Need direction

Mrjamoc

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
Just joined today so thanks for having me. I currently own Ring cameras. They work ok, however as many know, or have experienced there are definitely better options.
Im looking to upgrade for a couple reasons.
1. Im tired of the subscription fee. While its not terrible Im just over it with subscriptions in general.

2. It seems no matter how good a wifi connection you have there are still times the signal is weak. I installed a ubiquiti access point. This helped tremendously but I know POE is better overall.

Ive been looking at many manufacturers. Im seeing while there are different brand names a large majority falls under the same parent companies.

Of the ones Ive looked at Reolink seems to be the best value. However I tend to be hesitant with anything sold on amazon. The alarm of “Buy for price, buy it twice” goes off in my mind.

Like anything else, the amount of money one can spend is endless in such a category. To get better feedback heres what I want/my expectations:
-Excellent picture quality which performs as good at night as it does daytime.

-zoom that actually shows a clear image on what you want to see.

-two way audio

-siren (ive had to use this once and it was very effective)

-Im interested in PTZ cameras as long as they stay relatively in focus and dont give ya a headache following anything from a nat to a tree branch.

sorry for the long winded introduction, I will need a NVR as well. Im thinking I wont do anything more than 6 cameras so an 8 channel should be fine.

Reaction score
read this first and then re-ask questions.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome!

You uttered two swear words already...Ring and Reolink. Everyone has an opinion and they all stink so here's mine.

Spend $1,500 - $2,500. Set up a Blue Iris system and get some good 4MP Dahua or Hikvision cams that are POE. Two way audio is overrated in my opinion. Without getting into the specifics of what to get read those cliff notes but think about a Blue Iris system if you want upgradability without worrying about subscription fees or an NVR that will date itself at sometime forcing you to buy another or be locked into one brand of cams.

Mrjamoc

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome!

You uttered two swear words already...Ring and Reolink. Everyone has an opinion and they all stink so here's mine.

Spend $1,500 - $2,500. Set up a Blue Iris system and get some good 4MP Dahua or Hikvision cams that are POE. Two way audio is overrated in my opinion. Without getting into the specifics of what to get read those cliff notes but think about a Blue Iris system if you want upgradability without worrying about subscription fees or an NVR that will date itself at sometime forcing you to buy another or be locked into one brand of cams.
so my suspicions were correct.. Tons of good info already provided in the links. I already read through some of it and its making much more sense. If im gonna spend the money, may as well be right.
Im sure I will have follow up questions as I dig deeper

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,
Just joined today so thanks for having me. I currently own Ring cameras. They work ok, however as many know, or have experienced there are definitely better options.
Im looking to upgrade for a couple reasons.
1. Im tired of the subscription fee. While its not terrible Im just over it with subscriptions in general.

2. It seems no matter how good a wifi connection you have there are still times the signal is weak. I installed a ubiquiti access point. This helped tremendously but I know POE is better overall.

Ive been looking at many manufacturers. Im seeing while there are different brand names a large majority falls under the same parent companies.

Of the ones Ive looked at Reolink seems to be the best value. However I tend to be hesitant with anything sold on amazon. The alarm of “Buy for price, buy it twice” goes off in my mind.

Like anything else, the amount of money one can spend is endless in such a category. To get better feedback heres what I want/my expectations:
-Excellent picture quality which performs as good at night as it does daytime.

-zoom that actually shows a clear image on what you want to see.

-two way audio

-siren (ive had to use this once and it was very effective)

-Im interested in PTZ cameras as long as they stay relatively in focus and dont give ya a headache following anything from a nat to a tree branch.

sorry for the long winded introduction, I will need a NVR as well. Im thinking I wont do anything more than 6 cameras so an 8 channel should be fine.
Welcome @Mrjamoc

Requirement: zoom that actually shows a clear image on what you want to see.
Reply: look for optical zoom .. a proper PTZ .. expect a proper quality outdoors rated PTZ to be larger than you think, and cost more ..

If you are on a budget, consider 2+ fixed lens or varifocal lens cameras instead. ( this is what most of us prefer vs one PTZ in most cases )

Requirement: two way audio
Reply: do check local laws .. possible issues with recording audio apply here .. in general, to me the first and most important feature is getting a top quality image capture. I only want 2 way audio at my front door intercom. ( can be a video intercom ). Remember camera technology is not the same as voice technology, ...

Requirement: siren (ive had to use this once and it was very effective)
Reply: if you add too many spec requirements for a camera, you will have less cameras to pick from .. and less of a chance of getting a good camera.
Remember a siren can be a separate unit .. it does not have to be a part of the camera.
( consumer kits like to through in a bunch of wiz bang features .. and sell for a cheaper price .. resulting in a poor camera for image capture .. try to avoid the "maximize features" trap .. get the best image capture device you can, and augment with other products .. )

Reolink .. most of us recommend avoiding them, as they have numerous issues. The most important is compatibility issues as well as poor performance in low light conditions.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Suggest a good used computer from eBay with a i5-8500 or better (around $300 - $350) that will be dedicated as a Blue Iris server. A good but inexpensive 4MP Dahua PTZ will be around $425 if you really feel the need for one otherwise put that money into some 4MP Dahua cams which cost about $170 each more or less. A simple POE switch for up to 8 cams is about $30. Like I said, try to budget $1,500 - $2,500 for a pretty decent system you'll be happy with and will be very versatile.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
See this thread as well:

Mrjamoc

n3wb
Reaction score
Suggest a good used computer from eBay with a i5-8500 or better (around $300 - $350) that will be dedicated as a Blue Iris server. A good but inexpensive 4MP Dahua PTZ will be around $425 if you really feel the need for one otherwise put that money into some 4MP Dahua cams which cost about $170 each more or less. A simple POE switch for up to 8 cams is about $30. Like I said, try to budget $1,500 - $2,500 for a pretty decent system you'll be happy with and will be very versatile.
I figured $2,000 for sure, If I go over for the right setup im ok with that. Better than dropping $1,100 on a future paper weight