Need help tuning BI to stop Frozen frames, ghosting,

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am using Hikvision cameras.
Have you followed the advice posted here, with respect to iframe intervals, and receive buffer?

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I followed some advice over on cam-it, I don't know if it was the same as offered here. And also from Ken from BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I followed some advice over on cam-it, I don't know if it was the same as offered here. And also from Ken from BI.
You need to match the iframe interval to the fps...you also need to increase the receive buffer to 20mb..post a screenshot of both your camera video settings as well as your blue iris video config settings. I would also delete the camera from blue iris and add it again...

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Here's my screenshots. I did delete and re-add the camera(s). I have not made any hardware or software changes, this started happening after one of the BI updates a few months ago. My system has been running for years without any changes made on my end.

Attachments

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure if you figured this out yet.... I've been going round and round with BI support about this. The thing that temporarily fixed it for me was going in each camera options, the "Record" tab, under "Video Compression" change it from "Direct to disk" to "Re-encode with settings...". That fixed the pixelation issue for me, however, I was using "Direct to disk" for a reason and I want to continue to use it, but so far BI support is not able to figure it out.
I have not been able to solve my problem yet. Like you my system had been running for some time with no problem and then at some point I started noticing the pixelation/ghosting. I have experimented with different settings and nothing improved. I am going to try disabling direct to disk to see if that helps. I did some testing the other day and from what I could tell the live view does not pixelate its just the recorded version of the clip.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's my screenshots. I did delete and re-add the camera(s). I have not made any hardware or software changes, this started happening after one of the BI updates a few months ago. My system has been running for years without any changes made on my end.
Uncheck get events with pull point....
Check use rtsp tinecode..
You have a very low bitrate set...Try using a higher bitrate like 4096 and see if it helps...

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yes, mine only shows the pixelation after it is recorded. It is not visible in live view.

I have not been able to solve my problem yet. Like you my system had been running for some time with no problem and then at some point I started noticing the pixelation/ghosting. I have experimented with different settings and nothing improved. I am going to try disabling direct to disk to see if that helps. I did some testing the other day and from what I could tell the live view does not pixelate its just the recorded version of the clip.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have done all this with no change.

You have a very low bitrate set...Try using a higher bitrate like 4096 and see if it helps...

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Where is this hardware acceleration the previous poster speaks of that helped with his issue?

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe you are just suggesting things to try here so I am not saying you are wrong but BI support told me to lower my bitrate to 2000. I did not make a difference so I put it back to 4096. I had the same issue at 8192, 4096, and 2048.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe you are just suggesting things to try here so I am not saying you are wrong but BI support told me to lower my bitrate to 2000. I did not make a difference so I put it back to 4096. I had the same issue at 8192, 4096, and 2048.
Your bitrate was not set a 2000..it was set at 256 according to the image you posted.
I would suggest a complete uninstall/reinstall...others here and myself with hikvision cameras dont see this issue.
Another thing to ensure is that you completely excluded blue iris program files AND storage locations from antivirus scans.
You might also try constant bitrate instead of variable and try using hikvision rtsp from the dropdown and see if it does anything. Also try using find inspect so it pulls the onvif profile

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The pictures were from bonsey. I was just responding about the bitrate and what support suggested to me.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yea my bitrate was at 256, put it to 4096 with no change. Windows defender is disabled and I do not have any other antivirus or firewall software on my system. The only thing that makes the pixelation stop is changing from "Direct to disk" to "re-encode with...".

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I also have a 20x optical zoom PTZ Netcat/XMeye POE cam that is doing the same thing, but only after it is recorded, not live viewing. I'll have to see if it does it on my Foscam as well.