Need help setting up a new Empire Tech camera

nodeal

n3wb
Reaction score
I can’t figure out if my new Empire Tech IPC-T54IR-AS S3 is DOA or if I’m just a dummy. I just purchased it new from Empire Tech Andy on Amazon.

The camera’s setup web page does not load at the default ip ( ) and there is no visible indication on the camera that it has power. Is there anything I need to do besides just unbox it and plug it into a powered Ethernet port?

Here’s what I’ve done so far:
  1. Plugged camera into my PoE switch. The switch UI shows that the port is up, has a 100M connection, is sending power, and reports a MAC address for the camera. My switch UI does not show device IPs.
  2. Configured the Ethernet interface of my laptop to a static IP of 192.168.1.10 and plugged it into my PoE switch.
  3. Tried to browse to . Crickets. Nothing found. Also nothing comes back when I try to ping this address.
  4. Swapped around cables to makes sure everything was good. No change
  5. Created a new 192.168.1.0/24 subnet on my router, plugged a spare dumb switch into that and plugged my laptop and camera into the switch. The camera is powered now by a UniFi PoE injector.
  6. Tried to access the camera again at the default IP - nothing
  7. Set the laptop to DHCP and confirmed that I get an ip in the 192.168.1.x range.
  8. The laptop is visible in the router clients table. The camera is not. Checked router (pfsense) logs to see if I can find the IP or MAC address if the camera showing up. Nothing found.
  9. Moved camera and laptop back to the PoE switch and repeated the whole cycle a couple of times.
  10. Banged my head against a wall.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It sure sounds like it is receiving power, so to confirm:

In a dark room do you see the red infrared if you look directly at the camera?

When you first provide power to it, do you hear a slight click of the IR filter moving?

I thought the UniFi POE Injector sends out different power than a normal POE injector?

Have you tried a factory reset of the camera? Sometimes the firmware gets wonky and maybe it isn't on the default IP.

Open up the slot where the SD card is and with it powered, hold the reset button in until you hear the IR filter click a few times - may be like 30 seconds. Then try again.

nodeal

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I saw this as I was walking out of the door for work, but I did turn the lights off and see that the infrared lights are on while connected to the PoE switch. I still can’t get the web page to come up, but at least we now have proof of life! I’ll try some more this evening.

nodeal

n3wb
Reaction score
Do NOT use the Ubiquiti 24VDC POE injector, it's passive and is the incorrect voltage for your camera.
I did a little more reading and confirmed that the Ubiquiti UniFi PoE injectors aren't standard PoE and can't be used with my camera. That seems to be the problem with the setup on the dumb switch. Knowing that, plus the fact that the IR lights turn on when plugged to the PoE switch, then I'll assume I just have some kind of routing or IP issue and not a dead camera.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully a factory reset clears out the cobwebs and you can gain access.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you do not have a POE switch yet, you could plug it into your router or standard switch and power the camera with a 12 volt wall wart to get it going.

Reaction score
And this is why we get to pick them up on the refurb list cheap. In all seriousness I hope you get it figured out, they can certainly be frustrating at times

lazydude26

n3wb
Reaction score
And this is why we get to pick them up on the refurb list cheap. In all seriousness I hope you get it figured out, they can certainly be frustrating at times
Is there any way to do the "initialize" without the config tool? I never tried to use a browser for this.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there any way to do the "initialize" without the config tool? I never tried to use a browser for this.
Yes most of us don't use the config tool.

The default IP address of the camera is 192.168.1.108, which may or may not be the IP address range of your system.

Unhook a computer or laptop from the internet and go into ethernet settings and using the IPv4 settings manually change the IP address to 192.168.1.100

1693519003560.png

Then power up your camera and wait a few minutes.

Then go to INTERNET EXPLORER (needs to be Explorer and not Edge or Chrome with IE tab) and type in 192.168.1.108 (default IP address of Dahua cameras) and you will then access the camera.

Tell it your country and give it a user and password.

Then go to the camera Network settings and change the camera IP address to the range of your system and hit save.

You will then lose the camera connection.

Then reverse the process to put your computer back on your network IP address range.

Next open up INTERNET EXPLORER and type in the new IP address that you just gave the camera to access it.

OR use the IPconfig Tool, but most of us prefer the above as it is one less program needed and one less chance for the cameras to phone home or for something to get screwed up.

lazydude26

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for that - in all the threads I've read here I can't recall any of them explaining that the config tool isn't necessary for this.
I'll give it a shot on my next camera.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I myself use the config tool, and it's what Andy recommends to install or update firmware with. It is much easier than messing with all the network adapters when on an active network in my opinion.

DahuaWiki

Install the tool and allow it access your network, click where the red arrow is and the help has the FULL manual.

338.jpg

lazydude26

n3wb
Reaction score
I've just started migrating from Foscam cameras to EmpireTech cameras. It took me a bit to do the first cam but I've got two up and running now on a test bench. Once winter's done I'll be mounting them outside and connecting them to BlueIris. I've read the cliff notes but there's a lot of settings I'm just leaving at default as they seem to work quite well.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've just started migrating from Foscam cameras to EmpireTech cameras. It took me a bit to do the first cam but I've got two up and running now on a test bench. Once winter's done I'll be mounting them outside and connecting them to BlueIris. I've read the cliff notes but there's a lot of settings I'm just leaving at default as they seem to work quite well.
We can assure you that leaving the cameras on default does not get the best performance from them, especially at night.

Do not be be fooled with a static image. It is getting clean captures of objects in motion that we are after.

And that is the mistake most make is being impressed with the nice bright static image. But we are not taking still shots. We need to capture a clean image of a perp door checking.

Even great cameras left on default/auto will result in motion blur/ghosting under lower light conditions. The firmware is designed to produce bright static images and with low light that might be a really slow shutter.

In terms of getting the most out of the camera, here is my "standard" post that many use as a start for dialing in day and night that helps get the clean captures and help the camera recognize people and cars.

Start with:

H264
8192 bitrate
CBR
15FPS
15 iframes

Every field of view is different, but I have found you need contrast to usually be 6-8 higher than the brightness number at night.

We want the ability to freeze frame capture a clean image from the video at night, and that is only done with a shutter of 1/60 or faster. At night, default/auto may be on 1/12s shutter or worse to make the image bright.

In my opinion, shutter (exposure) and gain are the two most important parameters and then base the others off of it. Shutter is more important than FPS. It is the shutter speed that prevents motion blur, not FPS. 15 FPS is more than enough for surveillance cameras as we are not producing Hollywood movies. Match iframes to FPS. 15FPS is all that is usually needed.

Many people do not realize there is manual shutter that lets you adjust shutter and gain and a shutter priority that only lets you adjust shutter speed but not gain. The higher the gain, the bigger the noise and see-through ghosting start to appear because the noise is amplified. Most people select shutter priority and run a faster shutter than they should because it is likely being done at 100 gain, so it is actually defeating their purpose of a faster shutter.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual shutter and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 (night) and 0-4ms exposure and 0-30 gain (day)for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more with a gain at 100 and shutter priority could result in gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting and that blinding white you will get from the infrared or white light.

Now what you will notice immediately at night is that your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night static image results in Casper blur and ghost during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

In the daytime, if it is still too bright, then drop the 4ms down to 3ms then 2ms, etc. You have to play with it for your field of view.

Then at night, if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 16.67ms (but certainly not above 30ms) as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur. Conversely, if it is still bright, then drop down in time to get a faster shutter.

You can also adjust brightness and contrast to improve the image. But try not to go above 70 for anything and try to have contrast be at least 7-10 digits higher than brightness.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent) and 20-30 during the day, but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images and contribute to blur.

Do not use backlight features until you have exhausted every other parameter setting. And if you do have to use backlight, take it down as low as possible.

After every setting adjustment, have someone walk around outside and see if you can freeze-frame to get a clean image. If not, keep changing until you do. Clean motion pictures are what we are after, not a clean static image.