Need a 5-Door IP Cam Setup for a Mac - Vivotek Dome NVR Bundle ?

bef2ef

n3wb
Reaction score
I want IP Cameras just to cover my home entrances and possibly a higher quality unit for the driveway (100ft driveway). I'd prefer IP Cam's that could record some modest amount of video (a couple hours max), send me text alerts if it noticed a human coming by where I could get a look on my phone. I've read this is possible but somewhat inconvenient with some of the IP-Cam NVR systems.

Vivotek has the ND8322P-2TB-4FD3A NVR/4-IP Dome Outdoor bundle which looks good otherwise. I need an IP Switch anyway. I can get one of their higher end Dome's to cover the driveway. I'm out of touch though with the market landscape. I deal with enough software during the day I don't want to add any maintenance friction or at least as little as I can get away with. Setup, I can deal with.

I'm planning a Ubiquiti switch, router, wap setup otherwise. Not sure their cameras are best of class or otherwise how close. Any suggestions ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I want IP Cameras just to cover my home entrances and possibly a higher quality unit for the driveway (100ft driveway). I'd prefer IP Cam's that could record some modest amount of video (a couple hours max), send me text alerts if it noticed a human coming by where I could get a look on my phone. I've read this is possible but somewhat inconvenient with some of the IP-Cam NVR systems.

Vivotek has the ND8322P-2TB-4FD3A NVR/4-IP Dome Outdoor bundle which looks good otherwise. I need an IP Switch anyway. I can get one of their higher end Dome's to cover the driveway. I'm out of touch though with the market landscape. I deal with enough software during the day I don't want to add any maintenance friction or at least as little as I can get away with. Setup, I can deal with.

I'm planning a Ubiquiti switch, router, wap setup otherwise. Not sure their cameras are best of class or otherwise how close. Any suggestions ?
There are much better options...you dont want the domes...
read the wiki...
the vivotek and most other systems will not be able to identify a human vs another object.

mova

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm happy with my Vivotek NVRs. Maybe Fenderman can elaborate about why you don't want the domes?
I can't seem to find anything about it in the wiki

bef2ef

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks @fenderman I've got some reading to do. What's a decent night centric system look like ? Also curious about the favorite non-dome cams.
Best I can tell I may need a Windows box to run things.

Reaction score
Also have a look at: Cliff Notes if you haven't already.

Running into a meeting, so no time to see if it is mentioned in Cliff Notes, or just from reading the forums, but my take on domes:

Domes are less of a favorite because the plastic dome itself discolors or goes milky if left in direct sunlight. The dome itself needs cleaning more often than if the lens and IR illuminator were not underneath a dome, because of film or residue reflecting the IR back into the camera. Additionally if the illuminator is under the dome, the camera usually has a foam that is installed between the ring of illuminators and the camera lens to prevent light bleedthru, and over time that can get misaligned, shrink or start leaking light making the camera less effective.

That being said I have a dome on the garage, and still happy with it, but I would expect (based on years of experience on these forums), to eventually experience these issues. From what I recall, placing a dome under an eave or otherwise protecting it from direct UV, maybe reduce some (not all) of the problems a dome might encounter.

Since most people coming to this forum aren't likely to have hundreds of cameras installed, or have 3, 5 or 10 year old cameras where they are seeing degradation, sometimes members here will give you guidance simply so you can avoid those negative experiences down the road or save yourself some money.

Last edited: