need advice and help BI v4 and computers delay/freezing issues/slow

lalord69

n3wb
Reaction score
i need some advice or help please, i have tried a few suggestions and setups and i still have issues.

I have 5 cameras, all foscam, 1 wired and 4 ethernet: 3 9821p, 1 8904w and 1 8904p.

In a desktop running BI v4: Specs Asus-AMD phantom X4 quadcore 9600, 4gb ddr2 ram, win7 64bit., OS in a SSD and 1TB for video storage.

network: 50mbps, nighthawk dd-wrt kong build

Issues:

All were working OK when they were first setup for about a week. Now, the picture freezes, upon motion, the videos/alarms recorded are choppy, and they loose connectivity pretty regular. Also the controlling of the P/T is very choppy to say the least via the BI app or in the desktop.

all cameras were setup at 30fps all around in their settings and in BI settings(unticked automatically adjust).

tried changing the buffer to 10mb then 15mb in BI but did not fix my issues.
tried clicking the AUTOMATICALLY adjust ON and nothing.
tried changing the frame rate to 15 in BI and in the cams settings and nothing.

BI is updated, all cams firmware is up to date too.

any help?

I also have a dell laptop intel i5 2.3ghz, 6gb ddr3 ram, win7 64bit, woud swapping this with my desktop to run BI could fix my issue?

please, i am willing to try anything at this point.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@lalord69 Welcome to the forum. What is your cpu consumotion when the freezes are happening?
When the cameras disconnect can you view them if you log into them directly?

lalord69

n3wb
Reaction score
CPU is between 67% to 89% when it all starts to freeze. when BI loose connectivity, i can access the GUI of the cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
CPU is between 67% to 89% when it all starts to freeze. when BI loose connectivity, i can access the GUI of the cameras.
Your freezing issue may be related to cpu consumption. Your processors is weak...the cheaper low end cameras like foscam and their clones have know to have connection issues with blue iris.
The first thing you can do is change each camera to record direct to disk and use the Blue iris DVR file container. Camera properties > record>file format. You should also drop your frame rates to 15fps in the cameras own interface..this should lower cpu consumption and possibly resolve your issues.

lalord69

n3wb
Reaction score
Your freezing issue may be related to cpu consumption. Your processors is weak...the cheaper low end cameras like foscam and their clones have know to have connection issues with blue iris.
The first thing you can do is change each camera to record direct to disk and use the Blue iris DVR file container. Camera properties > record>file format. You should also drop your frame rates to 15fps in the cameras own interface..this should lower cpu consumption and possibly resolve your issues.

i will lower all of them to 10fps on its own and will change record direct to disk. do you think swapping BI to the laptop would help me? is there anything else i can change on the cameras settings?

are there any other settings you recommend changing on the cameras? these are my options

stream type: hd/equilibrium/smoth/user defined
resolution: 720/VGA/QVGA
bit rate: 4M/2M/1M/512k/256k/200k/128k
frame rate: 1 to 30
key frame intervals: 10 to 100
variable bit rate: yes/no

then same options for SUB STREAM VIDEO SETTINGS.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i will lower all of them to 10fps on its own and will change record direct to disk. do you think swapping BI to the laptop would help me? is there anything else i can change on the cameras settings?

are there any other settings you recommend changing on the cameras? these are my options

stream type: hd/equilibrium/smoth/user defined
resolution: 720/VGA/QVGA
bit rate: 4M/2M/1M/512k/256k/200k/128k
frame rate: 1 to 30
key frame intervals: 10 to 100
variable bit rate: yes/no

then same options for SUB STREAM VIDEO SETTINGS.
You can lower the key frame interval to match the fps...so if your fps is 10 set the key frame to 10.
Set the bitrate to 1M.
Leave the resolution at 720p
As far as the laptop, what is the exact model of the processors..there is a huge variation between i5 models.

lalord69

n3wb
Reaction score
You can lower the key frame interval to match the fps...so if your fps is 10 set the key frame to 10.
Set the bitrate to 1M.
Leave the resolution at 720p
As far as the laptop, what is the exact model of the processors..there is a huge variation between i5 models.
its intel i5-2410M @ 2.30ghz

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The laptop i5 you have is faster than your desktop...so you might want to give it a shot..make sure its wired not wireless tough...
The laptop scores a 3160 passmark vs 2200 on your desktop....the amd is also not power efficient and could be costing you more to run than buying a new machine..get a killawatt meter.

lalord69

n3wb
Reaction score
The laptop i5 you have is faster than your desktop...so you might want to give it a shot..make sure its wired not wireless tough...
The laptop scores a 3160 passmark vs 2200 on your desktop....the amd is also not power efficient and could be costing you more to run than buying a new machine..get a killawatt meter.
very true. thats funny you mention that, i just order a killawat yesterday for the same reason. i made the changes to all cameras to 10fps and 1M in their GUI and in BI, i also changed the record direct to disk in all cams and i will see how that goes for the night since i get a few montions thurout the night and i will post my findings in the AM.
I will also get the laptop ready migrate the desktop to it. Ill keep you posted fenderman, much appreciate it

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
very true. thats funny you mention that, i just order a killawat yesterday for the same reason. i made the changes to all cameras to 10fps and 1M in their GUI and in BI, i also changed the record direct to disk in all cams and i will see how that goes for the night since i get a few montions thurout the night and i will post my findings in the AM.
I will also get the laptop ready migrate the desktop to it. Ill keep you posted fenderman, much appreciate it
No problem..the killawatt or devices like is are awesome...you will be amazed at the power sucking devices you have, like some pc speakers/subwoofers...av receivers etc.....I once found a pc 5.1 system that was using 40w while idle...I never turned them off assuming they used little power...it was costing me 70 dollars a year simply keeping them on...

lalord69

n3wb
Reaction score
well after lowering all settings to 10fps still same issue so i swapped machines. im using the laptop and the issue is fixed and i even pushed the cameras to 25fps and its working great, cpu stays around 18% to 40%.

now for the issue. BI is sending a lot of false alarm under motion. the sample video it sends, seems like if there was a "light" adjustment making it detect "motion" but there is no light adjustment. also the motion is set very low, like at 25% on both. I'm 100% that there is no light adjustment. its only on the 3 fi9821p cams.

any ideas or sugestions?

i also changed the buffer to 10mb to all but didnt not fix it.