Need DVR recomendation or NVR if that's possible

TonyBasso

n3wb
Reaction score
Can someone please point me in the right direction (forum) for DVRs? I need to replace my 16 camera DVR with something that is much easier to monitor remotely and without a lot of software issues. My current ICSRealtime system is more trouble than it's worth. I don't mind purchasing new cameras if needed, although the current ones are not that old, but I'm not sure how to best handle my current coax wired cables? Unfortunately I can not rewire, so I'm stuck with my current coax I guess?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can someone please point me in the right direction (forum) for DVRs? I need to replace my 16 camera DVR with something that is much easier to monitor remotely and without a lot of software issues. My current ICSRealtime system is more trouble than it's worth. I don't mind purchasing new cameras if needed, although the current ones are not that old, but I'm not sure how to best handle my current coax wired cables? Unfortunately I can not rewire, so I'm stuck with my current coax I guess?
icrealtime is rebranded dahua so if you dont like the current dvr, you likely wont like a replacement by dahua or hikvision. your best bet is a software based vms like blue iris. You can stream from your current dvr to blue iris.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to replace your cameras, look at dahua epoe ip cameras. There are lots of options. You can couple them with a dahua epoe switch and proper dahua baluns to run power and data over your coax.
The best solution is to replace the coax.

TonyBasso

n3wb
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't even mind the hardware or software of my current system. It just seems to have a lot of remote viewing issues (very intermittent). Is there a better option to use my current wiring, and replace the DVR with blue iris I hear about?

TonyBasso

n3wb
Reaction score
Tomorrow, I'll tell you exactly what model number DVR and cameras I currently have installed. Hopefully you will have a good recommendation on how best to proceed. Great forum. Wow!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't even mind the hardware or software of my current system. It just seems to have a lot of remote viewing issues (very intermittent). Is there a better option to use my current wiring, and replace the DVR with blue iris I hear about?
What remote viewing issues do you have?
The best and most secure way to remote view is to setup a vpn (See wiki).

TonyBasso

n3wb
Reaction score
My mobile app, LTS Connect always seems to loose the login credentials with the DVR

TonyBasso

n3wb
Reaction score
I did go back and find my original estimate from the installation company. This is what I currently have installed:

(1) ICRealtime Edge08, 8 Channel Digital Video Recorder, internet ready, enhanced H.264, 240FPS

(1) ICRealtime SATA HDD, 500GB Hard Drive

(1) ICRealtime Remote View Software (included with DVR)

(4) ICRealtime ICR300H3, Outdoor IR Color Dome Cameras, Vandal Proof,

Weatherproof, 2.8-12mm Vari-Focal Lens, 700 TVL (black)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did go back and find my original estimate from the installation company. This is what I currently have installed:

(1) ICRealtime Edge08, 8 Channel Digital Video Recorder, internet ready, enhanced H.264, 240FPS

(1) ICRealtime SATA HDD, 500GB Hard Drive

(1) ICRealtime Remote View Software (included with DVR)

(4) ICRealtime ICR300H3, Outdoor IR Color Dome Cameras, Vandal Proof,

Weatherproof, 2.8-12mm Vari-Focal Lens, 700 TVL (black)
Wow that stuff is old. You need to replace the cameras as well. I would suggest paying someone to rerun the cables using quality ethernet. Alternatively you can go the epoe route as mentioned above. Another option is using dahua CVI cameras with a CVI DVR that runs over coax but again you will be limiting yourself to the DVRs you can use in if you're not happy with that you're stuck.

TonyBasso

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. If I can't rerun cables (it's terribly complicated), what's my best option? I don't understand the epoe route?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. If I can't rerun cables (it's terribly complicated), what's my best option? I don't understand the epoe route?
A professional will charge you 100-150 to run cable in wall. It may be even easier if he can use your current cable as a pull. There are multipe threads on epoe. It will allow you to run ip cameras over coax using special baluns. You will need an epoe compatible dahua camera and an epoe switch or NVR.

TonyBasso

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately rewire is not an option. I went back and got my DVR model number, it's not as old as originally thought, it's an LTS model LTD8316T-ET

TonyBasso

n3wb
Reaction score
I guess one more question. Is there a good (easy set-up) iphone app that can be used with my current DVR set-up and cameras?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess one more question. Is there a good (easy set-up) iphone app that can be used with my current DVR set-up and cameras?
Hi @TonyBasso

Remember, DVRs exposed to the internet are getting cyberjacked - so make certain you protect it.