Need help with my wife

Revlus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So.... hello everyone. Now that I've found this forum.... and I seem to spend hours a night reading it, my wife has gotten suspicious that I'm looking at pr0n !!!

So how to you all handle this situation?!

Ok, so just kidding. I actually have the opposite situation. There was an attempted break-in across the street from this house we just moved into two months ago. They have a security system that was armed, so alarm went off, cops were called, all is good. But apparently this neighborhood attracts the burglars every so often because they think its easy pickings.

So.....
While we always were going to re-enable the DSC wired security system, connect/extend it to Smartthings, and start installing cameras for security and other reasons (camera directed at the pool, see what the small kids/nanny are doing, etc.)... that time table has been drastically moved forward due to the recent incident across the street, and the wife says to get moving on this project. Yes ma'am!

Reading this forum, I see I have a lot of work to do to get to a full solution, and realized the BAD decisions I would've made without finding this amazing place... so thanks for that one! You've all likely saved me a lot of $$$$ too!!! So double thanks.

I'll be starting slowly, and continuously add to the system from all fronts, starting with BI on a POE+ network, and this forum convinced me Dahua Starlight cams are the way to start.

I look forward to seeing you in the threads.

- Rev (#new #stilldumbaboutcams #wanttolearn #diy #homeautomation #dscsecurity #CutnPasteCoder)

Revlus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Too True! I saw that 8MP Starlight and was reminded of Goose's famous line in Top Gun.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While we always were going to re-enable the DSC wired security system, connect/extend it to Smartthings, and start installing cameras for security and other reasons (camera directed at the pool, see what the small kids/nanny are doing, etc.)... that time table has been drastically moved forward due to the recent incident across the street, and the wife says to get moving on this project. Yes ma'am!
I'd recommend regular cellular monitoring not trying to just self monitor. You can get cellular monitoring for as low as $15/mo, but local alarm permit laws can complicate things.

Are you hoping to get it hooked back up by yourself or just planning on calling an alarm company?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
.. There was an attempted break-in across the street from this house we just moved into two months ago. They have a security system that was armed, so alarm went off, cops were called, all is good. But apparently this neighborhood attracts the burglars every so often because they think its easy pickings.

So.....
Welcome Rev,

Lots of great information being shared here.

I suggest you take some time and think about the threats you have in your neighborhood and what you would like a security camera system to do in terms of that, for example ( from my notes from another site ):

What do you want to accomplish with a security camera system?
  • Is the day time more of a threat? or night time? If night time look at the starlight models referenced here, if day time the 4K cameras work well. If a combination get both starlights and consider good 4K cameras.
  • See what happened?
  • Potentially ID suspects? Locate cameras less than 8 feet high and close enough to get a potential ID'able facial image. ( please see the ID distance list )
  • Help deter criminal activities? Mount your cameras in obvious locations.
  • Keep an eye on your car parked in your drive way? in the street?
  • Potentially ID cars which suspects maybe using?
  • Watch of other activities, wild animals, your dogs, your cats, birds,..
  • License plate captures? For successful license plate captures you may need to dedicate a camera to it as it requires camera tuning adjustments which makes the overall picture darker.
  • While you are thinking about these issues, you will need to look at potential camera installation locations and measure the distance to the potential suspect and determine if you are within the ID distance. You may need a camera with a better "zoom".

How many cameras do I need?
That's a difficult question to give a good answer to as it varies depending on the quality of the camera and what you are attempting to accomplish. I have seen 32 cameras in just one pharmacy, so you should not be shy about installing more cameras than you initially imagined.
For a modest house expect decent outdoor coverage with 6-8 good cameras. For better coverage and / or larger houses / buildings plan on getting a system which can support up to 16+ cameras.

Recommended Locations for outside cameras:
( For modest sized houses cameras can cover multiple areas - example one of the front of the house cameras can cover parking area, expect to use 6-8 cameras for a modest size home. )
2x for front of house
1-2x covering car parking area if outside
1-2x covering front entrance
2x covering side of house ( one on each side )
2x covering back of house
1-2x covering each entrance
1-2x covering sidewalk / street in an attempt to ID vehicles ( you may need a better "zoom" for this camera )
0-1,2x dedicated to read license plates ( LPR ). Note you will need to adjust/tune this camera to be able to read license plates.

Recommended - optional - locations for indoor cameras: ( If wiring a new house add cat5e/cat6 connections even if you decide not to include cameras )
1x camera per each entrance
1x camera in the garage
1x cameras hidden facing out from the TV/media center area at face level

BTW - in case you have not yet seen these notes:
It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

Revlus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you @mat200 !

Really great info here.. I was wondering how in the heck I'd cover this house/property... and now I know. Lots of cameras.
I appreciate the questions to ask myself before the install. Really got me thinking.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Be sure to give this spin: IPVM Camera Calculator V3 keep PPF>100, tutorial on right.
This will give you an idea of where to place cams, and what your views need to be.
You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
Take your time, and do it right.
Be sure to study @mat200 s links.

SLC

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can also look at the Envisalink 4 for the DSC wired system. It's great for self monitoring. They also offer cheap monitoring services as well. It's not cellular but it's better than nothing. Just make sure it's compatible with your system. I use one with my old Honeywell Vista 20p system. No complaints. Get text and push notifications during any events.

Revlus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks @looney2ns That IPVM site seems expensive, but likely will save me in the long run I'd think. Pretty powerful tool. I'll wait to sign-up until I figure out what I really want to accomplish.

@tangent - I wasn't planning on self-monitoring. I've already talked with the guy who did the DSC install on this house. The monitoring company he's trying to push me to is over $45/month if I want cellular monitoring. That's a $15/month premium for the cellular. Seems quite expensive. I was going to hire him to re-wire some zones to be more specific... Rather than "Upstairs" I want "bedroom1" or "Master Bed" etc.. Then was thinking of using his monitoring service, but want to research options here for NJ. He'll also give me the installer code so I can integrate with home automation.. after I sign the waiver... lol. Guess it's fair.
Curious why you asked if I"d be calling someone?

@SLC - Yea thanks... I was already researching them and others that I found mentioned on this site. DIdn't know they offered monitoring though. Envisalink 4 is compatible with my system.. at least I know that much so far.

SLC

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks @looney2ns That IPVM site seems expensive, but likely will save me in the long run I'd think. Pretty powerful tool. I'll wait to sign-up until I figure out what I really want to accomplish.

@tangent - I wasn't planning on self-monitoring. I've already talked with the guy who did the DSC install on this house. The monitoring company he's trying to push me to is over $45/month if I want cellular monitoring. That's a $15/month premium for the cellular. Seems quite expensive. I was going to hire him to re-wire some zones to be more specific... Rather than "Upstairs" I want "bedroom1" or "Master Bed" etc.. Then was thinking of using his monitoring service, but want to research options here for NJ. He'll also give me the installer code so I can integrate with home automation.. after I sign the waiver... lol. Guess it's fair.

@SLC - Yea thanks... I was already researching them and others that I found mentioned on this site. DIdn't know they offered monitoring though. Envisalink 4 is compatible with my system.. at least I know that much so far.
$45 a month is ridiculous and you would be a sucker to pay that. You don't need his sorry ass to get the installer code or to reprogram your zones. All you need is an alphanumeric keypad if you don't already have one. You can do all that yourself. You can also add more sensors yourself if you have an RF keypad or a way to add wireless sensors. Google is your friend. I did everything myself including finding the installer code, adding more sensors, and reprogramming zones. It just takes a little reading and an alphanumeric keypad. Tell him to shove the premium and piss off. All those guys do is prey on the unknowing and could careless about your personal security. Just want your $$$. Sorry for the rant but can't stand those type of companies. Again Google is your friend and I can do a little research to help you out. Do you know what type of panel you have? Should be a small what looks like a chip on it that might say Vista 20p or maybe Vista 15p. If you are unsure take a picture of the panel, where all the wires connect and post it.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I don't think you need an ipvm subscription.

I asked about the alarm to figure out if you were going to want help getting it working on your own or were going to just call up somebody who can set it up for you.

If you want to delve deeper into the alarm system, you may want to create a separate thread with pictures of the keypads, control panel, some sensors, and a list of zones.
$45 a month is ridiculous and you would be a sucker to pay that. You don't need his sorry ass to get the installer code or to reprogram your zones. All you need is an alphanumeric keypad if you don't already have one. You can do all that yourself. You can also add more sensors yourself if you have an RF keypad or a way to add wireless sensors. Google is your friend. I did everything myself including finding the installer code, adding more sensors, and reprogramming zones. It just takes a little reading and an alphanumeric keypad. Tell him to shove the premium and piss off. All those guys do is prey on the unknowing and could careless about your personal security. Just want your $$$. Sorry for the rant but can't stand those type of companies. Again Google is your friend and I can do a little research to help you out. Do you know what type of panel you have? Should be a small what looks like a chip on it that might say Vista 20p or maybe Vista 15p. If you are unsure take a picture of the panel, where all the wires connect and post it.
Lots of suckers out there... ultimately a lot of people are more willing to pay a high monthly cost instead of a larger charge for infrequent maintenance / installations. They do this for the same reason MS Office is now a subscription service.

Careful when it comes to telling the previous company to "shove the premium and piss off", there are cases where they still have access to the panel and do things to lock you out. It's better to be tactful or just lose their number. I'd lay odds the installer code contains 3 sequential digits that add up to the first digit. My favorite thing about a DSC panel is plugging in a PC link cable (or diy adapter) and firing up the DLS5 software to program.

Revlus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@SLC - yea don't want to pay $45/month, but don't want to fully 24/7/365 self-monitor either.

This is the DSC PC1555MX board. That what you were looking for?

I found what the default master and installer codes should be and tried the *8 and code and it didn't go into program mode.

So I assume you can wire in an alphanumeric keypad somehow.... I don't have one.

So.. question for you.

Because I want to split out some zones into more zones... I"ll need to expand this board. I just have room for six zones, but I calculate I'll need about 13 or 14 because I want to know exactly what room has an alert. So any reason to upgrade? Or just keep what's there and get an expansion board or two.

Revlus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good idea.. I'll start creating threads in appropriate areas... have multiple projects going on right now. Security alarm, smart home integration with that alarm, wire/setup network in this house, wire/setup cameras with BI, wire/setup access points.. list goes on.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@SLC - yea don't want to pay $45/month, but don't want to fully 24/7/365 self-monitor either.

This is the DSC PC1555MX board. That what you were looking for?
That's a very old, out dated panel. I personally wouldn't try to use it, I'd replace it with a new panel. This means replacing the keypads too.

How many keypads do you have?

Do you have the arm/disarm code for it so you can use it as a noisemaker?