Need help to find the cam for my drive way

Reaction score
Hello!

Looking forward to find a cam to store vids on my synology nas activated by movements day and night.
Requirments are 90° area up to 15m, IR, PoE, Faces and Vehicles (number plates) should be recogniceable.
Mounted about 2m height in the corner.

I think of a bullet cam maybe Dahua?

Thanks for you help!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A picture of the front of your house would help. Camera placement, mounting height and location are critical.
Also do not try to do to much with one camera. If doing LPR (license plate recognition) that is all the camera will do, nothing else.

Read up on DORI , this is what the camera will see.

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW5442t-ZE .... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 2.7 mm-12mm 4 MP Starlight
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+ -- variable 2.7mm-12mm bullet
IPC-B5442E-Z4E .... bullet 8mm-32mm variable focus zoom 4MP
IPC-HFW7442H-Z ..... Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera -- 4 MP variable focus AI

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
One camera to cover a driveway and get LPR is not going to work well. You haven't specified whether that driveway view is a driveway where vehicles pass through as they approach your house or a driveway with a vehicle, or vehicles parked in it. If the latter, it takes two cameras to provide full, complete, coverage of both sides. If it's a two car driveway it takes three, one one each side and one down the middle. An LPR camera is dedicated to LPR, especially at night. The zoom of the camera is set to just get the width of the roadway or driveway, noting else. The shutter speed needs to be quite high, 1/500-1/2000 second, to get a plate because of the severe lighting conditions. At night, the video is black other than vehicle lights and the license plate.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
To me, that looks like a total of five, or maybe even six, cameras if you want real security coverage. In the garage area, one on each far end plus two more for the areas between the doors. Then another right at the front entry door and maybe a second, there, for packages left on the floor.

Nice looking house by the way!

Reaction score
Thanks!

I am not a security fanatics, my place is safe and I just want to know whats going on. One Cam should go for it, the best (price/quality) I can get out.

garden view:

Attachments

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Best camera series right now is the Dahua 5442, 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensors. I'm assuming you don't have a lot of light at night and this series does quite well at night. Remember, no camera is plug and play", they all need to be tuned to the specifics of the installation. All of mine have been set and are different depending on the lighting in each specific location. Leaving things in "auto" is a plan for failure, IE blurry video that is useless for even figuring out what happened.

5442 Reviews

My daughter was in AU for a year for her job, along with my SIL. I almost took an assignment in my last "real" job in AU that probably would have run five years or so. Never got there though and I'm sorry I didn't. The back of your place looks even nicer than the front!

Reaction score
AUT not AU, I life in Europe ;)
I like Australia a lot, would be a place for me.

Dahua 5 Series with variable zoom & focus and IR should be a good way I think too.

maybe this:
IPC-HFW5541E-ZE

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 5442 series varifocals is a better MP/sensor ratio than the 5541 series.

Keep in mind these are varifocal and set it and forget it camera.

If you want the ability to zoom and focus to watch stuff, then you need a PTZ.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry about that. The eyes aren't really open this morning I guess :) Your place still looks really nice though, even though I was half a world off.

Yes, the5442E-ZE is a great camera, excellent day and night video. Contact Andy, EmpireTech Andy, here on IPCT. He can ship anywhere and is very reputable.
Mention you are an IPCT member. Andy Wang kingsecurity2014@163.com

Edit. See what I mean about the eyes? I read 5441E-ZE as 5442E-ZE Stick with the 5442 series.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
For license plates, start out here, there is a ton of information

This shows the setup for the dedicated camera.
You can just use the video to review the license plates when you have questions,
you don't have to do the ALPR (or other program) to store them.
The down side it the length of time to store them is limited to video storage.

Reaction score
OK, I think LPR is another part, I drop it from my list.

I think I am right now with the IPC-HFW5442
series.

What are the differences there? so many versions??
H-ZHE
H-Z4E
H-ZE
E-Z4E
E-ZHE
E-ZE

?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The -Z4 models have a 24mm varifocal lens I believe, much more zoom capability.

The E-xx models indicate extended PoE distances of up to 800 meters rather than the traditional limit of 100 meters. I believe they are all going to this feature eventually.

Reaction score
Sorry about that. The eyes aren't really open this morning I guess :) Your place still looks really nice though, even though I was half a world off.

Yes, the5442E-ZE is a great camera, excellent day and night video. Contact Andy, EmpireTech Andy, here on IPCT. He can ship anywhere and is very reputable.
Mention you are an IPCT member. Andy Wang kingsecurity2014@163.com

Edit. See what I mean about the eyes? I read 5441E-ZE as 5442E-ZE Stick with the 5442 series.
Andy is from China?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Andy is IN Hong Kong, China. He ships worldwide and EU countries are no problem for him. Drop him an email and ask him for a price and how he ships. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Andy works with both Dahua and users here on IPCT to eliminate bugs in their firmware and gets "custom" firmware and regular firmware updates before they get "published" by Dahua. He also stands behind what he sells and is very responsive.

Last edited:
Reaction score
is there a way to install a lamp post & 3 cameras (1 for LPR, 1 for looking down at the long length of driveway, 1 to look back at the house) where #1 picture was taken (looking back at the garage doors)? If you have porch pirates or intruders... longer reaction time the better.

Reaction score
@sebastiantombs thx, I will do
@Holbs can not follow exactly what you mean. On the house next to the garage doors and entrance, there are motion detectors and lights. Usually thats enough that this will not be the way intruders go. My thought on the one cam solution is, first not to spend too much money for maybe nothing, second just to see what the postman is doing, who is comming in, intruder was there at night and wanted to get in. Also lights are on the garden side, but there it will be much more difficult to get all corners watched. But still I am private with nothing big to get stolen. If a thief is getting inside and I of course recognize him, he will not be happy with my little friend if he wants to attack us.
The second cam should be in the left woodbuild garage, the oldtimer should be watched and alarm me if a motion by person was detected (not by a mouse).