Need a POE Switch recommendation please :)

Cupofschmoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm still new to this but it sounds about right to me.

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It has been an interesting path and learning a lot as I am in the middle of testing a Lorex with 60 day return which will be returned as 15dB over ambient is WAY too much. As I look at a final system and developing system wish list the Dahau PFS3110-8P-96 is on my short list to be paired with either a non-poe NVR or BI computer. For those that have been using the PFS3110-8P-96, how quiet is it? Is it a fanless model which is what I am really leaning towards.

As a secondary note, I may do a video on the noise output of the Lorex which spec wise is identical to the 4208 series, and of course the 5216-16P has the same delta 190w power supply which is the culprit. Just way too loud. With a room ambient of 31.2dB, ambient + PC is 33.3dB (adds 2.1dB), ambient + NVR is 48.3dB (adds a whopping 17.1dB), then ambient + PC + NVR is only 49.2, and increase of only 0.9 as the NVR apparently masks the PC. Now you can see why putting a premium on fanless, but can't tell if the Dahau is or isn't. Would appreciate feedback.

C0m4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
"Dahau" omg roflmaoaaa

It's Dahua. Dahau is an extermination camp.

Ontopic:

Dahua tend to be loud.

Yesterday I've installed 9 POE Milesight 4 mp domes, their cheapest model, D-link 16+2 POE switch, and an NVR that is so tiny that only one 2.5" HDD might be installed inside.

Picture is far superior to anything that Dahua or HIKvision have to offer. Literal broadcast quality and no pixelization whatsoever with 2048 vbr.

Although slightly more expensive than similar products of Dahua or Hik, the quality of products is comparable to those of top-end.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

C0m4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. Whats a ballpark figure for a 1080p ip cam (stay the dahua starlight varifocal) at 15fps, h.264? I googled and some calculators give me 4-5Mb/sec. So 8 cameras would be 32-40. So uplink of 10/100 should be enough, correct? Or am I missing something completely here?
Motion. It all depends on amount of motion at each moment times amount of motion per day.

I'd go with 12 fps and 2048 kbits per channel - it is enough for most applications, I've got these settings on few hundred cams and never had any recording quality issue, and would consider 35% motion for storage and 80% for transmission for a "regular" job - a parking, or a supermarket.

There's no such thing as 10/100 uplink. Network cards can work at 10 mbps or 100 mbps but it is either this or that.

100 would be more than enough for 8 cams, even 16, however you got to make sure that switches on both sides are good enough and distance is not more than, say, 90 meters with cat5 cable and 110 with cat7.

However, I would strongly recommend considering h.265 or at least h.264+ capable equipment.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Motion. It all depends on amount of motion at each moment times amount of motion per day.
Motion will not have any effect on bandwidth

I'd go with 12 fps and 2048 kbits per channel -
It's Kilobits per second, not channel. And that is a pretty low rate.

it is enough for most applications, I've got these settings on few hundred cams and never had any recording quality issue, and would consider 35% motion for storage and 80% for transmission for a "regular" job - a parking, or a supermarket.
What are you referring to when you mention motion and transmission?

There's no such thing as 10/100 uplink.
Actually there is and it is common to refer to as the op did. It auto senses the correct rate.

100 would be more than enough for 8 cams, even 16, however you got to make sure that switches on both sides are good enough and distance is not more than, say, 90 meters with cat5 cable and 110 with cat7.

However, I would strongly recommend considering h.265 or at least h.264+ capable equipment.
Meh.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
"Dahau" omg roflmaoaaa

It's Dahua. Dahau is an extermination camp.
This is most inappropriate.

I assume you are laughing at an innocent misspelling error. And further assume you are referring to the concentration camp Dachau.
There is nothing funny about Dachau and you should not be referencing it humorously. I have been there as a museum and it is horrifying. Some of my ancestors perished there. I will assume you are just ignorant and meant no harm.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can someone please recommend a POE switch that will allow me to do this?

Thanks so much.
I'm running Ubiqiity gear and it is the ducks guts. I've got both an Edgeswitch16 150W and Edgeswitch8 150W switch in my setup. The 8 Port is fanless and the 16 port is quiet. the 16 Port is about AU$400 locally at the moment. You should be able to get it for significantly less than that.