Need camera recommendations, 2nd story

ykket

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I am at the point where I am replacing my last two Q-See cameras that were installed years ago and a bit stuck. They are in the backyard overlooking my patio. At night, they are currently absolutely useless since they are on the second story underneath the soffit. I replaced all other cameras with a combination of Hikvision and Dahuas last year and they are working great. Looking at these pictures, I am curious to hear what recommendations you guys may have. Not sure if it matters, but I use Blue Iris as well.

Thanks

Camera #1
qc-day.PNG
qc-night.PNG

Camera #2
qc-chan3-day.PNG
qc-chan3-night.PNG

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd look at the new 5442 models from Dahua. Bigger 4MP 1/1.8" image sensor should do a lot better in low-light, but honestly it looks as if your Q-See cameras don't have IR turned on in the shots above?

ykket

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd look at the new 5442 models from Dahua. Bigger 4MP 1/1.8" image sensor should do a lot better in low-light, but honestly it looks as if your Q-See cameras don't have IR turned on in the shots above?

Thanks, I'll take a look at them. I'll have to look at the IR settings too, I do not believe I turned them off but you never know. In any case, I want to replace them. Appreciate the model to take a look at though. Any issues with being on the second story?

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll take a look at them. I'll have to look at the IR settings too, I do not believe I turned them off but you never know. In any case, I want to replace them. Appreciate the model to take a look at though. Any issues with being on the second story?
I think the biggest issue you're going to have with being second story is you'll just have proof that "something happened" and most likely, you'll already know that b/c of the resulting theft/break-in. So at that point, what has your cameras really done? Keep in mind that you're so high up that you're only going to see the top of peoples heads and its unlikely imho that you'll even be able to tell what race/sex they are. To have any real chance of getting anything identifiable, you'll definitely need to be lower.

fwiw, I can relate btw b/c I also have a 2 story home.

ykket

n3wb
Reaction score
Thinking out loud (via typing), I am wondering if using a corner mounting bracket or wall mount on siding and bringing it lower on the wall and run the network cable behind the siding/J channel or something similar would be a viable solution. I would get a couple of them to cover the area I am looking to watch. Thoughts?

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I am fully aware of the less than ideal location for these. Trying to do some research on best way to do all this.
It's okay to have two cameras up there so you get a good overview look of the yard and you can see what's going on out there. But you can then add something down low maybe above your back door. Check out this forum, you could probably do something like this down by your back door, for facial id. good luck

Reaction score
What did you end up going with, @ykket ? I'm in a similar situation. I'm thinking of putting a bullet up high under the soffit and then having turrets down low (7'-0" or so high) near the entrance and the driveway for IDing purposes. I like the idea of something high just to see my overall property (front, back, side yards).

ykket

n3wb
Reaction score
What did you end up going with, @ykket ? I'm in a similar situation. I'm thinking of putting a bullet up high under the soffit and then having turrets down low (7'-0" or so high) near the entrance and the driveway for IDing purposes. I like the idea of something high just to see my overall property (front, back, side yards).
I ended up getting 2 turrets and placed them about 8ft high. I get a much better view of the patio and can actually see faces now.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had 3 spare 5231's and decided to put them up above my 2nd floor as general overwatch. Super FOV up that high knowing no facial id. But, I can see humans and cars in the area :)
I think that's kind of what I figure. If I've got the extra cameras, extra poe ports and the CPU horsepower to handle them then I'll install them and have them running. No, they may not be the IDEAL camera for that location but it beats nothing until I can someday put something better there.