Need a Suggestion For Brand/Models For Security Cameras

Chaoscript

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,
I would love to hear your opinion about outdoor security cameras,
At the moment there are 3 cameras, 1 old FOSCAM, and 2 more Hikvision,
In addition, I have a Hikvision NVR model DS-7608NI-E2/8P.
The cameras and NVR are relatively old and support the old compress H.264, today if I'm not mistaken there is already compress H.265+ (I don't know if it's only Hikvision's or everyone else's).
In any case, if I'm going to change, I prefer to have a system/cameras from one company/brand.
It is important to me (emphasis on important) that they can see at night (of course also during the day) well, that is to say face recognition (as much as possible), otherwise the cameras are just for beauty.
The cameras will connect with POE

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What about Reolink?

Regards.
Only their doorbell gets some love here on IPCT. I have 2 of them myself.

But their other cams is a different story. LOTS of threads here on how bad they can be.....not too bad in daylight and no motion but the image degrades quickly in low light especially if there's motion....and what living night creatures do you know that do NOT move?

Chaoscript

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Only their doorbell gets some love here on IPCT. I have 2 of them myself.

But their other cams is a different story. LOTS of threads here on how bad they can be.....not too bad in daylight and no motion but the image degrades quickly in low light especially if there's motion....and what living night creatures do you know that do NOT move?

Thanks for reply,
So, how to decide between Dahua and Hikvision?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most here will go with Dahua over Hikvision - more variety of cameras and options. I have both and prefer Dahua.

Contact trusted vendor @EMPIRETECANDY a member here that sells on Amazon, his own website, and directly. He sells to people all over the world.

Chaoscript

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Where are you located?
Israel

Most here will go with Dahua over Hikvision - more variety of cameras and options. I have both and prefer Dahua.

Contact trusted vendor @EMPIRETECANDY a member here that sells on Amazon, his own website, and directly. He sells to people all over the world.
Thanks for the reply.

For both,
I looking for good cost effective cameras, I want high quality cameras but don't looking to invest a fortune :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

Of importance is the MP/sensor ratio. Only buy cameras that have a MP/sensor ratio in the green. Many cheap cameras throw 4K on a sensor designed for 2MP and thus the 2MP is the better camera when comparing the two.

1714228986788.png

Chaoscript

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

Of importance is the MP/sensor ratio. Only buy cameras that have a MP/sensor ratio in the green. Many cheap cameras throw 4K on a sensor designed for 2MP and thus the 2MP is the better camera when comparing the two.

View attachment 193381
Thanks for that!
It's means that if I take 4-8MP camera the minimum of the sensor is 1/1.8"?

What about the distance that I want to film? It's important?
What's prefer, 2/4/8MP?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
4MP is 1/1.8" sensor.

8MP is 1/1.2" sensor

There is no ideal sensor made for 5MP or 6MP

See my link that shows the proper camera for the distance you want to IDENTIFY.

Focal length is more important than MP.

My 2MP optically zoomed at 100 feet will beat an 8MP digitally zoomed all day long.

Pulled from that thread:

Here are my general distance and camera recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well. These particular cameras are generally accepted by many here as the best balance of performance day and night, price, and features. With all the cameras I have used and tested over the years, these are the ones I also currently use.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm - anything within 10-15 feet of camera OR as an overview camera. This camera is still considered the "gold standard" and many will say 4MP on the 1/1.8" sensor is the sweet spot for surveillance cameras.
  • 4K/X bullet or 4K/X turret - anything within 20 feet of the camera OR as an overview camera. The turret versions have a mic and the 4K/X bullet has two-way audio. These cameras need light and cannot see infrared. Keep in mind the larger sensor does mean the camera has a more shallow focus and has a definite sweet spot for focus and anything closer or further away will be a little soft. It is why most use it as an overview camera to capture color.
  • Color4K-T180 - is a great overview camera and can see 180 degrees left-right, so one on the front of the house can see down the entire front (unless you have obstructions LOL). This camera needs light and cannot see infrared. Most would not use this as an IDENTIFY camera. This camera has two-way audio.
  • T5449H-ASE-D2 2.8mm fixed lens - anything within 10 feet of camera where the object would be in a backlit condition at night. This camera has two-way audio.
  • 5441F-AS-E2 (AKA Boobie cam) or E3241F-AS-M- great choice for a front door camera. The boobie cam can have one lens pointed down for packages. This camera has a mic.
  • T5241H-AS-PV - Great little active deterrence camera with two way talk. Good for anything within 10 feet of camera or as an overview camera.
  • 5442 ZE or 5842-ZE- varifocal up to 13mm- distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer). This camera has a mic.
  • 5442 Z4E - varifocal up to 32mm - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer).
  • 5241-Z12E - varifocal up to 64mm - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer).
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • PTZs - the 49425 is great sub $450 auto-track PTZ or the SD4A425DB-HNY mini-PTZ (sub $400) and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams. If you have the budget though, the PTZ5A4M-25X is the best option unless you have an even bigger budget and could go with the PTZ4K45X-AI
  • Indoors, the IP2M-841 is a cheap common camera choice. Works with Dahua NVR and Blue Iris. Has wifi and ability to use POE with this adapter. Has two-way talk and basic autotracking.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Chaoscript

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
4MP is 1/1.8" sensor.

8MP is 1/1.2" sensor

There is no ideal sensor made for 5MP or 6MP

See my link that shows the proper camera for the distance you want to IDENTIFY.

Focal length is more important than MP.

My 2MP optically zoomed at 100 feet will beat an 8MP digitally zoomed all day long.

Pulled from that thread:

Here are my general distance and camera recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well. These particular cameras are generally accepted by many here as the best balance of performance day and night, price, and features. With all the cameras I have used and tested over the years, these are the ones I also currently use.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm - anything within 10-15 feet of camera OR as an overview camera. This camera is still considered the "gold standard" and many will say 4MP on the 1/1.8" sensor is the sweet spot for surveillance cameras.
  • 4K/X bullet or 4K/X turret - anything within 20 feet of the camera OR as an overview camera. The turret versions have a mic and the 4K/X bullet has two-way audio. These cameras need light and cannot see infrared. Keep in mind the larger sensor does mean the camera has a more shallow focus and has a definite sweet spot for focus and anything closer or further away will be a little soft. It is why most use it as an overview camera to capture color.
  • Color4K-T180 - is a great overview camera and can see 180 degrees left-right, so one on the front of the house can see down the entire front (unless you have obstructions LOL). This camera needs light and cannot see infrared. Most would not use this as an IDENTIFY camera. This camera has two-way audio.
  • T5449H-ASE-D2 2.8mm fixed lens - anything within 10 feet of camera where the object would be in a backlit condition at night. This camera has two-way audio.
  • 5441F-AS-E2 (AKA Boobie cam) or E3241F-AS-M- great choice for a front door camera. The boobie cam can have one lens pointed down for packages. This camera has a mic.
  • T5241H-AS-PV - Great little active deterrence camera with two way talk. Good for anything within 10 feet of camera or as an overview camera.
  • 5442 ZE or 5842-ZE- varifocal up to 13mm- distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer). This camera has a mic.
  • 5442 Z4E - varifocal up to 32mm - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer).
  • 5241-Z12E - varifocal up to 64mm - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer).
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • PTZs - the 49425 is great sub $450 auto-track PTZ or the SD4A425DB-HNY mini-PTZ (sub $400) and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams. If you have the budget though, the PTZ5A4M-25X is the best option unless you have an even bigger budget and could go with the PTZ4K45X-AI
  • Indoors, the IP2M-841 is a cheap common camera choice. Works with Dahua NVR and Blue Iris. Has wifi and ability to use POE with this adapter. Has two-way talk and basic autotracking.
WOW!
Thanks for that reply.

So from what I read here, most of them not good for night or need some light,
I prefer to take cameras that will be good at night (even maybe there some street lights), what do you think?
Another thing, I don't see here nothing exact for identify object, most of them for overview no?
Or I'm get it wrong?

Regards.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The cameras I provided links to are the go to at night and represent the best cameras to capture images at low light using infrared or built-in white light.

No, read that list, any camera that is 2.8mm or 3.6mm focal length are for overview or IDENTIFY within 15 feet.

You need higher focal length for distances and need to get the right focal length for the distance you want to capture.

Take the 5442-Z4E as an example. Here is the review thread on it and you can see the IDENTIFY being captured at distances of about 80ish feet.

Here is an example from @Ri22o of a 3.6mm focal length 180 camera view versus a 2MP varifocal OPTICALLY zoomed in to a pinch point. The person is next to the green line on the left:

1712768750219.png

And now a 2MP varifocal optically zoomed in to that area in green:

1712768785956.png

Which one is better for IDENTIFY?

Chaoscript

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The cameras I provided links to are the go to at night and represent the best cameras to capture images at low light using infrared or built-in white light.

No, read that list, any camera that is 2.8mm or 3.6mm focal length are for overview or IDENTIFY within 15 feet.

You need higher focal length for distances and need to get the right focal length for the distance you want to capture.

Take the 5442-Z4E as an example. Here is the review thread on it and you can see the IDENTIFY being captured at distances of about 80ish feet.

Here is an example from @Ri22o of a 3.6mm focal length 180 camera view versus a 2MP varifocal OPTICALLY zoomed in to a pinch point. The person is next to the green line on the left:

1712768750219.png

And now a 2MP varifocal optically zoomed in to that area in green:

1712768785956.png

Which one is better for IDENTIFY?
Sure that the last one (2MP) is better to identify,
But it's means that I need to set the focal with fixed zoom no?
(It's not like PTZ that you "play" with the zoom in the software)

Also, these cameras will works with Synology Surveillance system?

Regards.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, varifocal cameras are a set it and forget it. You set the focal length for the distance you want to IDENTIFY and then don't touch it.

Yes they will work with Synology.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I would love to hear your opinion about outdoor security cameras,
At the moment there are 3 cameras, 1 old FOSCAM, and 2 more Hikvision,
In addition, I have a Hikvision NVR model DS-7608NI-E2/8P.
The cameras and NVR are relatively old and support the old compress H.264, today if I'm not mistaken there is already compress H.265+ (I don't know if it's only Hikvision's or everyone else's).
In any case, if I'm going to change, I prefer to have a system/cameras from one company/brand.
It is important to me (emphasis on important) that they can see at night (of course also during the day) well, that is to say face recognition (as much as possible), otherwise the cameras are just for beauty.
The cameras will connect with POE
Welcome @Chaoscript

I see you already got some top notch advice ..

"I have a Hikvision NVR model DS-7608NI-E2/8P "

basic rules :
1) if going NVR based solution : Match the OEMs and spec / tech level with the Cameras and NVRs .. ( NVRs have resolution, bandwidth, Smart Features / AI features .. ) ( HIkvision OEM or Dahua OEM are preferred for selection of cameras available and ability to find reasonable prices )
2) if going Blue Iris VMS on a PC or other VMS .. look for quality ONVIF spec cameras
3) Avoid Reolink NVRs .. they only seem to work with Reolink cameras, and those cameras perform poorly in low light due to affordable components they use .. ( see threads on this one )

Chaoscript

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For the Dahua cameras, if I want to install it on the roof, I need to buy an bracket or it's comes with?

Yes, varifocal cameras are a set it and forget it. You set the focal length for the distance you want to IDENTIFY and then don't touch it.

Yes they will work with Synology.
So I film my yard where I want to put the cameras, there are more places but want to hear please first what do you recommends for here,
This is "start" of the yard (where you can see 1 FOSCAM camera there, in the left corner)
There will be 1 camera (replace the Foscam)
start of the yard.jpeg

This is the entrance of the house, currently have Hikvison camera, need there camera to identify people/faces
enterance.jpeg

Another point of view of the yard
point of view.jpeg

Here is the "end" of the yard, where I need also camera that will be point to other camera (to get all the area without dead spots)
end of the yard.jpeg

I don't want 1 camera to get all the yard, because I will miss some details (this is what I believe) so I prefer to "split" the yard with few cameras to get all the area.

I try to find some 5442 of Dahua in Andy's Amazon store, but I found these,

First, these are 5442 cameras?
Second, it's Dahua brand or Andy's brand?

Welcome @Chaoscript

I see you already got some top notch advice ..

"I have a Hikvision NVR model DS-7608NI-E2/8P "

basic rules :
1) if going NVR based solution : Match the OEMs and spec / tech level with the Cameras and NVRs .. ( NVRs have resolution, bandwidth, Smart Features / AI features .. ) ( HIkvision OEM or Dahua OEM are preferred for selection of cameras available and ability to find reasonable prices )
2) if going Blue Iris VMS on a PC or other VMS .. look for quality ONVIF spec cameras
3) Avoid Reolink NVRs .. they only seem to work with Reolink cameras, and those cameras perform poorly in low light due to affordable components they use .. ( see threads on this one )
Thanks for the reply.
My NVR is so old, support old compress, I prefer new machine or maybe NAS as NVR
I saw that the Blue Iris is a software, I assume like IVMS? make the same functions?
Reolink is out of the game :)

Actually we are making some video how to connect hikvision NVR to our cams ;)
Thanks for reply,
Your cameras are Dahua original or your brand? didn't catch it :)

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those are the correct links.

I would go with the 5442 3.6mm for the front door and the 5442-ZE varifocal for the others.

Yes EmpireTech cameras are Dahua OEM - paying less for not having the logo!

Chaoscript

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Those are the correct links.

I would go with the 5442 3.6mm for the front door and the 5442-ZE varifocal for the others.

Yes EmpireTech cameras are Dahua OEM - paying less for not having the logo!
Thanks for the reply.
The varifocal means I need to set it manual the lens, right? (it's not automate like PTZ)