Need a camera recommendation

tahoebigah

n3wb
Reaction score
I need a camera for my front door/porch. I plan on mounting on the ceiling in the corner above the front door. I current have a HikVision DS-2CD2043G0-I but I find it to big and it points almost straight down.

I was looking at the Avigilon 2.0-H3M-D01 but realized it doesnt offer night mode. I want something small and more discrete that offers night mode. Anyone know of any cameras that are fairly small, night mode, and POE?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I need a camera for my front door/porch. I plan on mounting on the ceiling in the corner above the front door. I current have a HikVision DS-2CD2043G0-I but I find it to big and it points almost straight down.

I was looking at the Avigilon 2.0-H3M-D01 but realized it doesnt offer night mode. I want something small and more discrete that offers night mode. Anyone know of any cameras that are fairly small, night mode, and POE?
Hi @tahoebigah

"I plan on mounting on the ceiling in the corner above the front door"

That will be too high for the purposes of IDing suspects. Will be good for watching the package drop area.

See Looney2ns review for dual lens starlight Dahua OEM camera - that's a great option for mounting at your front door at eye level - have one lens aimed at those at the front door and the other on the package drop area.

Review-Dahua IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M Dual Starlight Cam

tahoebigah

n3wb
Reaction score
The angle the Hikvision is at currently picks up the drop off area and the anyone standing at the front door with clear view of a face. I have another Hikvision that gets the sidewalk and and the front steps. Just looking for a camera that is more discreet and not standing out like a sore thumb. I just saw the Avigilon H4M and got excited but realized its not rated to go below 32F. :(

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tahoebigah

You are not testing correctly. Have a friend put on a hoodie, baseball hat and sun glasses. Have him steal a package and see if you and others can easily identify them.

The front door camera needs to be 5-6.5 feet up pointing straight out. If you mount on the ceiling all you will see is what happened, but not who did it.

Doorbell camera spots armed suspected burglars at front door of Covina home

Last edited:

tahoebigah

n3wb
Reaction score
I still prefer the Dahua 4231 Starlight mini-dome 'wedge' camera, especially for protected areas like porches.
I did sometime research and measured. I ordered this to test and believe it should work.

Discovered Friday morning someone got into the only car I have outside of camera view but it has nothing of value in it which I guess they discovered. I also bought the Dahua dual cam to cover that corner.