Reaction score
Hello,
I currently have the following setup.

NVR:
HS-NVR6408-1U-P8

Cameras:
2 x DS-2CD2142FWD-I
4 x NC304-TD

The NVR and 4 x NC304-TD seem off brand.

The NVR interface is clunky and requires IEtab to view the feed, I can no longer use playback from the NVR remotely.

I am unable to get firmware to upgrade even if needed.

I need advise as to if I can get away with just a new NVR, and what name brand full featured model should I go with, Or should I rip and replace.

Thank you in advance!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As you have Hikvision cameras I would go with a Hikvision NVR.

It is strongly recommend that with an NVR and cameras, that they all come form a single manufactures. Do not mix and match. You will loose camera functionality if a camera is not matched to the NVR.
One other thing to keep in mind is that some manufactures limit the ability for NVRs to support there own cameras from different regions. So Chinese hacked cameras may not work with an International NVR. Even from the same manufacture.

Get a bigger NVR than you think you will need. If you think an 8 port NVR will do the job buy a 16 port NVR.

DigitalADHD

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks All!

As you have Hikvision cameras I would go with a Hikvision NVR.

It is strongly recommend that with an NVR and cameras, that they all come form a single manufactures. Do not mix and match. You will loose camera functionality if a camera is not matched to the NVR.
One other thing to keep in mind is that some manufactures limit the ability for NVRs to support there own cameras from different regions. So Chinese hacked cameras may not work with an International NVR. Even from the same manufacture.

Get a bigger NVR than you think you will need. If you think an 8 port NVR will do the job buy a 16 port NVR.
Do you know of a decent feature rich model?

Got a Windows PC? Install BlueIris and try it out for free.
Thanks, I do own it already, but would like a stand alone appliance nvr as well.

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks, I do own it already, but would like a stand alone appliance nvr as well.
I had a 8 channel Hikvision NVR. Review footage was difficult as it only works in IE and mobile app, mobile app is slow, no motion detection with my onvif cameras, motion alert is impossible to use as there is just too many false alert, and etc. So I tried out BlueIris for free and I liked it so much that I bought it the second day to install it on a $30 used PC. Then I sold the Hikvision NVR on ebay and never look back since.
BlueIris is cheap at $60 and it gives you so much features and function you can never have on a NVR. Function like AI looking at the photo to determine what is in the photo, any device with a modern browser can view the live feed or footage, I can set it to text or email me if the AI see a person in the picture at my specified hours, and many many more.

I strongly suggest you try out BlueIris for free on a PC.

Last edited:

DigitalADHD

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Then I sold the Hikvision NVR on ebay and never look back since.
So did you run all your cameras back to a poe switch?

I just bought a newer blueiris dell OptiPlex 3050 windows desktop than I had, It has an I5-7500, Should this be ok?
It has windows 11, but I plan on loading windows 10.
Thank you!