Need good camera that can zoom in on person in IR mode, so we can show to the cops

kris2001

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

We sometimes get our yard vandalized by punks in night time!

Need a nice quality PTZ camera that can zoom in during night time , on the culprit ....to get a nice face shot.

Please suggest what's the best bang for buck. Here 's what I found so far:

Nice HD:
http://www.costco.com/Q-See-1080p-IP-Add-on-PTZ-(12x)-Zoom-Camera.product.100101497.html

Nice SD:
maybe even this if the SD is good ...
http://www.amazon.com/Q-See-QD6531Z-K-Pan-Tilt-Camera-Optical/dp/B009OZ2SQQ?t=slickdeals&tag=slickdeals&ascsubtag=c9c045c1998a4ee580a5760001559cc7

All we need is one good camera that can zoom in on object , so we can show to the cops:) Budget is max $700.

Pls suggest !
Thanks
Kris

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

kris2001

n3wb
Reaction score
http://wrightwoodsurveillance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_16&products_id=384

I have one, it really cant be beat, its got excellent IR at distance unlike the one you found.. check out the review from @networkcameracritic did on the 30x and go ahead and buy one.

Ive got several videos scattered about these forums showing the 12x
Thanks bud! But can it "follow" a moving object/person so we can id the face in total darkness? So far we have got foscam videos of the person that looks like the avg teenager wearing shorts lol... (Can't id the face ).

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sure can, its quick enough to follow anyone on foot.. ive chased Coyotes/Cats/Rabbits around at night from a distance and they move faster than most pedestrians.
If your clever enough to wire some sensors up like me it might even be able to follow people on its own.

here's what videos I have online:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
and because I needed a better night demo I just recorded this lil session of playing about.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi

We sometimes get our yard vandalized by punks in night time!

Need a nice quality PTZ camera that can zoom in during night time , on the culprit ....to get a nice face shot.

Please suggest what's the best bang for buck. Here 's what I found so far:

Nice HD:
http://www.costco.com/Q-See-1080p-IP-Add-on-PTZ-(12x)-Zoom-Camera.product.100101497.html

Nice SD:
maybe even this if the SD is good ...
http://www.amazon.com/Q-See-QD6531Z-K-Pan-Tilt-Camera-Optical/dp/B009OZ2SQQ?t=slickdeals&tag=slickdeals&ascsubtag=c9c045c1998a4ee580a5760001559cc7

All we need is one good camera that can zoom in on object , so we can show to the cops:) Budget is max $700.

Pls suggest !
Thanks
Kris
I would not recommend either of those. The cheap one probably won't have better image quality than the foscams and the expensive one doesn't have night vision. Neither has automatic tracking.

It may be possible to find a good PTZ with auto tracking and night vision in your price range but I think you would be far better off with several 2 or 3 megapixel fixed position cameras, like the Hikvision 2032. These cameras normally come with 4mm lenses which have a fairly wide angle, but you can easily get these cameras with 6 or 12mm lenses which are zoomed in significantly so they can capture more detail in a smaller area. For $700 you could get 3 to 5 of these (depending on where you buy them from) plus all the cables and switches you need to get them powered and connected.

Also note that infrared night vision often does not make for the clearest identification pictures. You may want to install a couple bright motion sensing floodlights as this will likely switch the cameras into daytime (color) mode for better identification, and scare off any intruder anyway.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Nayr,

That camera is amazing and I really dig the tracking. Does this come with some form of dome over the lens? I'm sorry bro, but the camera looks like some form of alien genital. It's like "Just Hanging Down" :livid:.

I'm being serious here. This cam is really nice, just wish it looked a little more like standard issue dome. :shame:

Tiger

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
... I'm sorry bro, but the camera looks like some form of alien genital. It's like "Just Hanging Down" :livid:.
I'm being serious here. :shame:
Tiger
I almost spit my coke out over my laptop ... or had it coming through my nose!
Too funny!
And you're being serious?

PTZ with zoom & IR = No dome. Better image quality. No IR vs Dome headaches.

It is "hanging down" a bit because it allows for more functionality and a few deg above horizontal, iirc.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah with a vandal dome all it does is cause problems with IR lighting; from a distance you cant tell where its pointed and it looks very much like a traditional dome style.

I was kinda put off by its looks too; but now that its installed I think it looks great and its performance is astounding.

Attachments

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I almost spit my coke out over my laptop ... or had it coming through my nose!
Too funny!
And you're being serious?

PTZ with zoom & IR = No dome. Better image quality. No IR vs Dome headaches.

It is "hanging down" a bit because it allows for more functionality and a few deg above horizontal, iirc.
Hey brother,

It's just a little bulbous at the base :cower::cower::cower:

You know what. I really don't mean any disrespect towards a fellow comrade here. I really dig Nayr's setup. It really is amazing and I'm getting the impression that he is extremely knowledgeable in the art of surveillance. If he was my next door neighbor I'd have one of these bulbous devices hanging as well. Not because of the physical looks of the camera, but because I would have been fortunate enough to have someone as talented as Nayr living next door and helping me set it up.

Tiger

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah part of the bulb shape allows it to look up past its horizon; which is a unique feature to this PTZ.. If your not mounting it 15' in the air like I have, it would prove to be extremely useful.. this allows you to zoom in on objects the same height or higher than the lens is positioned.

I use it to look at the night's sky from time to time; was watching a lightning show the other night that was pretty cool.. Neighbors had door to door roof inspectors up on his house and I had no problem keeping an eye on them when they climbed higher than the PTZ

Attachments

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't see a problem ;)

But, one thing is for sure ... I may never think about ipcams again in the same simple practical way ;)

You shouldn't be intimidated about setup, really, it just takes some time, research, budgetting, smarts, a left and a right hand and some RTFM :)

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't see a problem ;)

But, one thing is for sure ... I may never think about ipcams again in the same simple practical way;)

You shouldn't be intimidated about setup, really, it just takes some time, research, budgetting, smarts, a left and a right hand and some RTFM :)

Look familiar ?

Gonarch_first.jpg

If anyone is as old as me they might recall fighting the Gonarch in the original Half-Life.

Modern day Sci-Fi looks at bugs for creative ideas. Perhaps the Chinese were looking at the alien creations :laugh:.

Tiger

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, no humor allowed or you will be banned. :cool:

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
vector,

A good forum thrives on constructive feedback and a little off-the-wall humor. Please explain what I have done to upset you and a few of your colleagues? Have I offended someone that your close to? Is this some form of an elite group? You can satisfy your own control over this matter or you could do the right thing and loosen the noose a few notches and understand this.

Tiger

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you not see my smiley faces after each post? Lmao!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont think he gets sarcasm...Tiger, vector was joking..there is no banning on this forum. I dont know where you even got that idea that someone had an issue with your humor.