Need a POE Switch recommendation please :)

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi guys. I currently have a Dahua 4KNVR. It has 8 POE ports. I am unable to access the cameras directly since they are behind the NVR's IP address. I need to be able to access each camera's UI directly to adjust their settings remotely.

Can someone please recommend a POE switch that will allow me to do this? Looking for 8 ports. I seriously have no idea what the difference are between then and a good price. I have been reading but it is above my knowledge level. I'd like it to work with blue iris if I transition that way soon and an i7 6700 instead of the NVR.

Thanks so much.

Attachments

C0m4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It might be that both POE switch (lan2) and lan1 are connected. Configure both lans so that subnets would be the same and try to ping POE lan from outside machine

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

C0m4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If not working, you don't really need an 8 port poe switch. A simple 5-port desktop switch plus a cheap POE injector (I've had somw very positive experience with cheap TP-Link devices) would do well.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It might be that both POE switch (lan2) and lan1 are connected. Configure both lans so that subnets would be the same and try to ping POE lan from outside machine

That won't work. Have the same NVR as you do. Cannot have the same subnets on the uplink and switch.

This would get it done. How are your networking skills? It's an enterprise piece of hardware, and there are no instructions, but Microsemi has great customer support and so does this board.

Microsemi PowerDsine 9012G PoE Injector PD-9012G/ACDC/M 12 Port POE Gigabit 844117001136 | eBay

He'd probably accept and even $100 plus the $15 shipping.

Have two of these non managed versions up and running. If you don't grab it, I might. I want the managed version that comes with onboard power management/diagnostics.

SD

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks guys!!!

Yes, I am pretty sure I need hardware to solve this dilemma. I don't know anything about these, but if think this is the solution I am happy to buy it and start figuring it out. I know basic networking enough to mess things up! But I am heavy reader and can follow DIY guides pretty well. Just need the cameras to not hide behind the NVR. And I was told that a switch will allow me to bypass the NVR for this reason. And plus if I upgrade to a blue iris set up I think I need this anyway?

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you read my thread at the top of this forum about hitting cameras web service in a poe nvr? I know it may not be ideal over a poe switch but you should read and try it as you may really like it, avoid changing your whole approach with a poe switch, and once you set up your cameras you won't really need to hit their web service all that much. Definitely read and watch my video. Good luck!

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Reading this!!! Thanks
Have you read my thread at the top of this forum about hitting cameras web service in a poe nvr? I know it may not be ideal over a poe switch but you should read and try it as you may really like it, avoid changing your whole approach with a poe switch, and once you set up your cameras you won't really need to hit their web service all that much. Definitely read and watch my video. Good luck!

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Cool. For an nvr that's full of cameras, you'll of course have to pull one cable out to get to the cameras and then if you need to get to the one you pulled out, you'll have to put that camera cable back and pull out a different camera cable for the laptop to hit that one remaining camera. Be patient and load any plug-ins needed to access the different camera menus. Once you load up a bunch it'll work for most of the cameras you have in there and will go quicker. I also recommend doing this in an IE browser rather than chrome. IE seems to play nicer. And once you're done, don't forget to reapply 'obtain address automatically' in your laptop so all is well there. However, if all you do is use the laptop wirelessly, you can keep the setting changes you made to do this so it's easier and quicker when you need to do it next time.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I currently have a Dahua 4KNVR. It has 8 POE ports...
Can someone please recommend a POE switch that will allow me to do this? Looking for 8 ports
An unmanaged PoE switch is simplest. You may want more 8 ports, but they don't all have to be PoE.

The NVR has 8 PoE ports built in, but equivalent functionality will require at least one more port that doesn't need to be PoE (8 cameras + a connection to the nvr or rest of your network).
If you only have 7 cameras an 8 port switch will work.

You also need to pay attention to the power budget of the switch and know that PTZ's are power hungry and require 802.3at PoE+.

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The 8 Port Dahua switch with 2 x 1gbps uplinks is really nice.

Each port is 802.3at (poe+) and it's very small in size/quiet.
DAHUA 8Port PoE Switch Unmanaged Two layer industrial PoE switch Support IEEE802.3af, IEEE802.3at standard PFS3110 8P 96 -in CCTV Accessories from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Don't mind it as a unmanaged switch.

@EMPIRETECANDY also sells another brand called UniPoe.
I've got the PM3010FSF from Andy and it's a nice simple rack mountable poe switch that can be managed as well.

Currently feeding the uplinks into my Meraki switch but will soon feed them with fibre to isolate each switch for those "just in case" moments with mother nature.
(1GB SPF SX LC multimode fibre is really cheap for both modules and cable)

Last edited:

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use the TP Link SG1008PE with Hikvision cams, it works awesome. I actually have 2 switches now, stacked.
I set cams with a static IP - meaning the camera address is always the same.
My custom PC Blue Iris NVR is connected to one of the switches. I have an internet link from my firewall (which is a custom router) also connected to one of the switches. All cameras are on the switches (POE).
I have absolutely no problem accessing the camera interface.

Basic IP Cam SetUp.jpg

Last edited:

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Cool. For an nvr that's full of cameras, you'll of course have to pull one cable out to get to the cameras and then if you need to get to the one you pulled out, you'll have to put that camera cable back and pull out a different camera cable for the laptop to hit that one remaining camera. Be patient and load any plug-ins needed to access the different camera menus. Once you load up a bunch it'll work for most of the cameras you have in there and will go quicker. I also recommend doing this in an IE browser rather than chrome. IE seems to play nicer. And once you're done, don't forget to reapply 'obtain address automatically' in your laptop so all is well there. However, if all you do is use the laptop wirelessly, you can keep the setting changes you made to do this so it's easier and quicker when you need to do it next time.
I don't have access to IE. I believe that is a windows only browser. But will try with Chrome.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That won't work. Have the same NVR as you do. Cannot have the same subnets on the uplink and switch.

This would get it done. How are your networking skills? It's an enterprise piece of hardware, and there are no instructions, but Microsemi has great customer support and so does this board.

Microsemi PowerDsine 9012G PoE Injector PD-9012G/ACDC/M 12 Port POE Gigabit 844117001136 | eBay

He'd probably accept and even $100 plus the $15 shipping.

Have two of these non managed versions up and running. If you don't grab it, I might. I want the managed version that comes with onboard power management/diagnostics.

SD
I'm a little concerned with the complexity of managed since you have to set it up and it is not plug and play. And I still need another switch before this? Also the size is very big for where I need to put it. It is doable but need to evaluate all options.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
An unmanaged PoE switch is simplest. You may want more 8 ports, but they don't all have to be PoE.

The NVR has 8 PoE ports built in, but equivalent functionality will require at least one more port that doesn't need to be PoE (8 cameras + a connection to the nvr or rest of your network).
If you only have 7 cameras an 8 port switch will work.

You also need to pay attention to the power budget of the switch and know that PTZ's are power hungry and require 802.3at PoE+.
I just moved up to 7 cameras. So I will need a switch that can handle 7-8 cameras. I take it 8ports works but one port gets stolen for the setup like you said.

I have a POE+ injector for the PTZ camera that currently works with the POE NVR. SO I take it, it will also work with a POE switch.

From my reading, unmanaged is preferred since I won't use the extra features or know how to and I won't have to configure the switch, it will be plug and play for unmanaged.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The 8 Port Dahua switch with 2 x 1gbps uplinks is really nice.

Each port is 802.3at (poe+) and it's very small in size/quiet.
DAHUA 8Port PoE Switch Unmanaged Two layer industrial PoE switch Support IEEE802.3af, IEEE802.3at standard PFS3110 8P 96 -in CCTV Accessories from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Don't mind it as a unmanaged switch.
I think this looks pretty good and it is $85 for 8 ports. DAHUA 8Port PoE Switch Unmanaged Two layer industrial PoE switch Support IEEE802.3af, IEEE802.3at standard PFS3110 8P 96 -in CCTV Accessories from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Would it also work with blue iris if I convert down the road? And do I still need a switch prior to this one from the router?

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use the TP Link SG1008PE with Hikvision cams, it works awesome. I actually have 2 switches now, stacked.
I set cams with a static IP - meaning the camera address is always the same.
My custom PC Blue Iris NVR is connected to one of the switches. I have an internet link from my firewall (which is a custom router) also connected to one of the switches. All cameras are on the switches (POE).
I have absolutely no problem accessing the camera interface.

View attachment 17186
This is exactly the setup I am looking to do. Just needs direct access to the cameras since the NVR blocks that.

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is exactly the setup I am looking to do. Just needs direct access to the cameras since the NVR blocks that.
Unless I am misunderstanding your diagram.... Can't you connect your POE Switch to your Netgear router, just like the NVR is (your diagram shows you have a separate POE switch connected to the NVR)?
This way, you netgear is the terminal to your cameras and with the camera address, you can access them.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Cainrand, a couple threads up people are talking about a second switch for some reason. Can I just connect the switch to my netgear wifi router, along with the NVR? And the NVR will find the static ip's of the cameras that way?

Sorry, this stuff is just not my expertise but I'm trying. And I think I can figure it out with a little help.

Attachments