Need Advice: 8 Cameras with NVR

paaji

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently have Qsee, which died. I am looking to replace the current system with NVR from DVR. Wiring is already there with Cat 6.
I need advice which ones to buy and from where? Hikvision, Dahua or something else? Any reliable sellers on Ali express or amazon? Is it possible to buy bundle or I will need to buy individually?
I need at least 4mp and all will be installed outside. I read where others recommending turret over dome.

I saw some packages on Costco and Samsclub with 4mp cameras and nvr in range of $700+

Main thing for me is mobile app besides the cameras and nvr. I liked superlive pro for qsee (alerts and email picture attachments) where as other apps for lorex, swan etc not really that great.

If you can provide some links that be great as where I can purchase it from?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@paaji You prob don't have an answer because this question gets asked a hundred times over around here.

First: Only you know your situation and setup needs, so it's hard for anyone to recommend what you need.
Two: Most kits in Costco and Sams club are actually rebranded HIK or Dahua hardware - look around the forum several threads break out labels by brands.
Third: You will spend a little more going the individual piece route HOWEVER you will be able to get a camera style and lens that fits the location. Most package kits come with 4 or 8 of the same camera and a 2.8 or 4mm lens, which prob isn't what you need for EVERY camera location.
Fourth: You seem set on 4MP but you may want to do research as to why a lower MP may be better for your needs since these will all be outside - my guess is this will mean IR is important to you and 2mp cameras have a better night image, unless you have plenty of ambient or additional lighting. Camera megapixels: Why more isn't always better (Smartphones Unlocked)
Fifth: Pretty much everything is going to have a mobile application now, and most have some type of motion detection with snapshots.
Finally here are two example links of LTS hardware (which is HIK) showing 3mp, 4mp, and finally 2mp cameras installed. This will just give you some real world reference for the hardware. If you are interested you will want to find user: @milkisbad as he can assist forum members with access to this hardware since they normally only sell to authorized/licensed professionals.
LTS 2MP Dome & Turret install
HIKVision & LTS 3 & 4mp Camera review/example

Finally for HIK, if you area novice I would stay away from AE and sometimes Amazon. AE is going to be gray market cameras. These are hacked firmware/region HIK cameras that will carry no warranty or support from HIK. They will also not be upgradable - this isn't a big deal but you need to understand what you are getting yourself into if you go this route.

For Dahua you may want to look up a recent thread (prob still showing in "recent posts" that user @nayr just started showing a new starlight camera, it has some amazing IR/Night images and if you are serious about an outdoor camera with solid IR it might be worth a look.

Again, not trying to be rude but you need to take some time and spend an hour or two browsing around the forum - simply starting a thread of "what should I do" doesn't get people to far as it gets asked all the time and there are to many variables in play for anyone to really respond. Not to mention, you need to do some leg work yourself honestly. So do some research, then start asking specific questions to your situation, and the community will come out to assist.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm on this same quest, and have been on this forum now for about 6 weeks. So far I've gleaned that I didn't know what I didn't know. I learn something new here everyday.

Here is some of what my pea brain has gathered:
Dahua is a great choice.
When buying a NVR, keep it the same brand as the cams.
Lots of folks here have successfully purchased Dahua products from Aliexpress.
Buy turrets when possible.
Your main concern is to identify the person doing the bad deed, thus 4mm or 6mm lens are much better at this then 2.8mm.
If you want to identify, don't mount cams above 8ft. Lower is better.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
in addition to all the great advice given so far, learn to use this tool to its fullest: Camera Calculator / Design Software

but without knowing exactly what your looking for, id say a Dahua 5216-4kS2, with a couple 6-8TB WD Purples, and 8x Dahua 2MP Starlight Varifocal turrets.

paaji

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for help.
Is there vendors you recommend from Aliexpress?
One more question. Which IP cameras or nvr allows IP can be assigned individually? I mean if I want to use Tinycam app or another apps which works better than vendor apps.

Thanks

alexvas

tinyCam Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for help.
One more question. Which IP cameras or nvr allows IP can be assigned individually? I mean if I want to use Tinycam app or another apps which works better than vendor apps.
Just be sure the cameras is ONVIF compatible. tinyCam Monitor should work with ONVIF cameras perfectly.