Need Advice on building a system

bucko81

n3wb
Reaction score
I am new to this site, and new to the surveillance camera world. I am needing some help and advice on setting up a system. I have done some research on here, there is some much info it makes my head spin. lol From the site I have found that the Dahua products are the preferred way to go. Which is a reliable vendor to go thru to purchase the stuff, so I don't get a knock off? Also, I have decided to use a NVR setup, with about 4-5 cameras. I have a detached garage, 3 of the 5 cameras will be on the garage (for perimeter viewing). I have a two story house, so putting the NVR in my house and running wire to my detached garage is going to be a challenge. Might just have to put the NVR in my garage. I am wanting to be able remotely view my cameras from my laptop or iphone, I would like night vision, and prefer dome cameras. Which NVR would ya'll recommend? I have read on here that the satellite series cameras are the best, which megapixel camera is a good all-round camera to get? Also, if I set the NVR in my garage, will I have to hook it to a router, so it will talk with my router in the house?

Thanks for any help, please go easy on me, as you can probably tell, I am a novice at this. lol

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome Bucko81,

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Lots of others have had your questions so do take at look in the Dahua camera section, NVR section, Pics and Video Camera captures and installs,...

Have fun joining us here.

bucko81

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw your remark about watching out for the Chinese market Dahua products, that's why I was curious where to purchase them from. I like the Dahua Starlight's that you have recommended, I pretty sure I'll get a few of those.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw your remark about watching out for the Chinese market Dahua products, that's why I was curious where to purchase them from. I like the Dahua Starlight's that you have recommended, I pretty sure I'll get a few of those.
Hi Bucko81,

I also had the same concerns.. definitely read through my notes - quick answer is a Andy @EMPIRETECANDY he did a great job on my order and numerous others here and is an active member of this forum.

You've got a few options on how to connect your detached garage cameras / network to the house network - so take the time to read through the notes and look at what others have been doing.

I think the summary is to
1) Drop a few Cat6/Cat5e lines between the house and garage - most people prefer burial in conduit
or
2) Powerline adapters - with a PoE switch in the garage

WiFi is an option - but not as reliable - thus less liked here.