Need help picking out Equipment for remote Location- Needs to boot back up easily

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great ideas!!! I'll get the wood as level as I can with wedges and washers and a level. Then mount the camera onto the wood secondarily. I was trying to get the entire contraption level while I was up there on the top of a 15ft ladder and the things is heavy. I got it 90% but when you swivel horizontally with a long lens it dips down :/
I'd use washers between the wood and the mount, probably not between the tree and block of wood. Between the tree and block of wood I'd try to shape the block of wood (chisel, rasp, belt sander...) I suppose you could use some composite shims if needed.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good point Ford. There are lots of squirrels too that might chew on the exposed wires, i didn't even bury them. I'll have to come back in the spring and add conduit and secure the wiring better. I'm going to leave the wire as is and cross my fingers :eek: There is a beaver here that has been chewing on the dock pretty good.

1. I've been scratching my head on the channel layout and played with every menu available. Finally I reluctantly pressed the menu>system>default>camera button. I was afraid it might wipe out all the progress I have made customizing. But low and behold it lined up all the cameras sequentially. Now they are channel 1-4 thank goodness. Much easier to view."

I messed with the same issue about 2 hours yesterday on my Dahua 5216 16 POE...once it assigned a channel you could unplug camera power..power up and it would assign the same wrong channel again when I connected to the NVR. Will try the default button.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One of the things you will want to do when setting all this up is ensure the IP address range you are using on this network is unique to the addresses commonly used. For example a great many home networks are 192.168.1.x or 192.168.0.x and you would want to avoid these ranges. I would suggest making the 3rd set of numbers (octet) a value between 20 and 240. As an example 192.168.55.x or 192.168.199.x would both be excellent ranges to use. I suggest this because when you are using a VPN to connect to this network there is a good change the network you are on will be 192.168.1.x or 192.168.0.x and if the destination network has the same numbering schema it can give strange results. So if you make this network 192.168.17.x or something like that then the chance of you being at home and your home network also being 192.168.17.x is very unlikely. Since you are building this network essentially from the ground up this is an excellent time to take into consideration factors such as this and make the changes now while it is easy to do.
Know it's a long time ago...when you say set up the IP range to be 192.168.17 or 55 do you mean the NVR IP address or something with the VPN? Just looking into VPN and have no idea.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can't remember what that was referring to. Nayr has a very good new VPN thead that you should read. I think it is one of the stickies.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Know it's a long time ago...when you say set up the IP range to be 192.168.17 or 55 do you mean the NVR IP address or something with the VPN? Just looking into VPN and have no idea.
I was referring to your whole private LAN ip range. For example if you go to the store and buy a Linksys (Cisco) router and set it up on your Internet connection at home it will, by default, make your home private network the 192.168.1.x network. So your devices that are setup for dynamic addressing such as your desktop at home might get the ip address of 192.168.1.100 and your NVR might get 192.168.1.105.

The 192.168.1.x network range is THE MOST COMMON private ip range because it is the default addressing system of very common and very popular devices. This isn't an issue for all private networks that DO NOT have a VPN setup to access them. As an example lets say that your home network is 192.168.1.x and my home network is also 192.168.1.x. If you come over to my house and connect your laptop to my wifi you can surf the net and check email no problem. You can initiate your VPN connection back to your home from mine to check your camera feeds. When your VPN connects the software and the computer will be aware that across that VPN is the 192.168.1.x network, but the trouble comes that your are already on the 192.168.1.x (at my house) and on the 192.168.1.x (across the VPN to your house) so if your NVR at your house is on 192.168.1.105 and you try to access how does your computer know if that 192.168.1.105 address is on my locale network at my house or across the VPN at your house. Not every computer operating system and vpn software combination experiences this problem.

So to avoid this problem what I was suggesting in my original post was to change your home private IP range to basically any other network than the 192.168.1.x network. You can change that 3rd number, counting each number as separated by the periods. So you can change your network to 192.168.33.x or 192.168.200.x or any other number you like. Do not change the first two numbers, the 192 and the 168. Lets say for example that you changed the 3rd number to 53 because that is the year Playboy magazine was first published so your home private ip network is now 192.168.53.x. And like above if you came over to my house and you try to connect your vpn and access your cameras. Since my house is on 192.168.1.x and your home is 192.168.53.x when the VPN is connected your computer knows the 192.168.1.x network (because you are at my house) and the 192.168.53.x network (across the VPN to your house) so when you try to access your NVR which is on 192.168.53.105 there is no question that is across the VPN at your house and it works just fine.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi gentlemen, well we made it through the winter. Lost connection a number of times and the cable line broke from all the snow. But ultimately the IP cameras and NVR did their job well.

Looking to add a camera for top of the driveway. Currently had a wifi cam up there (in house pointing out window and therefor no night vision with the infared blocked by the glass) and it has been DOWN more then UP all winter. Wifi is terrible for IP cameras, a you have all stated. Problem I am running into, there is no good place to mount it? There is a small guest house but it isn't all that tall to see over the snow berms in the winter and there are trees blocking the view. There is a great company owned power pole but I take it, if I mount to that, I will be getting a call to remove it?? What o you think?

Any other ideas? I was thinking of either a 4mp Dahua static camera or the Data 2mp Starlight PTZ camera: Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)

Appreciate your input, you have made the rest of my system a success already.

Last edited:

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Caligril,

Nice to hear the system fared well over the winter. I followed your trials & tribulations. With spring/summer coming, it's time to tweak or expand the system! I hope the owner/partners are pleased with the result so for, and open to adding to the system!

it isn't all that tall to see over the snow berms in the winter and there are trees blocking the view. There is a great company owned power pole but I take it, if I mount to that, I will be getting a call to remove it?
If I undertand, you see your choices as:
a) mounting to structure that can't see over berms in winter, or
b) mounting to a utility pole, or
c) finding a spot to avoid "trees blocking the view"

I'll channel @hmjgriffon and @looney2ns: Use a "Test Rig" to find an ideal cam location.
Then I'd suggest setting a 6"x6" post. or steel pipe.

Looking to add a camera for top of the driveway.
Point to point Ubiquity Wifi gets good reviews here. No wire needed to top of driveway.
If AC power at top of dvwy, maybe send data over power.
3rd choice: string cat 5 through the trees, with up & down angles.. This might prevent snow buildup?

Best wishes,
Fastb

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2 can punch through some obstructions but the M9 is better for installations without LOS.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks FastB. Yes, A,B,C are my options. Thinking I might need to sacrifice viewing angle to mount on the structure. Or go big and install my own pole on top of driveway that is 10-15 ft tall (bc the snow blower throws snow that way and will cover it up). But not excited about adding a pole just to mount a camera. Will look so obvious at top of driveway, not fit in and much more work.

I was planning on running a cat 5 cable through a plastic pic pipe to the main house. Or using a ready to bury cat 5 cable, if they make such a thing. It is mostly pine needles for the first 6 inches then rock and dirt. So lots of work but would be happy with just getting it under the forest flora. I don't think I need wifi up there if I go cat 5 route and I want it to be stable. No was access to 120v power on driveway. Only inside the structure or one outlet down low that would look funny to have it being used all the time for the POE+ box. Wifi might be an option if I mount on structure but that will also double the cost. Need to use POE+ anyway, so might as well run the cat 5 and power the camera and get the signal?

Fyi this is a DIY project and I am the homeowner with my family. They are happy with what we were able to see this winter.

Test rig is a very good idea! But need to make a decision on a camera first.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try one of the starlights out, light house or windmill lawn ordainments make great places to mount a camera up front discretely.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@CaliGirl how far will the network cable run be to this spot?

Can you indicate with the the pictures you posted what specifically you want to view?

Yes cat5e/6 is available in a direct burial style cable.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The first photo shows the view out that front window in the guest house. There is a Wi-Fi camera there right now. It provides a pretty good view except for when the snow berms gets deep you miss half the driveway. And it would be nice to see more of the traffic that comes down the street for when friends are approaching and license plate capture for the police. Also sometimes it snows so hard that it piles up on the windowsill and blocks half the image until melts. And the current camera doesn't work at night bc the infrared reflects off the window.

If I mounted higher than this location then you start to have part of the view blocked by the tree limbs. So there is only a little sweet spot that works really well until the snow piles up.

Wish they had a mini black face dahua that water waterproof. The big black face dahua has been great but it's def a sizable camera to mount and quite obvious that it is there. Not that that is always a bad thing, but kinda distracts from the cabin feel.

The better angle could be from the powerline there, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mount anything to it. Any ideas?

I think the third option would be to put up my own pole near the bear box with a PTZ on it. But that would be super obvious and not fit the neighborhood and look funny. I like nayrs idea but those objects would get buried in the snow fast. Only objects people have around here are wooden bears. Might be better to have two static cameras facing opposite directions.

The cable run from the main house to the top would be approximately 200ft??? It's a long run but I think within the tech specs of cat 5. I can measure this weekend. Direct burial would be a lot easier then pvc since I'll be digging it myself.

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nice Tuareg, I wanted to buy one of those but the ones I wanted turned into unicorns..

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
"Allowed" to mount anything on a power pole? You won't get permission if you ask. Hard to say what would happen if you mounted something to it. I don't know your local regulations. Here, it would range from being ignored to having it removed. The farther out you are the better the chance of it being ignored. Also, the lower down it is the less they'd frown on it because it wouldn't interfere as much with them working on the lines. If it were my place I wouldn't feel too guilty mounting one temporarily but I'd have plans to erect my own pole when the frost went out. With your location, a big birdhouse up a pole would be great camouflage if you didn't want to disturb the country vibe. I'd personally be tempted to mount something obvious though.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The first photo shows the view out that front window in the guest house. There is a Wi-Fi camera there right now. It provides a pretty good view except for when the snow berms gets deep you miss half the driveway. And it would be nice to see more of the traffic that comes down the street for when friends are approaching and license plate capture for the police. Also sometimes it snows so hard that it piles up on the windowsill and blocks half the image until melts. And the current camera doesn't work at night bc the infrared reflects off the window...
The pole with the reflectors in this image:
http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii568/icloud22/driveway/9733E320-B943-48F1-9520-54090833E024_zpsbjdtoqzv.jpg
doesn't seem to be in the summer time image. This pole would seem like a better choice than the power pole vanishing act aside.

Your power pole has cables going down it that are buried, I'd expect less tolerance about attaching anything to a pole like this.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
nice Tuareg, I wanted to buy one of those but the ones I wanted turned into unicorns..
Ya, the Touaregs are nice. Especially the V10 diesel. But the service is pretty bad around here. I got rid of it.

Thanks Kawboy12R better to ask for forgiveness then permission. I won't risk mounting to it, bc I don't live close and that would be a headache to get a notice to remove it. Tempted to make it noticeable except that the cable line is flying through the air, and anyone that knows what they are doing and wants to cause trouble, can simply cut the cable line and we'd never get notification. Figured it was better to be discrete and catch someone wondering the property trespassing and call the cops before there is a problem. It is a dead end road in and out, so as soon as you call the cops, there is no getting away down a 2 mile dead end road. Bird house would be a good idea, but would need to be 10 ft. + in the air, but maybe that will do. Just need the snow blower guy to not knock it over with the blowing snow, also the snow tends to build up on bird houses and cover them. Needs to have enough overhang. Basically the snow makes everything much much harder :) The mounted Big black face Dahua has done great in the snow though, and the snow does not stick to it, it melts when it hits it.

The pole in the image tangent is a snow marker for the plows to not go off the edge of the driveway. They install them in the fall and remove them after the melt. They are not really high enough to prevent someone from covering or stealing the camera. Lots of people walk by the driveway during the day. It is the only road around and everyone goes on their daily walks right be here. So lots of foot traffic (relatively speaking).

I am really tempted to put up a metal pole (painted all black) with a black painted starlight big black face dahua, and a small street light and be done with it. Do you think I could handle doing that myself? Digg a deep hole, feed the cat 5 through the pole, dump quick mix cement into hole, put pole in hole, anchor to remain level, let it dry, mount camera to it?

Does Dahua have any other outdoor cameras that are smaller then the big black face dahua? That thing is a monster and I don't need more then 5x zoom or even less. Just need to pivot around really. Or mount to static cameras at different angles. But that would look security cameras for a compound. Want to make it look nice and clean and discrete and classy.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
"Allowed" to mount anything on a power pole? You won't get permission if you ask. Hard to say what would happen if you mounted something to it. I don't know your local regulations. Here, it would range from being ignored to having it removed. The farther out you are the better the chance of it being ignored. Also, the lower down it is the less they'd frown on it because it wouldn't interfere as much with them working on the lines. If it were my place I wouldn't feel too guilty mounting one temporarily but I'd have plans to erect my own pole when the frost went out. With your location, a big birdhouse up a pole would be great camouflage if you didn't want to disturb the country vibe. I'd personally be tempted to mount something obvious though.
Being in the business, I can tell you first hand it is a not okay to mount on the pole for an extended amount of time... when I have to climb them anything is torn off a pole... bird house, wire, lights, signs, anything not owned by the utility.... for repeat issues with certain utilities, they will even call the cops since it is tresspassing. It is a roll of the dice though of when they come out to do work on it. Could be next month, could be 10 years.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ya, the Touaregs are nice. Especially the V10 diesel. But the service is pretty bad around here. I got rid of it.

Thanks Kawboy12R better to ask for forgiveness then permission. I won't risk mounting to it, bc I don't live close and that would be a headache to get a notice to remove it. Tempted to make it noticeable except that the cable line is flying through the air, and anyone that knows what they are doing and wants to cause trouble, can simply cut the cable line and we'd never get notification. Figured it was better to be discrete and catch someone wondering the property trespassing and call the cops before there is a problem. It is a dead end road in and out, so as soon as you call the cops, there is no getting away down a 2 mile dead end road. Bird house would be a good idea, but would need to be 10 ft. + in the air, but maybe that will do. Just need the snow blower guy to not knock it over with the blowing snow, also the snow tends to build up on bird houses and cover them. Needs to have enough overhang. Basically the snow makes everything much much harder :) The mounted Big black face Dahua has done great in the snow though, and the snow does not stick to it, it melts when it hits it.

The pole in the image tangent is a snow marker for the plows to not go off the edge of the driveway. They install them in the fall and remove them after the melt. They are not really high enough to prevent someone from covering or stealing the camera. Lots of people walk by the driveway during the day. It is the only road around and everyone goes on their daily walks right be here. So lots of foot traffic (relatively speaking).

I am really tempted to put up a metal pole (painted all black) with a black painted starlight big black face dahua, and a small street light and be done with it. Do you think I could handle doing that myself? Digg a deep hole, feed the cat 5 through the pole, dump quick mix cement into hole, put pole in hole, anchor to remain level, let it dry, mount camera to it?

Does Dahua have any other outdoor cameras that are smaller then the big black face dahua? That thing is a monster and I don't need more then 5x zoom or even less. Just need to pivot around really. Or mount to static cameras at different angles. But that would look security cameras for a compound. Want to make it look nice and clean and discrete and classy.
throw an @ before someones username and it will help get their attention and helps with any typos like this: @CaliGirl
I was guessing that pole for for snow plows, do they just plop them in the snow?

I'd probably mount a fixed camera or two to the outside of the guest house, this would be a lot easier if you had even a little roof overhang. I'm honestly surprised by the lack of roof overhang given your snow fall. I wouldn't worry too much about someone blocking or covering the camera, they could just as easily wear a hoodie or mask. You can get scene change alerts for tampering. Also a question of whether you care more about covering your driveway or the main road.

Setting a pole of some kind, running power to it for a light and installing a camera is a fair amount of work and isn't cheap but it's doable. You may want to consult an electrician. The power company probably has an easement 10 feet either side of the power lines and you shouldn't put a light pole in that space.

Another thought would be mounting a camera on your "bridge" or on the guest house right below the "bridge"

Last edited:

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
throw an @ before someones username and it will help get their attention and helps with any typos like this: @CaliGirl
I was guessing that pole for for snow plows, do they just plop them in the snow?

I'd probably mount a fixed camera or two to the outside of the guest house, this would be a lot easier if you had even a little roof overhang. I'm honestly surprised by the lack of roof overhang given your snow fall. I wouldn't worry too much about someone blocking or covering the camera, they could just as easily wear a hoodie or mask. You can get scene change alerts for tempering. Also a question of whether you care more about covering your driveway or the main road.

Setting a pole of some kind, running power to it for a light and installing a camera is a fair amount of work and isn't cheap but it's doable. You may want to consult an electrician. The power company probably has an easement 10 feet either side of the power lines and you shouldn't put a light pole in that space.

Another thought would be mounting a camera on your "bridge" or on the guest house right below the "bridge"
Thanks @tangent all valid points I hadn't thought of. I was up there yesterday and walked the property. Looking at all the angles that might work. Top of the guest house would be pretty good, but also looks complex for me to install on a tall ladder. My biggest concern securing the cat 5 cable in a conduit so that you can't simply snip the wire, but maybe that shouldn't matter much. I guess anyone can do that and the next camera angle would pick them up. Or they can simply snip the cable line to the telephone pole and I loose all notifications and the live feed.

I would love to secure the cable line in a conduit from the power line or at least where it reaches a lower level to protect it better. And secure the camera's cat 5 in a conduit. Need to read up on how to do conduit. The best stuff for me to work with and my skill level I've seen are the thick rubber conduit that are flexible. PVC would crack after a few years in the sun and cold.

I did find a tree that might be a better solution then the guest house wall. It would provide cover from constant snow and rain and a better angle and it is very tall. No overhang on house like you said. And easier for me to run a conduit on th backside of tree and not need to make it look perfect like if it was installed on the side of th house.

I'm thinking 2 Dahua turrets at 2 different angles would be better, more cost effective and have IVS then another big black face dahua. One facing down driveway and another towards the road and parking at top. There's renters next door and it's nice to keep an eye on things. Thoughts?

Yes those snow poles only go down a few inches in the dirt and get removed after the snow by the snow plow
Company.

Last edited: