Need help choosing a camera system or camera components

Joegreen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I purchased 2 of the dahua starlight zoom turret cameras from andy. Anyway here are some pictures of my house and where I would like the cameras to look. I'm wondering where I should place the cameras on the house?

IMG_20180620_192204711.jpg IMG_20180620_192222695.jpg IMG_20180620_192259645.jpg IMG_20180620_192241035.jpg

Joegreen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also I'm trying to figure out where to stick my switch. I was thinking of the attic but then I would have to run Ethernet down to the basement and over to where the nvr is. Then I though why not stick the switch in the basement. I would like to stick the switch in the basement but then I would have to run the Ethernet from the cameras to the basement and it would be easy for anyone to cut the Ethernet cord to the cameras becaube it would be right in front of you. So pros of attic is the Ethernet would be up high. Pros of basement is I don't have to run Ethernet down 2 floors and I already have power outlets in the basement which I don't in the attic.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Also I'm trying to figure out where to stick my switch. I was thinking of the attic but then I would have to run Ethernet down to the basement and over to where the nvr is. Then I though why not stick the switch in the basement. I would like to stick the switch in the basement but then I would have to run the Ethernet from the cameras to the basement and it would be easy for anyone to cut the Ethernet cord to the cameras becaube it would be right in front of you. So pros of attic is the Ethernet would be up high. Pros of basement is I don't have to run Ethernet down 2 floors and I already have power outlets in the basement which I don't in the attic.
You dont want to run a switch in a hot attic. You have siding, you dont have to run the cables exposed. Run it in the wall or behind the siding/trim.

Joegreen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I bought a used to switch with built in fan so it should be about to handle attic heat maybe not though. I'll look into running wires behind siding.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bought a used to switch with built in fan so it should be about to handle attic heat maybe not though. I'll look into running wires behind siding.
Hi Joegreen,

Depending on what model you picked up:

A lot of larger used switches designed for data centers are not going to handle very well excessive temps, they need fans just to cool themselves in normally operating data centers.

For example from an HP Procurve Aruba switch:
Operating temperature: 32°F to 113°F (0°C to 45°C)
Operating relative humidity: 15% to 95% @ 104°F (40°C), noncondensing

Google did a study and found that at > 80°F equipment failure rates increased significantly. So while the spec lists 113 °F in this case - you can expect it to fail significantly sooner at the higher temp range.

Joegreen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Alright so i have the cams setup and blue iris is displaying the cams. both cams are the same. When i click on one cam i can control the zoom and it displays the proper date and time in the upper right corner. When i click on the other cam the zoom, focus, ptz controls are all greyed out and the time and date in the upper right corner is from the year 2000. How do i correct these issues on this camera? I tried searching but found no answer. Also im not sure how to tell blue iris which hdd to record to. Where do i choose the recording hdd? Thanks

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Alright so i have the cams setup and blue iris is displaying the cams. both cams are the same. When i click on one cam i can control the zoom and it displays the proper date and time in the upper right corner. When i click on the other cam the zoom, focus, ptz controls are all greyed out and the time and date in the upper right corner is from the year 2000. How do i correct these issues on this camera? I tried searching but found no answer. Also im not sure how to tell blue iris which hdd to record to. Where do i choose the recording hdd? Thanks
you likely dont have ptz enabled one of the cameras...
The date on the upper right is from the camera. you need to login to the camera and set it up correctly.
see clips and archiving. Read the help file and watch the videos tutorials available on youtube and posted in threads on this site.