Need help tuning BI to stop Frozen frames, ghosting,

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I dont know...make sure you are using a standard email address like gmail so it doesnt go to spam.
I am buddy, thanks. (it is a stable e-mail address).

I have this crazy idea that BlueIris is doing post-processing of the video stream..
It is because you informed me that I am unique on getting this Freeze frame/Ghosting, that I decided to solve it, once and for all!
Since I have eliminated every other bottleneck in hardware/software that I can imagine (monitored the Network traffic, CPU, Memory), swapped out components with no change, that I am now thinking:
I probably don't have BlueIris configured properly in the first place?

My plan is to work with BlueIris to see if that is my problem.

Its there, that nasty technical issue.... I just can't squash it yet...

Last edited:

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my system. 4 Dahua 1080p cameras 1 720p
Win10 64bit
i7-6700
12GB Mem
1TB SATA OS Drive and 3TB SATA Recording Drive

CPU is generally around 12%
recording direct to disc
Using onboard Intel video

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my system. 4 Dahua 1080p cameras 1 720p
Win10 64bit
i7-6700
12GB Mem
1TB SATA OS Drive and 3TB SATA Recording Drive

CPU is generally around 12%
recording direct to disc
Using onboard Intel video
What have you done to try and resolve the problem.
Have you adjusted iframe intervals to match the fps? This is a must.
Have you increased the receive buffer to 20mb?
Also with dahua, make sure you are using h.264 not h.264H

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am doing both now. I haven't done much to resolve yet other than making sure everything was up to date. Don't believe I had this problem when I first set everything up in September.

Thanks

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

fenderman, you did it! The answer was to enable hardware acceleration and to place all Blue Iris folders plus application into Windows Defender exception list.

NO MORE GHOSTING! Freaking amazing!

CAN'T THANK YOU BOTH ENOUGH (fenderman and nayr) for hanging in there with me as I went through all potential bottlenecks.

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it fixed. I made the changes to the buffer size iframe intervals etc and it seemed to help some. Tonight I made the changes to windows defender so I'm hoping that will be it.

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fantastic! If I had to, I would say it was windows defender...
Gotcha! I am sure you are correct on that, but holy smokes that hardware acceleration dropped the CPU down immensely!

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What have you done to try and resolve the problem.
Have you adjusted iframe intervals to match the fps? This is a must.
Have you increased the receive buffer to 20mb?
Also with dahua, make sure you are using h.264 not h.264H
I am still having the random ghosting/freezing after following all of your recommendations. I used the find/inspect option since my model camera was not listed under Dahua.

I did find that my cameras were set to h.264H so I changed that to h.264 but I still get random ghosting/freezing.
Set buffer to 20mb
Set all cameras fps and iframes to 30
Unchecked "Use RTSP/stream timecode"
Configured windows defender exceptions

Video example
Thanks

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would keep use rtsp timecodes checked...also try dahua rtsp...finally if your dahua camera records to SD card, disable that and test. Post a secreenshot of your dahua camera video settings

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
lower the frame rate and iframe interval to 15...also if you are not using the substream, uncheck it.

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
lower the frame rate and iframe interval to 15...also if you are not using the substream, uncheck it.
Made the changes. I'll report back after I have some new clips recorded.
Current:
CPU: 12%
Mem: 1.24G

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Happy New Year to all!

fenderman, nayr, are there any "tuning IP cameras for dummies" training info out there? I am a Hikvision network at the moment, but I'm not sure I'm getting everything out of the actual camera settings that I should be.

My newest experiment is the Ultra-dark camera from Hikvision. Its a 2mb camera that really has great nighttime video without obvious infrared (850nm) lighting.
I added an addition 940nm flood light to the area, and confirmed that this camera can benefit from that IR range.

I definitely do not have it tuned in yet though and so was wondering if you have any advice on how I could research/improve my knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Made the changes. I'll report back after I have some new clips recorded.
Current:
CPU: 12%
Mem: 1.24G
So far everything has just gotten worse. The new update has made the mobile streaming worthless. I'll wait until the next update is released and see what happens. I didn't have the ghosting/freezing problem when I first set this up so I'm not sure why it's started happening recently. I feel like it has to be something with the BI software.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So far everything has just gotten worse. The new update has made the mobile streaming worthless. I'll wait until the next update is released and see what happens. I didn't have the ghosting/freezing problem when I first set this up so I'm not sure why it's started happening recently. I feel like it has to be something with the BI software.
the mobile viewing issue is a know issue with .5...your issue is specific as no one else is reporting it so you need to email support...if you dont report it dont expect it to be fixed.

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the mobile viewing issue is a know issue with .5...your issue is specific as no one else is reporting it so you need to email support...if you dont report it dont expect it to be fixed.
I will send them an email. Thanks for all of your help so far. I saw the thread about the mobile viewing issue which is why I said I would wait for the next update to see what happens.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Not sure if you figured this out yet.... I've been going round and round with BI support about this. The thing that temporarily fixed it for me was going in each camera options, the "Record" tab, under "Video Compression" change it from "Direct to disk" to "Re-encode with settings...". That fixed the pixelation issue for me, however, I was using "Direct to disk" for a reason and I want to continue to use it, but so far BI support is not able to figure it out.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if you figured this out yet.... I've been going round and round with BI support about this. The thing that temporarily fixed it for me was going in each camera options, the "Record" tab, under "Video Compression" change it from "Direct to disk" to "Re-encode with settings...". That fixed the pixelation issue for me, however, I was using "Direct to disk" for a reason and I want to continue to use it, but so far BI support is not able to figure it out.
What camera are you using?