Need help building/picking a system

ZeusyZeus

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone so I went the normal route of consulting a security advisor but after they quoted me 1k$ for one Axis camera and a NVR I told him to go kick rocks and now I’m on here doing my own due diligence with you fine people.

I almost pulled the trigger on this bad boy today...LaView 8-Channel 4MP Full HD 4TB IP NVR System (6) 2688x1520P Bullet Cameras, 100 ft. Night Vision, Free Remote Viewing-LV-KNU98SILEW4-T4 - The Home Depot

But I decided to hold off. Seems like a pretty good deal but I think I should leave myself open to atleast an 8CH just in case. I added my home and I’ve decided 8 cameras is safe, more would obviously be better but not needed. Could you please recommend me a build where I’m covered but still won’t break the bank? I want to keep it under 1k if possible. Thinking 4 bullets outside 4 domes inside. 4mp would be a plus and PoE so I can attempt(keyword attempt) to install it myself. Much appreciated.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone so I went the normal route of consulting a security advisor but after they quoted me 1k$ for one Axis camera and a NVR I told him to go kick rocks and now I’m on here doing my own due diligence with you fine people.

I almost pulled the trigger on this bad boy today...LaView 8-Channel 4MP Full HD 4TB IP NVR System (6) 2688x1520P Bullet Cameras, 100 ft. Night Vision, Free Remote Viewing-LV-KNU98SILEW4-T4 - The Home Depot

But I decided to hold off. Seems like a pretty good deal but I think I should leave myself open to atleast an 8CH just in case. I added my home and I’ve decided 8 cameras is safe, more would obviously be better but not needed. Could you please recommend me a build where I’m covered but still won’t break the bank? I want to keep it under 1k if possible. Thinking 4 bullets outside 4 domes inside. 4mp would be a plus and PoE so I can attempt(keyword attempt) to install it myself. Much appreciated.
Welcome ZeusyZeus,

Between the notes I pointed to you at SD and the ones which mark ( giomania ) has assembled you should have a much better understanding of what to look for.

Don't worry, it will take some time - use the notes as a guide. They're a collection of knowledge from reading lots of great posts here.

ZeusyZeus

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome ZeusyZeus,

Between the notes I pointed to you at SD and the ones which mark ( giomania ) has assembled you should have a much better understanding of what to look for.

Don't worry, it will take some time - use the notes as a guide. They're a collection of knowledge from reading lots of great posts here.
Ok thanks mat but still there’s no suggestions on brands or anything. I’ll read the notes and see what I can dig up. P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok thanks mat but still there’s no suggestions on brands or anything. I’ll read the notes and see what I can dig up. P

Hi ZeusyZeus,

Dahua OEM starlight cameras.

ZeusyZeus

n3wb
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Matt saw this today should I even bother? Ring Outdoor Wi-Fi Cam with Motion Activated Floodlight, Black-88FL001CH000 - The Home Depot

Hi Zeusy

Cloud based products are in truth products you do not own, but products you are basically leasing.

Personally I do not like to lease a car, but to own it.

Ring, Nest, and many others charge significant amount of money for the base crippled product - and then charge you a service fee to increase the functionality.

It's a great business model for them, however for many of us who want a reliable system - and a cost effective one, it does not make much sense to go that route.