Need help picking out Equipment for remote Location- Needs to boot back up easily

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What camera would you guys suggest for better night vision than my Dahua IPC-HFW4431R-Z 2.8-12mm 4MP cameras? These cameras work well for daytime, but I'd like to add a fixed camera looking at the lake to accommodate the PTZ. I'd like to use that camera to set up motion triggers or IVS at the dock and boat. Since the PTZ doesn't always get parked in the same spot at night. What camera has good low light and doesn't need to be 4mp or have to be Dahua. Budget $150. Thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
BP2008 I ended up taking your advice and set it to return to a preset after use. Great idea. I also bought a Dahua Starlight for the driveway cam! THank you for the advice.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey guys, TeamViewer flagged me as a commercial user. I don't know how. I only use it to log into my blue iris computer and my home computer from my iphone. I think I might have left it running a few times. Doesn't look worth the trouble to get it working again. Does anyone have suggestions for an alternate option?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It isn't too hard to get TeamViewer to unflag you (I've had to do it 6+ times!).

Chrome Remote Desktop is a popular free alternative, though I don't know what limitations it may have, being tied to the browser like it is.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

jjhdtv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all. I ended up on this thread looking for help at a remote location. I'm using a blue iris system at my main residence and received much help here setting it up.
I now want to install 4 to 6 cameras at a remote location. Mainly interested in recording stills and getting mms or email images. Currently I use gms trail cameras but cell service is limited to certain areas on the property (I have been somewhat successful with directional cell antennas - but not at all desired locations). I want to build a network of wireless security cameras that feed a blue iris or equivalent nvr that is connected to the world via a cell modem. Live stream viewing is not going to happen, but I'm hoping to get triggered still images sent via cellular modem.

First challenge and question is help finding a wireless long range camera. I need line of sight of about 1500 feet. Obviously talking about something that can take amplified directional antennas. Hoping someone has a suggestion. Thank you,

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all. I ended up on this thread looking for help at a remote location. I'm using a blue iris system at my main residence and received much help here setting it up.
I now want to install 4 to 6 cameras at a remote location. Mainly interested in recording stills and getting mms or email images. Currently I use gms trail cameras but cell service is limited to certain areas on the property (I have been somewhat sudcessful with directional cell antennas - but not at all desired locations). I want to build a network of wireless security cameras that feed a blue iris or equivalent nvr that is connected to the world via a cell modem. Live stream viewing is not going to happen, but I'm hoping to get triggered still images sent via cellular modem.

First challenge and question is help finding a wireless long range camera. I need line of sight of about 1500 feet. Obviously talking about something that can take amplified directional antennas. Hoping someone has a suggestion. Thank you,
You dont want a wireless camera..search the forum for wireless bridge.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Check out how Ubqiuiti deploys PtMP (Point to Multi-point) ==>> here.

In their image below, just replace the 'Computer' in each of the 5 houses with your IP camera, also with a unique static IP in the same subnet of 192.168.1.X, outside of the router's DHCP pool.

If the IP cam locations demand it, make the home-base antenna omni-directional. I would probably use 5 GHz (NSM5) radios but a site spectrum survey would be wise.

airMAX-How-to-Configure-a-PtP-ISP-Style-AP_Diagram.png

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jjhdtv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing me towards ptMp. I have done a bit of googling and I believe this is the route I want to go.
Now, for the ptmp equipment I was thinking of the following
biquiti RocketM5 base station with 10 dbi omni
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M5 connected to each Ip camera (start with 4 locations)

Next few question to those of you that have tried something similar. Any idea of the range (direct line of sight) with the RocketM5 and loco M5? . Just want to make sure my expectations are realistic or if I need to start looking at other hardware . Max should be about 2000 ft.
Any battery/solar charging ideas for Ip camera/M5 setups? I have power at the base station. thanks all.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I recommend the AirMAX AC line of Ubiquiti because of the bandwidth requirements of 6 IP cameras. The AirMAX "AC" line of radios provide Gigabit Ethernet and the Gen 2 radios are geared for PtMP.

Suggestion at each camera:

Ubiquiti Networks NBE-5AC-GEN2-US, 5GHz NanoBeam ac Gen2 19dBi US

Suggestion for Base:

Ubiquiti Networks RP-5AC-GEN2-US

Suggested Omni antenna at base:
Ubiquiti Networks AMO-5G13, 5GHz airMAX Omni 13dBi 2x2

I highly suggest you join the UBNT forum. Here's a post from Feb. 2018 entitled "Assistance. PtMP Layout for Cameras".

Should you decide to go this route, I'd run your design by the forum for some expert advice. I have NOT set up any PtMP installs, only about a half dozen Layer 2 Transparent Bridges. I am a big fan of Ubiquiti radios, especially the AirMAX line. From what I gather, you'll likely have to turn down the power on these radios but this line is recommended because the amount of data you intend to handle (6 cameras).

Last edited:

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey guys, just reporting back after some time. All of the hardware I bought has been working wonderful through three winters now. With the exception of my cable modem or router. I have lost Internet connection at least three times this winter and currently it is off-line and will not reconnect for 2 weeks. Super frustrating. I’m sure it’s something as simple as unplugging the modem and plugging it back in. But unfortunately I cannot do that remotely. And I’m just making assumptions!

The Asus WiFi router has a simple timer on it to reboot once a week. Power off for 1 min and power back on. The concept behind that was in the event there is a hiccup or issue that a simple power cycle the router may fix it. Whether this has helped or not I am not quite sure.....

What I don’t have, is any timer or switch to the cable modem to power cycle it. So every time the power goes out and back on I’m just expecting the cable modem to wake back up and be happy again. But I think that may be where the issue lies. What do you guys think. Does the cable modem need to wake up first, and then the Wi-Fi router? Is there an order of events? Should I add a simple timer to the cable modem to reboot every three days so if there is a hook up it will fix itself? What if I had two digital timers and the timers were set to power Power cycle the cable modem first. And then a few minutes later turn on the Wi-Fi router?

Basically I just need the system to be more reliable and self heal it self after a power outage or cable outage.

What has worked amazing is the Dell computer Dahua switch and all the Dahua cameras.

I am currently using a 5 yr old Hitron Cable Modem for 100mbs service. Thinking of throwing some more money at the modem and replacing it with an Arris Docs3.0 32 channel to see if that will handle coming back online better? Ideas?

Modem I currently use: https://www.hitron-americas.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/CDA-RES-datasheet.pdf

Modem I’m thinking to buy:ARRIS SURFboard (8x4) DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem, 343 Mbps Max Speed, Certified for Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum, Cox, Cablevision & more (SB6141 Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YUU5628/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_W4z6CbB3P0REV

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My internet provider , comcast can remotely reset my modem. I would try contacting your internet provider and see if they can help.

If you know the IP address of the hybrid modem, you may be able to login and do a reset.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys, just reporting back after some time. All of the hardware I bought has been working wonderful through three winters now. With the exception of my cable modem or router. I have lost Internet connection at least three times this winter and currently it is off-line and will not reconnect for 2 weeks. Super frustrating. I’m sure it’s something as simple as unplugging the modem and plugging it back in. But unfortunately I cannot do that remotely. And I’m just making assumptions!

The Asus WiFi router has a simple timer on it to reboot once a week. Power off for 1 min and power back on. The concept behind that was in the event there is a hiccup or issue that a simple power cycle the router may fix it. Whether this has helped or not I am not quite sure.....

What I don’t have, is any timer or switch to the cable modem to power cycle it. So every time the power goes out and back on I’m just expecting the cable modem to wake back up and be happy again. But I think that may be where the issue lies. What do you guys think. Does the cable modem need to wake up first, and then the Wi-Fi router? Is there an order of events? Should I add a simple timer to the cable modem to reboot every three days so if there is a hook up it will fix itself? What if I had two digital timers and the timers were set to power Power cycle the cable modem first. And then a few minutes later turn on the Wi-Fi router?

Basically I just need the system to be more reliable and self heal it self after a power outage or cable outage.

What has worked amazing is the Dell computer Dahua switch and all the Dahua cameras.

I am currently using a 5 yr old Hitron Cable Modem for 100mbs service. Thinking of throwing some more money at the modem and replacing it with an Arris Docs3.0 32 channel to see if that will handle coming back online better? Ideas?

Modem I currently use: https://www.hitron-americas.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/CDA-RES-datasheet.pdf

Modem I’m thinking to buy:ARRIS SURFboard (8x4) DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem, 343 Mbps Max Speed, Certified for Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum, Cox, Cablevision & more (SB6141 Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YUU5628/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_W4z6CbB3P0REV
I'd lodge a complaint to your internet provider about the modem not coming back online after power failures.
I believe we discussed this before, but, a Backup UPS doesn't completely help because your power outages can be quit lengthy, correct?

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ya. I asked them to reset it remotely. I never get a clear answer if that is possible or not. They tell me They are doing something and then come back and say OK it’s done but they don’t tell me what they did. Today they tried and they said that they cannot talk to the modem. And that it is off-line.

Yes potentially long the power outages. At least a day or two at a time. So I think I would need a pretty big back up battery. I have been reading about DIY Tesla powerwalls but scared to build something without lots of testing and I don’t think it would be safe....

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ya. I asked them to reset it remotely. I never get a clear answer if that is possible or not. They tell me They are doing something and then come back and say OK it’s done but they don’t tell me what they did. Today they tried and they said that they cannot talk to the modem. And that it is off-line.

Yes potentially long the power outages. At least a day or two at a time. So I think I would need a pretty big back up battery. I have been reading about DIY Tesla powerwalls but scared to build something without lots of testing and I don’t think it would be safe....
Lodge a complaint with your state utility commission.
Neighbors internet up?

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Elderly neighbor said his Internet always comes back OK. But he is there a lot more and lives only 45 minutes away from his vacation home. So that helps.

Thank you for giving me the confidence to escalate this. I will see where I can take it.