good luck, my neighbor has a 6 month old F150, and the tranny actually has blown up in it twice. They drop the pan, and it's full of shrapnel.
On the third transmission, This tranny is over heating from time to time, they've not solved yet.
I'm not too concerned, choose any brand of product and you can find lemons. Of all the trucks out there (That will fit in my garage anyway) The F150 is the best, I looked at all the competitors and its not even close. The 10 speed in the F150 has been around for a good few years now, and has shown to be pretty good

The 7.2kw ProPower just seals the deal

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Go down to your local RV store. They will have plenty of 30/50A cords.
The one from Iron Box is super solid, SOOW cord and good ends. Nowhere locally here that I could find actually just sold what I wanted, which was a custom SOOW cord, but pre-made. I'd make it myself, but both Home Depot and Lowes were out of stock of 10/4 SOOW, and a whole spool is so darn expensive

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I just make my own cords. If it's a short run, under 20 feet, I use 10/3 SO cable and nylon connectors. If it's over 20 feet I like to go to 8/3 SO to keep the voltage drop as low as possible under heavy loads. Yeah, cable that heavy can be a real PITA to work with, but I've never had a problem.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
10 is probably fine. I have been known for my "overkill" habits. I doubt there would be more than a half volt drop, if that, under full load with 10 gauge. Your wallet would appreciate you staying with 10 gauge. Wire/cable has gotten pretty expensive recently, like up 25-50% over a year or two ago.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Stranded SOOW should also be better than whatever trash the pre-made cord was using too

The real test will be to see if it can fire up my AC. 4 Ton unit, pulls 20a running. I have a SureStart installed, so I think I might be able to get it going if its the first thing on

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
A few more details I don't think I've shared here. My got into a crash with my F150, so I'm getting a new one. New one on the way has the 3.5 Powerboost engine, with the 7.2kw ProPower option. This means it has Generator mode, and has 4 x 120v 20a outlets in the bed, plus a 240v 30a

I now in addition to the generator on the the way, I have a manual generator interlock, and a 30a inlet (Inlet will be installed tomorrow)

View attachment 87807

The inlet is super big, but it has a cover so you can close it while it plugged in

View attachment 87809

View attachment 87810

And, since its tax free emergency supply weekend here in Texas, I got 10x more 5 Gallon NATO gas cans

So, if the power goes out again, my NG generator will take over. And if the NG goes out, I'll plug my truck in.
I love mine! I have 3,500 miles on it, and no problems. It rides nice even with no weight in the bed. Great gas mileage as long as you
don't have a heavy foot. It really scoots! I do have one gripe, if you select recirculate, it kicks back off in about 10-15 minutes.
Old Mrs Timer has asthma and vehicle fumes bother her, so we run recirculate all the time.
The auto stop/start is annoying, but can be bypassed.

For hubble locking plugs, you have to watch, there are several Chinese companies that make crappy plugs. I bought one from amazon,
and I dropped it while I was wiring it up, only for it to break the case. I could imagine that happening while the cord was hot and pouring rain!:banghead:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

View attachment 87807

View attachment 87809

View attachment 87810

I have what looks to be the same inlet box. Very handy and protects the connection in heavy storms. Works good!