Need help with DDNS - Router - Cam setup

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Know this isn't secure at all but wanting to make it work..Tried to get remote access to my Dahua 5216 16 POE NVR..couldn't get it to work. Thought I would eliminate any NVR setup issues, so I hooked my 4431 camera directly to my router, reset the IP address from the 10.1.1 IP, got a video stream that I can view using the Config Tool on my laptop AT HOME. I have both the Dahua DDNS and a No-IP account (with hopto.org domain).. CAN NOT GET EITHER DDNS TO CONNECT TO MY CAMERA. Downloaded my router manual, looked on Google, etc. The VPN info on Google seems to imply you need a DDNS set up also.. I know port forwarding, DMZ, etc are insecure, just want to make it work for now.. Hell, if i can't make this work I sure won't get a VPN to work. Can some IP expert look at the attached pictures of Router and cam settings to see if there are any mistakes? I erased & copied 12.345 into a portion of my public address and erased MAC numbers. Been hammering at this for 2 days..had No-ip support and the telephone internet guys writing to me..no luck. If anyone can help would be appreciated.

Attachments

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
You have a cluster f* mess here - start fresh and reconnect your NVR then follow the below video. If this doesn't help you I'm not sure what will short of someone doing it for you as this is one of the most basic straight forward step by step port forwarding videos you have.

Also you don't need to go putting anything in DMZ in your case if you want to simply port forward as this will remove any small layer of security the NAT will provide even in port forwarding.

Additional resources:
Basic Port Forwarding for the DVR & NVR
How-to-setup-remote-access-for-nvr
Remote Access/Port Forwarding Theory - Dahua Wiki

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You have a cluster f* mess here - start fresh and reconnect your NVR then follow the below video. If this doesn't help you I'm not sure what will short of someone doing it for you as this is one of the most basic straight forward step by step port forwarding videos you have.

Also you don't need to go putting anything in DMZ in your case if you want to simply port forward as this will remove any small layer of security the NAT will provide even in port forwarding.
Just got home...will undo the DMZ immediately and review the video. Could you be more specific, was most of the mess in the Router setup or something with the camera?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I honestly didn't look at each picture closely however you have toggled so much over the course of a few days I'm worried that even following directions or a guide things still won't come together because some setting has been changed/flipped. So I would rather see you start from scratch to assure following the guide works.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just watched the video and redid the port forwarding. Zapped DMZ. Have 3 ports I'm supposed to use 8080 (since 80 is blocked), 37777 and 554. All show open by the port checker. Th cam IP is correct. I'm wondering if the Primary and secondary DNS addresses are okay between camera and router..Just don't know.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just watched the video and redid the port forwarding. Zapped DMZ. Have 3 ports I'm supposed to use 8080 (since 80 is blocked), 37777 and 554. All show open by the port checker. Th cam IP is correct. I'm wondering if the Primary and secondary DNS addresses are okay between camera and router..Just don't know.
You generally do not need to forward the http port to view an nvr remotely using a mobile device...so I would disable the 8080.
Also read the vpn primer thread.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
You can set DNS to standard google primary 8.8.8.8 and secondary 8.8.4.4

Now just populate your Dyn or Noip account into the router if their is a spot or the NVR, may need to reboot everything and you should be good. Grab your phone and plug in the sun or noip account info and NVR login info into the cam up and give it a go. Assure your on cellular and not wifi to make sure it's working remotely

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You generally do not need to forward the http port to view an nvr remotely using a mobile device...so I would disable the 8080.
Also read the vpn primer thread.
Thanks Fenderman..I bought a Moto G Play yesterday ($ 90) for that purpose, for some Dmss app. I'm trying to learn how to make the basic stuff work like it should, just to know it works and learn. I'm retired and was using a basic cell phone..still figuring out the Moto.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Now just populate your Dyn or Noip account into the router if their is a spot or the NVR, may need to reboot everything and you should be good. Grab your phone and plug in the sun or noip account info and NVR login info into the cam up and give it a go. Assure your on cellular and not wifi to make sure it's working remotely
Thanks - looking at tutorials you sent. Do I enter the 8888 and 8844 (with dots) in both the camera & router? Did it for the camera so far. On the router the Lan config has the default gateway 192.168.1.1 in the primary and the public WAN in the secondary.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks - looking at tutorials you sent. Do I enter the 8888 and 8844 (with dots) in both the camera & router? Did it for the camera so far. On the router the Lan config has the default gateway 192.168.1.1 in the primary and the public WAN in the secondary.
I thought you were working via the NVR... NVR DNS should be set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for the DNS. This will use google as the DNS.

I would recommend just doing the NVR. All your cameras will connect to the NVR, the only settings you'll ever need to mess with in the cameras for the most part is the physical image settings. the NVR will drive all your port forwarding, viewing, etc.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Question: I am at home on the laptop trying to test the Dahua DDNS & no-ip DDNS setups that I have previously entered. Will these work at home (to test) or does one have to go somewhere else (ie my brother's house) to test them (initially to see if they work)?

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I thought you were working via the NVR... NVR DNS should be set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for the DNS. This will use google as the DNS.

I would recommend just doing the NVR. All your cameras will connect to the NVR, the only settings you'll ever need to mess with in the cameras for the most part is the physical image settings. the NVR will drive all your port forwarding, viewing, etc.
OOps I was doing the camera alone on the router for now in case I really screwed something up. I read single cameras can be viewed on the DDNS, and the menu seemed the same for the camera as NVR. I only have 2 cameras, using 1 to test this. nothing is permanently set up.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
OOps I was doing the camera alone on the router for now in case I really screwed something up. I read single cameras can be viewed on the DDNS, and the menu seemed the same for the camera as NVR.
thats fine, i just figured you would want to get nvr. same process goes for camera by itself. your dyn/no ip will not work within your home as you are already on the network.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh crap - been beating myself silly and it won't work from home even to test out?

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Brother just accessed my cameras with me on the phone..damn. Thanks for your help...:):eek:

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A double thanks to y'all. Came back from my brother. Could adjust the picture settings, stream rates, everything from his place. Wish some of those DDNS manuals would state "don't try this at home" :D