Need a new NVR for use with lorex cameras or ?

Luniz97

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a lorex system with lnb8105x 4k cameras. I just want a new nvr with better AI for person detection and auto etc. Facial recognition and ability to record plates in the future would be nice too.

What are my options without scrapping all the cameras too. I am thinking that is what I might have to do but I was hoping not to as to not spend a ton more.

What would be my best options without breaking the bank?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Consider a Blue Iris/computer combo as an NVR. Keep in mind an NVR is a stripped down computer after all....and isn't true plug-n-play like people believe. You still have to dial the cameras into your setting. Once you do that, might as well go with something that has the best chance of working with many different camera brands. And I have found Blue Iris to be more robust and easier than an NVR. As always, YMMV...

Many of us purchase a refurbished computers that are business class computers that have come off lease. The one I bought I kid you not I could not tell that it was a refurbished unit - not a speck of dust or dents or scratches on it. It appeared to me like everything was replaced and I would assume just the motherboard with the intel processor is what was from the original unit. I went with the lowest end processor on the WIKI list as it was the cheapest and it runs my system fine. Could probably get going for $200 or so. A real NVR will cost more than that.

A member here just last month found a refurbished 4th generation for less than $150USD that came with Win10 PRO, 16GB RAM, and a 1TB drive.

Blue Iris has a demo, so try it out on an existing computer and see if you like it. You can pull the cameras from the NVR right into Blue Iris by simply adding in the IP address of the NVR in the camera IP address of Blue Iris and then down about halfway is a camera # and you just select the camera number to bring in.

There is a big Blue Iris or NVR debate here LOL. Some people love Blue Iris and think NVRs are clunky and hard to use and others think Blue Iris is clunky and hard to use. I have done both and prefer Blue Iris. As with everything YMMV...

And you can disable Windows updates and set up the computer to automatically restart in a power failure, and then you have a more powerful NVR with a nice mobile viewing interface.

Regarding a camera for reading plates (LPR) - keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night:

1607010182386.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a lorex system with lnb8105x 4k cameras. I just want a new nvr with better AI for person detection and auto etc. Facial recognition and ability to record plates in the future would be nice too.

What are my options without scrapping all the cameras too. I am thinking that is what I might have to do but I was hoping not to as to not spend a ton more.

What would be my best options without breaking the bank?

Welcome @Luniz97

NVR + camera kits are sold typically with the capabilities of the cameras matching the NVRs ( firmware versions match functionality typically )

For many IP PoE systems, the cameras do a lot of the compute and then use their api ( Dahua API in this case ) to communicate that between the camera and the NVR. This way NVRs can do less compute and be more affordable, of course the camera doing more compute need better hardware and firmware.

SO .. what am I suggesting...

IF you want to do more complex compute I suggest:
Considering a VMS on a PC to do the complex processing you want. Many members here prefer Blue Iris, so that should be one of your first options to consider imho. ( look for the Blue Iris AI additions .. )

Good news, these cameras are using standards like rtsp and you can configure them to work with numerous products using standard specs.

1620159364942.png

Last edited:

Luniz97

n3wb
Reaction score
How do I know if these are rstp and how do I access it? I also looked at a synology system which looks decent. I just was not interested setting up a NUC from scratch and having to tinker. I have always been the kind of person to back end something and make it work, with security I just want a full proof system that isn't going to fail in windows.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How do I know if these are rstp and how do I access it? I also looked at a synology system which looks decent. I just was not interested setting up a NUC from scratch and having to tinker. I have always been the kind of person to back end something and make it work, with security I just want a full proof system that isn't going to fail in windows.
rstp .. check the spec sheet...

Most members do not go the synology route for numerous good reasons....

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many members here can assure you that when you disable Windows updates, you do not get a fail in Windows.

Like I said, you can give Blue Iris a try by pulling the cameras in from your existing NVR - simply pull the cameras from the NVR right into Blue Iris by simply adding in the IP address of the NVR in the camera IP address of Blue Iris and then down about halfway is a camera # and you just select the camera number to bring in. You can give the demo a try on a laptop, but I wouldn't suggest a laptop for long term usage with BI.

Most of us after dealing with NVRs for years and gave Blue Iris a demo, we haven't looked back. I knew within an hour of playing with it that is was superior to my NVR in every way possible.

If you upgrade to a Dahua NVR with AI capability, you will find very quickly that those cameras will need to be replaced with more capable cameras (for lots of reasons, from 4K on that sensor size that 2MP is put on, to the 2.8mm lens)...people would have to get within 10 feet of those cameras before facial recognition may start working. If they are installed on 2nd story soffit, not a chance.

Last edited:

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just bought the Blue Iris software and have been running it for about 2 weeks. I could have done it years ago, but was nervous about 'ramp up' time to learn it. Turns out the learning curve is no more or less than an hardware NVR. I was on a hardware NVR for about 5 years. The alerting on that turned that entire experience into simply reviewing footage if anything ever happened. In other words, very reactive. My wife opted out very early on as we were getting alerted for shadows, bunnies, tree movement, etc.
What I find with BI (and of course AI) is that the alerts I am getting are 'actionable'. Day 9 of having BI I got an alert just before the food delivery person rang the doorbell. But minutes later a cat walked all over our porch. I have footage of it, but did not get an alert as I only have AI looking for 'person'. With my existing (soon to be old) NVR I would get alerts on those items and if the wind blew to hard.
I am running a craigs list computer I paid $350 for. I7-2600 16GB RAM. I have currently migrated 4 cameras 3x4MP and 1x8MP. I just got my 16 port POE today so I can migrate my remaining cameras bringing the final count to 9. My CPU runs at about 30-40% so I will probably hit a hardware limit if I try to run all 9 cameras (one is 12MP), but that is ok, I just ordered a computer to run BI dedicated. It is a I7-10700 16 RAM, the reason is that I will be going up to 15 cameras this summer.

Last edited:

Luniz97

n3wb
Reaction score
I wanted a small form factor as I don’t have the space to run a full blown computer. I hate fan noise. No hardwire to my garage to put computer in there.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
a NUC will over heat and die under the 24/7/365 load of the BI app.

I have been running bi for more than a year on an old i7-4790 , 15 cameras 700MP/S at under 20% load.
It is recommend to use an old business class PC from Dell or HP. Add an 120GB SSD for the windows 10 PRO and BI. Add a 4(or8) TB for video storage.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua since Lorex is a Dahua rebrand and will give you the best chance of your cameras having some compatibility.

@EMPIRETECANDY - which NVR do you recommend for AI, face recognition, and handle 6 4k cameras and a doorbell off POE